Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you have a BluRay player?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I've reached a point in my life where I hate all the 'stuff' I've accumulated. So I ripped all my DVD's to a single 1.5TB hard disk, and stuck them in the attic. I've got an Xbox 360, so if I want to see a film in HD I'll happily stream it from Zune. Same goes for music, no discs for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Zune, 700mb avi rips without ac3
    Did someone mention limewire...

Wtf is this thread about?
    Isn't there an old folks forum for this type of thing?

Why would anyone watch a HD movie on a laptop? It's just a ridiculous concept. Plug your laptop into a proper monitor at least.

Laptop screen are a bit small especially if you have a 13.3 inch however most are HD now, I know mine is and the picture quality is excellent. If you dont have a monitor its not such a ridiculous concept at all. I have a 20inch monitor which I usually use but the laptop is actually better if you are watching very high quality stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I download 1080 rips and convert them to Laserdisc. Quality ends up better than any Bluray, and it's a proper manly-sized disc, none of this poxy 12cm rubbish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Have a player. Can't watch any film now if its not in HD.
    Even the quality of picture in our local cinema is poorer than the large HD TV at home with our Blu-ray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I don't know what anybody's talking about! I'm still in my 20s and already obsolete. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Biggins wrote: »
    Even the quality of picture in our local cinema is poorer than the large HD TV at home with our Blu-ray.

Well your local cinema must be a kip. Proper cinemas have resolutions of several thousands (horizontal and vertical) for the past century, and for the past 50 at least objectively look a lot better than any home equipment.

Also, you can't or you would do anything you could to try to watch it in HD? I can not take you seriously if you literally would refuse to watch a movie that wasn't in HD. That is just idiot talk. Like people who claim they can't play old video games anymore.

Once I saw someone say that they did not "see the point" of watching a show like Game of Thrones if it wasn't in HD.... wow, how stupid can you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

listermint wrote: »
    They have the internet in Donegal :eek:

Roads too when it isn't raining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Biggins wrote: »

Most modern cinema projectors are 4K which is 4 times the resolution of 1080p so the cinema you're going to must be poxy.

I have a HTPC with a Blu-ray player but I only have two blu-rays and never rent. I just download 8GB+ 1080p AC3, currently have 3TB stored. As I have a 47" tv, SD looks really pixelated and **** so I avoid anything less than 720p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

I have a Western Digital TV Live Hub, it has a 1 TB internal hard disk and is just slightly larger than a paperback book. For file format compatibilty it is probably one of the best pieces of home entertainment kit currently on the market. I have it connected it to my PC via ethernet with a static IP address and I have my Windows right-click menu set up with shortcuts to various folders on the WD so all I have to do is right-click a file or folder(s) on my PC, select "Send To" and then select where on the Western Digital I want to put the files\folder(s).

sink wrote: »
    Most modern cinema projectors are 4K which is 4 times the resolution of 1080p so the cinema you're going to must be poxy.

In Ireland the average digital cinema is 2k (approx the same as 1080p) and a lot of smaller cinemas are still running 1.3k projectors.

I don't know how many 4k projectors have been installed here but its definitely not the majority yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I don't have one. I refuse to buy one until they spell the word 'blue' properly.

Have had a Blu Ray player from early on, some of the discs available are absolutely stunning, Zulu in particular is one of the best looking things that your eyes will ever be exposed to.

the reason that Blu-Ray hasn't caught on is that it took so long for the price of Blu-Ray discs to fall, up until the last year or so it was common to walk into HMV and find that the cheapest discs they had were in the high 20s price range. Now thankfully most places have copped on and the deals you can find are fantastic, in Tower Records they have Planet Earth on Blu-Ray for less than the DVD set. In HMV you can get many recent releases in the 2 for 22 offer they run and they routinely put catalogue titles directly into the offer, The Thin Red Line and American Graffiti were both in the offer on release day.

Anyone serious about getting into buying Blu-Ray discs should check out blu-ray.com and in particular their forum board. It's shocking when you see how many releases have been destroyed due to excessive image tweaking and in the case of Ironclad cutting off nearly a third of the image on one side.

One final point before I go, fans of 80s action films should be pleasantly surprised to find that most Blu-Ray releases from the period are available for the first time uncut. Tango and Cast, Commando and the upcoming Cobra are all the uncut versions and anyone who picked up or plans to get Conan the Barbarian can watch it uncut for the first time over here by simply changing the default language on their Blu-Ray player or PS3 to anything bar English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Christ, my local cinema can barely manage to stop the projector slipping and cutting the bottom of the screen or the left or the right off. Anything with subtitles is a nightmare, and you expect them to be running 4k projectors?

