Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sirrus conversion to drop handlebars, a good idea?

• 18-08-2011 3:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭

Lads,
    Purchased a Specialized Sirrus Comp 2008 a few years ago, my first decent bike which served me well for commuting. However, as is all too common, I’ve progressed to a Road Bike, currently clocking up about 200-250 km a week.
    My Sirrus is now lying up, virtually unused and gathering dust as I no longer have the option of commuting to work. I’m thinking of converting it to drops to use as a winter / audax bike (would like to do a few long distance events).
    The Sirrus is a triple, with Tiagra 9 speed, which I think might be suitable. However, it seems very heavy compared to my road bike, and I’m not sure if the geometry of the frame would lend itself to this conversion. I’d estimate it would cost about €300 in all (handlebars, STI Shifters, bar tape, stem, cables and replacing the V brakes as I don’t think they are compatible with STI Shifters?). There’s already a good set of full length mudguards fitted.
    I wonder if this is a good idea (searched and saw a thread where blorg said he’d done this previously), and if a converted Sirrus would make a good audax bike. Cheers for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

You could do it for cheaper than that. I have 9 speed triple tiagra sti shifters I took off my touring bike. I changed to butterfly hnadlebars, so I have drop bars also that I have for sale. They haven't been used as I took everything off when I got the bike new a few months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Vélo wrote: »
    You could do it for cheaper than that. I have 9 speed triple tiagra sti shifters I took off my touring bike. I changed to butterfly hnadlebars, so I have drop bars also that I have for sale. They haven't been used as I took everything off when I got the bike new a few months ago.

Yep. I got all the bits for 120 euro. Tis just a matter now of doing the job.

Advertisement