Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on credit card

Options
  • 18-08-2011 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Probably a silly question, sorry, but..........

The credit limit on my card is 3,000 euro.

Lets say I paid off my latest payment on my MBNA Visa card, of nearly 700 euro yesterday.
    This leaves me with a balance of approx 1,200 which will be due out next month around the same time.

What I want to do is book approx 3,000 euros worth of flights asap.
    I have the money in my bank account, but will need to use the credit card to do the booking.
    If I lodge the 3,000 from my bank account to my mbna card via online banking, will that allow me to go through with the transaction?

Or will the 3,000 just go to pay off the 1,200 owed and then leave me with approx 1,800 of "available cash" .
    Not sure if I've explained myself very well.

I was hoping that if I lodged the 3,000 then that would be credit on top of the 1,800 or so that I still have available, and then I'd have approx 4,800 to work with?

As clear as mud I'd say.
    Any thoughts?

A Country Voice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

If you pay €3,000 into the MBNA account it will reduce the balance you owe. So you will not have these funds available.

The credit limit will be 4,800 (available to spend)

This is the 3,000 MBNA have set as your credit limit and the 1,800 left after the settlement of the 1,200 debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

thanks for gettin back to me daz.
    Its a kind silly question really, if I thought about it I could have figured it out :o

One other thing.
    If I transfer cleared funds from the bank account via online banking will the credit card have the funds straight away? or will I have to wait a while?
    This would be cleared funds from the bank account.

Thanks again

A Country Voice

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Hi there,

No worries, you're welcome.

Usually it takes around 2 to 3 days to hit the MBNA account.

If its AIB and you're an AIB customer it would be same day provided its done before 11pm.

Because its going to MBNA I doubt it will be credited same day.

It could be, if your bank was the same as MBNA, I'm not 100pc on that though.

Safest thing is to allow 3 working days to hit MBNA and show on your statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

thanks a million

a country voice

Advertisement