Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrade of phone line

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Was there a special master socket with a built in filter for the broadband and phone in the hall?? With such a long line this should have been installed. Heck, an eircom linesman installed one for me on a new line about a mile from the exchange in Dublin city centre! Merrion exchange.

Those sockets can make a difference, it helps prevent any problems with interference within the house or if there is a lot of extension socket wiring etc as all those extra sockets are isolated from the main DSL modem socket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ikarie

Hi ikarie
    the technicial has changed the relevant overhead cable however line is synching at less than 1Mb at moment. This is undoubtly due to distance from, exchange, at 8km you are unlikely to get much faster speed than this.
    I would advise that you give tech support a call and have them re set your profile with you over phone, they may be able to suggest some way you can at least get a constant 1Mb.
    I also have to advise that at this distance there may be nothing they can do. Give them a call, you should receive a fault ref no. If you PM this number to me I can chase them for you.
    Sorry that I cannot do more to provide a faster speed, I did advise going into this and providing broadband on this line that your location would be an issue.
    Tony

The line is worse if anything, phone conversations are fading up and down there is absolutely no DSL connection.don't know what you're measuring but its definitely not my line.
    Did they replace the copper with string!
    PM sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

ikarie wrote: »
    The line is worse if anything, phone conversations are fading up and down there is absolutely no DSL connection.don't know what you're measuring but its definitely not my line.
    Did they replace the copper with string!
    PM sent.

Hi ikarie
    Then I am afraid that dispite our moving your line onto copper you are unlikely to get broadband there. More than 8Km would have been unlikely and would have offered a limited service but we did attempt this as you requested.
    We can cancel the broadband package from your account.
    I have logged a line fault to the local tech who is aware of the situation and hope to get this line / call quality issue resolved.
    Tony

Voice quality shouldn't be so bad even at 8km! I had neighbours who are nearly 8km from the exchange in Drogheda and on a clean pair of wires and they don't have those kinds of issues. Though that was after some considerable work by eircom a few years ago. Sounds like the line can't even handle dial-up as it stands!

Voice quality shouldn't be so bad even at 8km! I had neighbours who are nearly 8km from the exchange in Drogheda and on a clean pair of wires and they don't have those kinds of issues. Though that was after some considerable work by eircom a few years ago. Sounds like the line can't even handle dial-up as it stands!

Exactly!
    Which brings this all back to my first post.

I'll stay with this until this current problem is resolved, if only to view potential results, but the fact that the case was closed on the 'previous' fault even though it plainly was not resolved is giving me cause for concern.

• Advertisement

Was there a special master socket with a built in filter for the broadband and phone in the hall?? With such a long line this should have been installed. Heck, an eircom linesman installed one for me on a new line about a mile from the exchange in Dublin city centre! Merrion exchange.

Those sockets can make a difference, it helps prevent any problems with interference within the house or if there is a lot of extension socket wiring etc as all those extra sockets are isolated from the main DSL modem socket.
    No, he just looped the cable at the back of the socket to use the filter that came with the Eircom modem to feed the rest of the house , so it's a direct connection..

Exactly!
    Which brings this all back to my first post.

I'll stay with this until this current problem is resolved, if only to view potential results, but the fact that the case was closed on the 'previous' fault even though it plainly was not resolved is giving me cause for concern.

Hi ikaire
    as I have posted in my last PM will certainly be chasing this call quality issue with local line technicians. The techs have already replaced 5 spans of overhead cable and I will update as soon as I get technical feedback.
    The distance as To Be Confirmed should not cause call degredation in this manner.
    Tony

Fair enough, We'll see what happens.

No, he just looped the cable at the back of the socket to use the filter that came with the Eircom modem to feed the rest of the house , so it's a direct connection..
    For a line that long that's problematic, he really ought to have used one of those master sockets with the filter built-in. I thought they were installed by default these days. They have to be used wherever there's a phonewatch alarm installed. Maybe Tony could sort something out?! Though it sounds like the problem is outside the house from the way voice quality fades in and out. But at least switching on the central heating will not cause your modem to disconnect! Or dimmer switches if the phone wire passes them.

For a line that long that's problematic, he really ought to have used one of those master sockets with the filter built-in. I thought they were installed by default these days. They have to be used wherever there's a phonewatch alarm installed. Maybe Tony could sort something out?! Though it sounds like the problem is outside the house from the way voice quality fades in and out. But at least switching on the central heating will not cause your modem to disconnect! Or dimmer switches if the phone wire passes them.

