Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GU10 queries

• 18-08-2011 3:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

if i replace all the GU10 halogen downlights in our house with LED versions can i then replace the insulation back over the areas in the attic it has been rolled back from beacause of the fire rish from the GU10s over heating and possibly catching fire or do i still need to leave fresh air gaps so to speak. way too many for my liking and tryin to sort before winter sets in.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Could cause issues for later life if the LED's are replaced back to GU10's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

it might affect led lamp life but the thermal insulation covering the led lamps prob wouldn't be a hazard

there are fittings available which are suitable for covering with thermal insulation-they're called 'F CAPPED '

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

davehey79 wrote: »
    if i replace all the GU10 halogen downlights in our house with LED versions can i then replace the insulation back over the areas in the attic it has been rolled back from beacause of the fire rish from the GU10s over heating and possibly catching fire or do i still need to leave fresh air gaps so to speak. way too many for my liking and tryin to sort before winter sets in.

You can get insulation guards which fit over the lamps (and transformers if low voltage) and allow you insulate over them, however you should confirm with your lamp manufacturer that they can be covered at all.

Btw, I've read on the web that you should consider installing a fire hood over each downlight if there's a room above. Plaster ceilings can resist a fire for at about 30mins, but cheap or badly fitted downlights may allow the hot gasses enter the ceiling cavity and reduce this fire resistance. The fire hood helps restore the fire rating and can give you more time to escape.

As already mentioned , using LEDs is ok is fine until someone decides to refit the bulbs

i'd say hoods are nearly obsolete now

you can buy fire-rated fittings for a few euro extra

they have an intumescent seal

http://www.downlightsdirect.co.uk/led-downlights/evoled-fire-rated-ip65-led-downlight-3x3w-9w-/cat_47.html

there's an example of a light that is both fire-rated and F capped

ie:makes good the hole in the fire-barrier and can be covered with thermal insulation

• Advertisement
Advertisement