Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you have a BluRay player?

• 18-08-2011 3:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I was just talking to a friend of mine last night and he commented on BluRay's never caught on like DVD's did. I have had a BluRay player for the last year and before that had the HD-DVD player for the Xbox 360 before HD-DVD lost the format war.

Has it reached a stage now where people have moved beyond physical format mediums and are happy to download a 700mb avi rip in crappovision instead of embracing High Definition.

What do you have? 418 votes

I use BluRay
    0% 0 votes
    I don't use BluRay
    31% 133 votes
    DVD's for me
    17% 72 votes
    I download and don't use physical disks
    25% 106 votes
    Atari VHS
    25% 107 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Stinicker wrote: »
    .......are happy to download a 700mb avi rip in crappovision instead of embracing High Definition......

Noob! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Bluray? OMG thats loike soooo last century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I'm as happy downloading a 3gb bluray rip, takes less time than walking to the shop to rent a bluray would. And no, I have no bluray player, so there's that too.

Have 5 of them in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I don't think the extra cost of the blue ray disks are worth the money so for me I use DVD and on the odd night I throw on an old video tape

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Have a BluRay in the PS3. Prefer to download in Hi-res, normally 8gb files and play them back with a WD-TV live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,115 ✭✭✭✭listermint

TPD wrote: »
    I'm as happy downloading a 3gb bluray rip, takes less time than walking to the shop to rent a bluray would. And no, I have no bluray player, so there's that too.

They have the internet in Donegal :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I've given up on Physical Media. DVDs/BDs just take up too much space for the amount of times I'd watch them. At least when you download Movies you have it with you on the go, watch it when you want to and delete it again if need be. It's just much more convenient, and of course cost effective.

I usually get a HD download, but not always as the extra time it rakes to download it usually isn't worth it when you're watching it on a Laptop size screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Stinicker wrote: »
    700mb avi rip in crappovision instead of embracing High Definition.

Maybe in the 90s :eek:

With hard drives storage solutions being so cheap and internet connections being so fast, web-dl rips is where its at these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I download all my stuff, HD if it's there.

If a movie is worthy of a purchase though I will buy it.
    Say TT:3D or Senna or Blue Planet or Anal Invasion III

I've a Blu-ray player and a PS3 but watch 99% of it all on a Popcorn Hour/Xstreamer Ultra.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Physical media? How quaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

PS3, but only have a handful of cds. Watch everything on the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I use my blu-ray player to stream all those high def .mkv files on my NAS ;)
    No poxy standard definition for me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

Playstation 3 in the house for a number of years..only stuck a blu ray in her on a few occasions tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

use the ps3, that has the blu-ray player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

use the ps3, that has the blu-ray player

And the internets. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

I too have a PS3.
    Dont think i've ever watched a bluray on it. Not even once.

Blu-Ray's seem too expensive anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

PS3 also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Blu-ray drive on my laptop, but chose every option cause I can ^_^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I download all my stuff, HD if it's there.

If a movie is worthy of a purchase though I will buy it.
    Say TT:3D or Senna or Blue Planet or Anal Invasion III

I've a Blu-ray player and a PS3 but watch 99% of it all on a Popcorn Hour/Xstreamer Ultra.

I like how you snuck that in :D

I have a PS3, I think I've watched 2 Blue Rays on it (rented from XtraVision just to try it out...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

ps3 for me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Still use VHS, bought some Stephen Segal DVDs yesterday and plan on getting a Planet of The Apes boxset on Blu Ray soon. Might order it tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Dont own a bluray player or ps3 etc. Could never think of any movie that
    I enjoyed enough to buy just for hi-def.

Did get tempted when lord of the rings came out, as I never get tired of
    watching all the tiny details in the scenery in that film.

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I don't think the extra cost of the blue ray disks are worth the money so for me I use DVD and on the odd night I throw on an old video tape

Films on Blu ray can be bought fairly cheap now as long as you don't use a rip off high street store in Ireland. Buy online and you can buy the same films for far less than what the shops are charging for them here.

About a year or so ago, I bought La Haine on blu ray for £5.99 on Amazon (think it was on offer at the time) after being told in HMV in Limerick that the same film on blu ray would cost €24.99.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

LighterGuy wrote: »
    I too have a PS3.
    Dont think i've ever watched a bluray on it. Not even once.

Blu-Ray's seem too expensive anyways.

huh? blu-rays are sub 15 quid and less these days, new releases are the same as dvds were a few years ago. last bunch of blurays I bought were 7.99

I like blu-ray, depends on the movie, some stuff looks absolutely stunning on it, like Alien, you wouldnt think it was a 30 year old movie to see it in HD, looks better than most stuff being made today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I have a blue ray drive in my PC that's not been used to play one blue ray, It's barely even had cds put through it. Bar the OS and a few pieces of software it's pretty much unused.