Hi To_be_confirmed
    I had asked tech about this as soon as I knew the distance involved, her did not feel that the master sockets with built-in filter would work here as we cannot get sufficant DSL signal to magnify. It may help and if current work being done on line does not resolve the call quality will definitely take your suggestion. As you say there may be other benifits.
    Thanks
    Tony

• Advertisement

Hi To_be_confirmed
    I had asked tech about this as soon as I knew the distance involved, her did not feel that the master sockets with built-in filter would work here as we cannot get sufficant DSL signal to magnify. It may help and if current work being done on line does not resolve the call quality will definitely take your suggestion. As you say there may be other benifits.
    Thanks
    Tony
    I'm not sure the tech involved is sure on what they are used for even! They don't magnify anything. Their use has a variable effect but it will certainly help if anything. In such a tricky situation there's no good reason why he shouldn't have used one. Those sockets stop the internal extension socket wiring from interfering whatsoever with the DSL signal. These sockets work best when the signal is weak as the filter in them performs better than the regular microfilters that are posted out with every modem. Most lines don't need particularly good filters but when the signal margin is very low they can make a critical difference.

I think BT install those NTE1 faceplates (the UK equivalent of what I'm talking about) as standard on very long lines now!

Given the voice problems, I suspect the problem is more fundamental than any electrical noise problems or faulty internal wiring but if the voice problem can be fixed, the special filtered sockets will help further with low DSL speeds.

Fair enough, We'll see what happens.

Hi ikarie
    have spoken to tech and he would like to check your connection to socket. He has called on two occasions but was unable to get access. Would you be able to PM me a suitable time for appointment and a good contact number.
    This tech is fully aware of both situations.
    Tony

Hi ikarie
    have spoken to tech and he would like to check your connection to socket. He has called on two occasions but was unable to get access. Would you be able to PM me a suitable time for appointment and a good contact number.
    Tony

PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

PM sent

Thanks ikarie and apologies for any delay.

I see an onsite appointment is pending /or in process over this weekend. My colleague Tony is off for the next weeks, so if you'd like to re-arrange an appointment with the engineer, just PM me with a convenient time.

Otherwise, you can call directly into eircom Technical Support and they can arrange an appointment straight away.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Regards,
    Ant

Thanks ikarie and apologies for any delay.

I see an onsite appointment is pending /or in process over this weekend. My colleague Tony is off for the next weeks, so if you'd like to re-arrange an appointment with the engineer, just PM me with a convenient time.

Otherwise, you can call directly into eircom Technical Support and they can arrange an appointment straight away.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Regards,

Ant

Ant,

PM sent............

Ant,

PM sent............

Thanks for PM.

I've re-arranged an engineering appointment tomorrow - Wednesday 12 OCTOBER.

The engineers already have your mobile contact number and advised that they have previously made 3 appointments on 26th Sept, 6th and 7th Oct.

As it's quite late, and you haven't given a specific time, the engineer will try to attend your premises either in the morning or the afternoon, or both.

I hope this is suitable. If you wish to re-arrange this appointment, please call directly into eircom Technical Support :

Best regards,
    Ant

Thanks for PM.

I've re-arranged an engineering appointment tomorrow - Wednesday 12 OCTOBER.

The engineers already have your mobile contact number and advised that they have previously made 3 appointments on 26th Sept, 6th and 7th Oct.

As it's quite late, and you haven't given a specific time, the engineer will try to attend your premises either in the morning or the afternoon, or both.

I hope this is suitable. If you wish to re-arrange this appointment, please call directly into eircom Technical Support :

Ant,

Best regards,
    Ant

Initially I had composed a long post to answer some some of the above appointment misses on the earlier post but as you gleamed from the PM I was pretty fed up and did'nt really want to go into it.
    But you have brought it up again.
    So here we go,

3 appointments on 26th Sept, 6th and 7th Oct

There was NO PRIOR ARRANGEMENT, NO CALL RECORD, they just showed up and no one was there, plus they had the alternative contact details!
    Usually there is someone there ALL THE TIME but school, shopping, etc do occur this is the only time someone would not be present.

Quote: " I've re-arranged an engineering appointment tomorrow - Wednesday 12 OCTOBER."

Did you now, and did you call the contact number and confirm this?

Initially I had composed a long post to answer some some of the above appointment misses on the earlier post but as you gleamed from the PM I was pretty fed up and did'nt really want to go into it.
    But you have brought it up again.
    So here we go,

3 appointments on 26th Sept, 6th and 7th Oct

There was NO PRIOR ARRANGEMENT, NO CALL RECORD, they just showed up and no one was there, plus they had the alternative contact details!
    Usually there is someone there ALL THE TIME but school, shopping, etc do occur this is the only time someone would not be present.

Quote: " I've re-arranged an engineering appointment tomorrow - Wednesday 12 OCTOBER."

Did you now, and did you call the contact number and confirm this?

Hi ikarie,

Thanks for reply.

Apologies for replying here. I'm unable to reply to your PM directly for some reason. You may have this option accidently blocked - under 'Options', in your Boards 'Inbox'.

Just to advise : An engineer has been assisgned to your fault today. I've checked with Technical Support and they confirm that an engineering crew has been appointed to fix and resolve any related eircom issues on your phoneline /broadband. Technical Support have also advised that they have given your mobile contact number to the engineers. A case has already been logged with the Technical Support Department and is awaiting the engineer's report.

Once the engineers have completed their work, they will report back to Technical Support, who inturn will contact you directly on your mobile contact number /or home phone.