BluRay, no, I don't have one. Just not necessary for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

If you have eyes and ears and love movies - once you go bluray, you won't go back.

I download HD TV shows and watch them on my media player, as the picture quality/sound for tv shows is not as important, but there is a massive difference (if you have the right equipment) between a bluray and a 8GB mkv when it comes to a well produced movie.

As for the original question, I don't think you understand how successful bluray is and how it will completely replace dvd.

DVD was developed in '95, only began to take off in the late 90's, became on a par with VHS by'02/'03 and fully replaced VHS by '05/06.

Bluray, on the other hand was developed in '06, because of the format war with HD DVD, only began to establish itself in '08. If you take a shop like hmv etc as an example. In '08, bluray would have merely been a "special interest" shelf, completely swamped by DVD. By '11, bluray is now a huge part of the shop, although still smaller than the DVD floorspace. In the next 2 years, it will have more floorspace than DVD and a further 2 years after that (circa 2015), dvd will be consigned to antiquity.

The thing you have to remember is that bluray is backward compatible. It is not competing with DVD - it is replacing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

the reason that Blu-Ray hasn't caught on is that it took so long for the price of Blu-Ray discs to fall,
    I think it has more to do with needing to buy an expensive tele before you can even think about getting the expensive player to play the expensive disks with.

It's looking like it's just becoming a redundant technology, it'll become a popular storage medium if it's lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Fago! wrote: »
    I watch the film live.

I hope No Country For Old Men tour Europe this winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Stinicker wrote: »
    I was just talking to a friend of mine last night and he commented on BluRay's never caught on like DVD's did. I have had a BluRay player for the last year and before that had the HD-DVD player for the Xbox 360 before HD-DVD lost the format war.

Has it reached a stage now where people have moved beyond physical format mediums and are happy to download a 700mb avi rip in crappovision instead of embracing High Definition.

.mkv tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Yip have a PS3 and a normal bluray player. Cant tell the difference in picture tbh :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

One final point before I go, fans of 80s action films should be pleasantly surprised to find that most Blu-Ray releases from the period are available for the first time uncut. Tango and Cast, Commando and the upcoming Cobra are all the uncut versions and anyone who picked up or plans to get Conan the Barbarian can watch it uncut for the first time over here by simply changing the default language on their Blu-Ray player or PS3 to anything bar English.

I'll be getting those :)

I've quite a few discs now..30-40 or so. I much prefer owning the discs than having to arse about downloading them and having to convert them. I feel like the format does film waaaaay more justice than DVD did so it's worth spending money on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yep....bought it purely for the fact that I can plug a memory stick into it and watch movies from it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Yep....bought it purely for the fact that I can plug a memory stick into it and watch movies from it.

Some new TV's come with a USB slot so you don't even need the player anymore.
    Only problem with USB sticks is 2GB is the max file size due to them being formatted in FAT32.
    Learn this to your cost when watching a 2.2GB mkv that cuts out 15 minutes before the end.

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Some new TV's come with a USB slot so you don't even need the player anymore.
    Only problem with USB sticks is 2GB is the max file size due to them being formatted in FAT32.
    Learn this to your cost when watching a 2.2GB mkv that cuts out 15 minutes before the end.

You can re-format them to NTFS using a PC, just so long as you're player is compatible with NTFS, not PS3 or XBOX afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

A Blu-Ray player would be a waste, since I don't have a HD TV. I have no plans to upgrade in the foreseeable future, and even then I might avoid Blu-Ray for one simple reason: Sony. The RootKit scandal was the last straw, and I refuse to put any more money in their pockets - and they get royalties on every Blu-Ray player and disc manufactured. :mad:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Well your local cinema must be a kip. Proper cinemas have resolutions of several thousands (horizontal and vertical) for the past century, and for the past 50 at least objectively look a lot better than any home equipment.

Also, you can't or you would do anything you could to try to watch it in HD? I can not take you seriously if you literally would refuse to watch a movie that wasn't in HD. That is just idiot talk. Like people who claim they can't play old video games anymore.

Once I saw someone say that they did not "see the point" of watching a show like Game of Thrones if it wasn't in HD.... wow, how stupid can you get.