I am planning to buy a HD projector in the coming months but even then I'll probably download to save the 30 minute drive into Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

I watch the film live.

ot, does anyone have a blu ray? they're no different than dvds right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

We have one but didn't get it specifically because it was Blu- ray, it was just part of the media player/ surround sound thingy we bought. We did buy a couple of blu- rays once but tend to mostly download. If there's something really good graphically in the cinema then we'll go to the cinema. Having said that though, I hate IMAX, my ears were ringing for the whole night the last time I went.

Saw Watchmen in Blu- ray and I thought it was amazing but saw it on TV again last week and it was the same as I remember the br being.

Sky movies HD pack and downloads is sufficient for my movie viewing., wouldn't waste my money on a bluray player or blue ray discs. Cant really imagine going into a shop and buying any form of hard copy any more unless its for a present or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Blu ray Fail...

You may as well have betamax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I have a PS3 for my Bluray player.

I will buy Bluray where possible but only online. Shops are rip off merchants.

If I want to buy a Bluray that is region locked and released in America only, then I will download it instead of paying for it. Only stupid bastards don't implement region free on their Bluray discs.

Bluray = Betamax?? What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭DanTheMan91

I had a PS3 and watched 1 or 2 blue ray films, didn't notice anything spectacular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

I don't have a BluRay player, but I selected all the options in your poll anyway. That'll learn ya, with your fancy colourdy DVDs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Magic Beans

Blu Ray player with a 1.5 TB external USB drive attached and loaded with full HD rips (6-8gb each). Sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Don't have a bluray player but I do get HD movies, especially if I'm in the mood for watching older movies again.

Die Hard HD :D

• Advertisement

I have 2 players (not ps3), dont own 1 blu ray disk.

8gb hd downloads are where its at tbh.

In saying that Watched the dark knight on the blu ray player and the quality is ridiculous, way better than any download.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yes I do, the PS3. I don't really watch movies though, it's just for games. I think the rest of my family have used it the odd time for Blu-Ray though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Haven't gone near Blu-ray yet to be honest.

Would prefer a DVD over an avi to be honest. An actual DVD blows away a .avi file burned to DVD in terms of sound quality especially if played on a 5.1 system. There's just no comparison between re-coded 2.0 sound and original 5.1 sound.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Just to add my own input I have a Bluray player and a BluRay drive in the pc, I find it useful as a storage medium, but not as handy as an external harddrive.

I have only 8 or 9 BluRay films however I have rented at least 20 titles this year and usually go for xtravision €2 deal. BluRay disks are not too expensive as others have said and all of my titles have actually been bought in the North or whilst in England, buying anything like this in ROI is just a mega rip off.

I have a 2TB drive with dozens of 1080 BDrips and for every bluray disk I'd have several films on the harddrive. Just it takes ages to download a 10GB or 8GB rip. I could count the amount of times I went to the cinema on one hand in the last year since I got into BluRay and downloading. I still find the majority of people I know downloading off crap like torrents and frostwire and this gives really mixed results, usually cams and crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Dont have one, getting one for star wars tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Double post.... odd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I'm still stranded in DVD Land. I don't have a bluray player, and even if I did, I don't have a HD TV so it would be a complete waste. Happy enough with DVDs though. I spent ages buying DVD versions of all the old horror flicks I used to own on video, and I don't fancy re-buying them all again on bluray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I've had blu-ray for a few years now and to be fair unless you have the Right TV and sound system there's little point paying the extra for a Blu-ray disk.
    When you do though it's simply brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

Don't have a need for Blu-ray disks myself. There are plenty of torrent sites where I can download either a compressed 8GB rip or full quality untouched Blu-rays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I don't have a BluRay player and I don't have any plans to buy one in the near future. I'm sticking with my DVD player. Honestly I can't really tell the difference between the two because I don't have the best eyesight so there's no real point in me buying one. Plus I don't really buy DVD's anymore (except for TV boxsets). I usually download my movies (since I usually just watch them the once) or record them on the sky box & save them to a DVD disc. I also have a 1TB media storage box that I can plug into my TV. Got it for only €100 in PC World, best thing I've ever brought - it comes in handy when I download tv episodes and movies, I can watch them on my 62in TV instead of my small laptop screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Magic Beans

Mickey H wrote: »
    Haven't gone near Blu-ray yet to be honest.

Would prefer a DVD over an avi to be honest. An actual DVD blows away a .avi file burned to DVD in terms of sound quality especially if played on a 5.1 system. There's just no comparison between re-coded 2.0 sound and original 5.1 sound.
    And on the 6th day God created MKV and He saw that it was good and it soundeth fncking great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I'm more interested in the plot of a movie than HD video. I mostly download 700MB avi's and watch on a laptop, so I've no plans to get BluRay capability. I use DVD-R for some data backup, or to make video DVDs for people with older players that don't do divx.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Why would anyone watch a HD movie on a laptop? It's just a ridiculous concept. Plug your laptop into a proper monitor at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

I connect my hard drive to the usb port on the BlueRay so can watch downloads on the big TV haha

• Advertisement
Advertisement