The engineer may need to call you directly, though only if they need to gain access to your premises. If they find the fault is outside your premises they will report this to Technical Support, who inturn will notify you direct on your contact phone number.

As advised, if you need any further updates at any stage, please call into Technical Support. Please give your case reference or your phone number, /eircom Account number. Don't worry if you don't have your case reference with you, as your phone number will be fine.

Kind regards,
    Ant

Update

I've only just arrived back in the country.
    Eircom had called on Thursday, rang my partners mobile but only needed to check outside line.
    waiting on results.
    still no DSL lock, audio on the line still varying in strength.

Update

I've only just arrived back in the country.
    Eircom had called on Thursday, rang my partners mobile but only needed to check outside line.
    waiting on results.
    still no DSL lock, audio on the line still varying in strength.

Hi

Thanks for contacting eircom on boards.

Technical Support have tried to call you, as below. If you need a further update, please contact Technical Support directly : The have advised as follows

"17/10/2011 19:26:06
    This has been resolved as an overhead cable fault

Engineer notes "LINE REPAIRED.......TOO FAR FOR BROADBAND TO SYNC UP......DISTANCE ISSUE"

No answer landline / mobile
    "

There is no need to quote your case reference when calling into Technical Support. You just need to give your home phone number.

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

neiphin wrote: »
    this will be interesting
    so 2 months later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Tony, if no word by next Wednesday (14th Sept) I WILL make the decision on Eircom and review all accounts.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiphin viewpost.gif
    @ikarie
    the suspence is killing me
    how did you get on ?
    did tony sort things out ?

Hi Guys,

Tony is off until next Tuesday I have re-escalated the issue again. However I can not guarantee when I will get a definitive resolution I'm afraid.

Thanks, Mark

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiphin viewpost.gif
    @ikarie
    the suspence is killing me
    how did you get on ?
    did tony sort things out ?

Hi Guys,

Tony is off until next Tuesday I have re-escalated the issue again. However I can not guarantee when I will get a definitive resolution I'm afraid.

Thanks, Mark
    so ikarie
    your going to start from scratch again ?
    in your origional post ...you were comming here as a last chance after been given the runaround allready

neiphin wrote: »
    so ikarie
    your going to start from scratch again ?
    in your origional post ...you were comming here as a last chance after been given the runaround allready

Yeah, Its a bit beyond funny, slow to dsl lock then a constant half a meg on a damaged line now no connection at all on a repaired line??
    There is a disconnect going on somewhere and I'm not talking about the phone line!
    The other half wants me to pull the plug ASAP so next week it will be gone, then I can put the phone wires back into the wall.

Yeah, Its a bit beyond funny, slow to dsl lock then a constant half a meg on a damaged line now no connection at all on a repaired line??
    There is a disconnect going on somewhere and I'm not talking about the phone line!
    The other half wants me to pull the plug ASAP so next week it will be gone, then I can put the phone wires back into the wall.

Hi ikarie,

Would you be able to PM a day and time to arrange an appointment next week as per Tonys PM last week

==================

"Hi ikarie

Actually have posted below to you but should add that I am off next week , could you PM the required details to either of the two eircom reps on Boards.ieAnt or Mark. They will have full acces to my notes to this point.
    I have spoken to tech and he would like to check your connection to socket. He has called on two occasions but was unable to get access. Would you be able to PM me a suitable time for appointment and a good contact number.
    Tony"

Thanks, Mark

Yeah, Its a bit beyond funny, slow to dsl lock then a constant half a meg on a damaged line now no connection at all on a repaired line??.
    Hi ikarie,

Would you be able to PM a day and time to arrange an appointment next week as per Tonys PM last week

10 mins, after you saud you were leaving them
    dosent that tell you something

existing costumers are like something on your shoe
    they have you, people tend not to change providers

Hi all, just finishing this thread.
    Eircom have now confirmed I will not get broadband, that account will now be closed and I will be credited charges.
    Will now be concentrating on my wireless providers.

Hi all, just finishing this thread.
    Eircom have now confirmed I will not get broadband, that account will now be closed and I will be credited charges.
    Will now be concentrating on my wireless providers.

Hi ikarie,

Just to clarify, the message I Sent was as follows:

"So I am afraid given the distance your address is from the exchange the broadband service will not work on your line.

So we will need to cancel the broaband on your account and credit any charges to date.

Sorry I could not get back to you with a more positive outcome.

Thanks, Mark "

So I have cancelled the broadband on the account and I will credit all "broadband charges". This does not extend to your line or call package.

However if you wish to cancel your entire account I can advise you of the process to do so.

Thanks, Mark

So I have cancelled the broadband on the account and I will credit all "broadband charges". This does not extend to your line or call package.

Thank you

did they fix the line issue?

• Advertisement

Thank you

did they fix the line issue?

Hi ikarie,

The technican did find an issue on the line which he has fixed. The line is testing ok, are you still having problems with the phone connection your end?

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement