Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you have a BluRay player?

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

4K seems to be the next big "revolution" in TVs.
    At this point its important to note not even cinemas are 4K. 90% of cinemas project in 2K resolution which is very very slightly bigger than 1080p, you'll hardly notice the difference between the two except for different aspect ratios.

4K is only really used while filming movies cuz it gives the director more room to frame their shots within the big 4K picture. 4K TVs would give really high level of detail but we're just really getting to terms with 1080p, most of us can wait a bit longer before we feel the need for 4K, if we ever do.

Meanwhile people in China are already working on developing 8K resolution cameras and TVs...

I heard that 4K on tvs was BS because it just gets completely wasted on screens smaller than 60-70".

OLED is where it's going to be before 4K sets in. And with the high contrast it brings, it makes the resolution appear better and more vibrant anyway.

I can't wait until apple bring out their 4k 'retina' tv though!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

I have a blueray player on my HTPC and have used it once for a blue ray disk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

1ZRed wrote: »
    I heard that 4K on tvs was BS because it just gets completely wasted on screens smaller than 60-70".

OLED is where it's going to be before 4K sets in. And with the high contrast it brings, it makes the resolution appear better and more vibrant anyway.

I can't wait until apple bring out their 4k 'retina' tv though!:rolleyes:

Apple recently announced its new macbook pro with "retina" display. 2880x1800 resolution. Pretty mental for a 15inch laptop...

OLED is a pretty expensive technology. It seems cramming more pixels together is cheaper. Also OLED seems to have some downsides too. But I'm sure over time they'll iron it out.

Its pretty crazy how fast TV technology is moving. Only a decade ago we'ld all be pretty happy with a 22inch colour TV.

I guess my leaving cert physics teacher summed it up best. Almost every household in the world owns a TV. Houses in the developed world and in places like USA own more than 1 TV per house. So that's a huge market and huge amount of money people spend into buying TVs and electronics manufacturers can develop such fancy technology. Now if only people spent as much money into curing cancer maybe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Now if only people spent as much money into curing cancer maybe...

If we could turn cancer patients into controllable robots with guns, maybe we would.

I think 4k projectors are a lot more likely to take off than sets. Projectors in general really, I hope.

What more could we want than a 120" screen-wall-thing?

Fucking amazing.

• Advertisement

grindle wrote: »
    If we could turn cancer patients into controllable robots with guns, maybe we would.

I think 4k projectors are a lot more likely to take off than sets. Projectors in general really, I hope.

What more could we want than a 120" screen-wall-thing?

Fucking amazing.

A room big enough to have a 120" screen??

Also just watched the Gamer movie on youtube. Pretty crazy movie, wouldn't pay for it, but it was free on youtube so skipped all the boring bits to get the idea of the movie. I would really really hate to live in a society like that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

It really bothers me when I show someone a blu ray on a high end 46 inch sony tv and they say they dont see any difference. Are they blind???

send them to specsavers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

johndoe99 wrote: »
    send them to specsavers.

seriously!

seriously!

Show them this and it'll change their mind...

Show them this and it'll change their mind...

its usually women who dont notice the difference, most notably my little sis.

Ive shown her my planet earth blu ray, baraka blu ray and a bazillion other discs. she says she honestly doesnt see a difference.

short of putting an old tube tv alongside my new set with a dvd on while a br is playing on the new tv, im not sure how to convince her.

on the other hand, my little bro is hooked on br now. must just be a boys n their toys thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Nope, I was one of the last to get a dvd player and in the grand old aged retro tradition of my keeping the retro/older forms il be keeping that going until i absolutly have to change up technology! :D:P:)

A room big enough to have a 120" screen??

I know...:pac:

13 foot room-length'd do it though, but you'll be swallowed by the screen.

100' wouldn't be too bad... I suppose...:(

its usually women who dont notice the difference...
    Uh-oh... Oh no you di'n't!

I know...:pac:

Uh-oh... Oh no you di'n't!

I did say 'usually' lol. Many women Ive shown notice a difference, but many many dont, or even if they do, they cant justify the spend on a new system for the jump in quality. To each their own I suppose.

I did say 'usually' lol. Many women Ive shown notice a difference, but many many dont, or even if they do, they cant justify the spend on a new system for the jump in quality. To each their own I suppose.

Maybe you need to show her a new microwave instead?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Big fat waste of moneys..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I download the full 8-20gb blue-ray rip. I watch so few filums its worth getting the massive file for the odd one I do watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Holographic Versatile Disc holds up to 6 Terabytes.

1992, 2004 and 2011 were 3 years out of the last 20 when sales of TVs dropped from the year previous.

http://www.internetevolution.com/author.asp?section_id=1047&doc_id=206328

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20120524/PC05/120529621/1010/drop-in-tv-sales-prompt-sony-samsung-to-ask-us-retailers-to-curb-discounts

A switch in viewing habits down to 15-17 inch laptops, someone ring China and tell them to stop making 80inch 8k.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i just wish more shops would sell blu-rays.

I'd like to see someone step forward and start decreasing the sale and production of DVDs, like they did with VHS when DVD came along. They need to bite the bullet.

Oh, I totally agree.
    In fact, I think the reason one of the feminazi's didn't jump on it, is because the thread has 'BluRay' in the title.

"Eugh... technology... I think... Or do I? *shouts downstairs* Honey, do I think?"

"Yeah... Sure you do."

My OH doesn't see it, and also can't hear the difference between a 128 MP3 and WAV/FLAC/Vinyl.

As long as she knows where the kitchen is, etc, etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I have blue movies that play in a normal dvd player. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

My OH doesn't see it, and also can't hear the difference between a 128 MP3 and WAV/FLAC/Vinyl.
    You can? On what sort of set up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Nope, I was one of the last to get a dvd player and in the grand old aged retro tradition of my keeping the retro/older forms il be keeping that going until i absolutly have to change up technology! :D:P:)

if you have a hd tv then not having a blu-ray player is a crime :pac: some movies look absolutely stunning on the format

You can? On what sort of set up?

Between a 128 and the other three? Of course. On any of my headphones (Sony and Sennheiser), my studio monitors (ADAM), or my consumer surround system (Sony, €250 job).

Getting up to 256, it gets harder to tell with most types of music, but I listen to a lot of bass-heavy electronic music, so can hear (or, not-hear) the high trebles and low bass (30-40hz) rolling off. I went through a phase of doing all the tests on Gearslutz, and yes, there's a difference (especially with 128 though - surprised that anybody'd be surprised).
    Between 320 and FLAC/WAV though, it becomes a bit of a coin-toss on all but the ADAMs.
    There's a touch more width to the stereo image, but you'd only notice if you were A/B-ing on very good monitors.
    I'd imagine the difference is more pronounced on the €2k+ monitors.
    Worth the ROI? Only if you're producing/engineering music and very successful at it.

krudler wrote: »
    if you have a hd tv then not having a blu-ray player is a crime :pac: some movies look absolutely stunning on the format

yeah, thats one thing i really dont get about people. theyre willing to fork out 500-2000 quid on a flashy new flat panel tv.

then they go on about how buying a blu ray player is a waste of money. 'dvds look fine' they say.

that may be the case but they just spent a wad of cash on a hdtv and use it to watch an sd signal. and they go on about wasting money :rolleyes:

yeah, thats one thing i really dont get about people. theyre willing to fork out 500-2000 quid on a flashy new flat panel tv.

then they go on about how buying a blu ray player is a waste of money. 'dvds look fine' they say.

that may be the case but they just spent a wad of cash on a hdtv and use it to watch an sd signal. and they go on about wasting money :rolleyes:

I had to explain to someone that using a standard dvd player on a hd tv didnt magically make all their movies HD, they were using a standard av cable as well, the horror. I showed them my ps3 on a 22" lcd tv I have in my bedroom and even that looked better quality. I dont have money or space for a gigantic tv at the mo but I wouldnt mind getting a 32" or something for my room, its right at the foot of the bed so that'd be plenty big for watching stuff at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

I have blue movies that play in a normal dvd player. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I can just about understand how to operate a DVD player, blue ray is a foreign language to me. I'm only 24 too so I suppose thats kinda strange, but yet I get away with it, my secs in the office are whizz kids.

I can just about understand how to operate a DVD player, blue ray is a foreign language to me. I'm only 24 too so I suppose thats kinda strange, but yet I get away with it, my secs in the office are whizz kids.

its the exact same :confused: put disc in, press play

Advertisement