Yes - our cinema IS a kip and if you stick your head into the Louth section, you will read many complaints about it.

As for my home equipment - its the best that can be got and trust me when I say, its far better than our local cinema.
    (I've even got an 46" LED flatscreen with 7.1 surround sound in our bedroom. Right now my oldest daughter is in there watching the Sound of ruddy Music in HD)

I didn't say anything about old games - and to be honest as I'm a rather old fart, I prefer them!
    I'd rather HD now than the lower resolutions - thats all.
    O' and as for Game of Thrones in HD, it looks absolutely stunning - especially when the lassies are naked. :D

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think it has more to do with needing to buy an expensive tele before you can even think about getting the expensive player to play the expensive disks with.

It's looking like it's just becoming a redundant technology, it'll become a popular storage medium if it's lucky.

Most people have a HD capable TV and have had for a few years now, I don't think I know a single person who hasn't a TV capable of playing Blu-Ray through.

As for it being a redundant technology, that's really not true. While people will constantly herald the coming of the next gen of film watching, downloading anything you want directly to your computer or TV in reality that's a long way off. I'd much rather pay 11 euro or so for a 50GB Blu-Ray disc with all my special features within than pay 8 euro for a digital download of the same film. With the disc I'm guaranteed the best possibly version of the film free from any compression and no matter what anyone tells you there is a noticeable difference between an 8 gig rip of a film and the version on the Blu-Ray disc. There's also the hassle of having to download a film again if your hard drive fails and you haven't it backed up.

The upcoming Ultraviolet cloud based streaming is seen as the way of the future but it has numerous drawbacks. Here's an interesting article discussing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Don't have a Blu-Ray player yet but do have a few discs. Some DVDs I buy are "dual format" i.e. a DVD and Blu-Ray in the one package. BFI Flipside releases for example.

Most of my DVD purchases are archive television shows from the 1960s / 1970s that were shot on videotape so Blu Ray is not an option nor would it benefit them.

For movies I'll probably buy a few on Blu Ray but having purchased a good few on VHS and loads on DVD I doubt if I'll be triple-dipping.

Have to laugh at the comments towards "physical media" as if it were some form of disease to be avoided.

A hard drive of MP3s and downloaded television shows = my idea of hell.

Its shelves and shelves of LPs, CDs and DVDs for me and it'll always be like that.

...The upcoming Ultraviolet cloud based streaming is seen as the way of the future but it has numerous drawbacks. Here's an interesting article discussing it.
    I don't like the sound of that to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Darko wrote: »
    Conan the Barbarian can watch it uncut for the first time over here by simply changing the default language on their Blu-Ray player or PS3 to anything bar English.

What was cut from Conan the barbarian?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

Movies on plastic disks? LOOL. Oldtimers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

noxqs wrote: »
    Movies on plastic disks? LOOL. Oldtimers.

Are you a fan of collecting farts in a jar as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Really? There are people who are going against physical media, even people going as far as to say that they straight up pirate their movies? Well let me tell you this...how many digital downloads offer 7.1 lossless audio? Hell, how many digital downloads offer lossless audio at all? And how many digital downloads offer a bit rate, higher than BD? Some people, eh?

And regarding digital cinema seeing as some people have brought up digital cinema projectors, I friggin' hate it. I hate the fact that cinemas are replacing their old projectors for digital ones and that some film makers are moving away from filming in...well, film and using digital cameras instead, with set resolutions like 4K (not good for any future physical formats once UHDTV is introduced). Christopher Nolan himself said that digital film (or whatever you like to call it) doesn't capture as much detail as regular film, which was one of the reasons as to why he chose not to film Inception in 3D (shooting a film in 3D on film has been done for many years, but it was always a cumbersome experience with the larger camera).

Well, that's all I have to say for now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Really? There are people who are going against physical media, even people going as far as to say that they straight up pirate their movies? Well let me tell you this...how many digital downloads offer 7.1 lossless audio? Hell, how many digital downloads offer lossless audio at all? And how many digital downloads offer a bit rate, higher than BD? Some people, eh?

Most offer the AC3 codec 5.1 surround, I've listened to both on my setup & find it hard to differentiate.
    Maybe music shows it up better with 320kb mp3 vs Flac.

What was cut from Conan the barbarian?

A number of horse trips, the last action scene was ruined due to the poor edits where it just went black for a second before returning to the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Christopher Nolan himself said that digital film (or whatever you like to call it) doesn't capture as much detail as regular film,
    That's just nonsense, digital films possibilities are limitless and constantly improving. There's digital equipment that can capture all kinds of details it's just the old school way of doing films is so unionised they don't want to see their jobs wiped out by the digital film.

An unscrupulous person could get all those things you mention, but in fairness 7.1 lossless is a bit of a sham.

Firstly very few movies are mixed in 7.1 anyway.

And in blind tests very few people can tell the difference between an uncompressed DTS-HD stream and a 640kbps AC3 stream. Certainly not on your average consumer setup, which tends to be a cheap all-in-one unit with crappy little satellite speakers and a flimsy sub in the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

I have a Blu-Ray player. Bought it last year soon after I bought my HDTV. I like physical media and I don't think that's ever going to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

You must be new to this internet downloading business.

I spent just over €2K on a new home cinema setup (LG 47LX9900, Onkyo TX-NR609, Tannoy HTS101). I have it hooked up to a HTPC as well as a PS3, Xbox 360 & Sky+ HD.

Playing an 8GB+ 1080p x264 AC3 .mkv using HDMI passtrough I cannot discern a difference either in picture or sound between that and a BD. Maybe I just lack the sensitivity to these things but if I don't notice the difference I'm not going to fuss over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

sink wrote: »
    I spent just over €2K on a new home cinema setup (LG 47LX9900, Onkyo TX-NR609, Tannoy HTS101). I have it hooked up to a HTPC as well as a PS3, Xbox 360 & Sky+ HD.

Playing an 8GB+ 1080p x264 AC3 .mkv using HDMI passtrough I cannot discern a difference either in picture or sound between that and a BD. Maybe I just lack the sensitivity to these things but if I don't notice the difference I'm not going to fuss over it.
    Strange, I can notice the difference when playing titles like Ratatouille, as there's really an extra OOOMF to it when comparing it to old 5.1 Dolby Digital. You can hear the clarity in something like a lightning strike when playing in 7.1 LPCM, compared to 5.1 Dolby Digital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I know its sounds bad : / but Avatar in blu ray rocks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

I have that "bluray"-thingy on the playstation 3, but I wouldn't know anything about it or even have a clue as to why I should watch those instead of dvds ... hehehe :o

Frankly, I prefer playing video games anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭jimdeans

I couldn't cope without mine.

Actually, that's not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

You've got me on the 7.1 But checking bluray stats it says only 6% of blu ray have 7.1 and 12% feature lpcm.

So just picking an average home movie here (15gb)
    Video bit rate 10.8mbps, 1920x1080, at 23.976fps, AVC
    Audio bit rate 1510kbps, 48khz, 24bits, 6 channels, DTS

I use these as they are fine within my system, I also have the option of recording my home movies as a blu ray iso or whatever, but don't see the benefit in file size vs noticeable audio/visual detail

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Most people have a HD capable TV and have had for a few years now, I don't think I know a single person who hasn't a TV capable of playing Blu-Ray through.
    I don't have a HDTV-ready TV. My old 32" CRT is still working fine and I find it hard to justify, in my head, the need to consign it to the dump (I wouldn't have enough room to store it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I download everything and dont care for crystal clear vision or 7.1 hooplah. i used to buy dvds every week but it got to costing to much for a load of usual ****.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The_Thing wrote: »
    I have a Western Digital TV Live Hub, it has a 1 TB internal hard disk and is just slightly larger than a paperback book. For file format compatibilty it is probably one of the best pieces of home entertainment kit currently on the market. I have it connected it to my PC via ethernet with a static IP address and I have my Windows right-click menu set up with shortcuts to various folders on the WD so all I have to do is right-click a file or folder(s) on my PC, select "Send To" and then select where on the Western Digital I want to put the files\folder(s).

Maybe I'm thick but are you not just saying that you have an external hard drive that you can copy files to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,676 ✭✭✭✭ted1

since i got my Apple TV the only time my blue ray gets sued is when my little Girl wants to watch her Seasme Stret DVD, which is every day.... its actually called the "Wah Wah box"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,572 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I must admit when Blu-ray is done well it can look stunning
    i have been looking online at forums to find out what makes the best use of the format and have started buying them with films such as Zulu and the new Star Trek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,572 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I must admit when Blu-ray is done well it can look stunning
    i have been looking online at forums to find out what makes the best use of the format and have started buying them with films such as Zulu and the new Star Trek

• Advertisement
Advertisement