Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP compatible with Dell E5520

Options
  • 18-08-2011 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi all,

I hope someone can help here. I use a Dell E5520 running windows 7 32 bit for work purposes. 2.3Ghz, 4.00 Gb RAM.

We use a lot of older software which is not compatible with Windows 7. Up to now I have been using Virtual machines to get around this and VMware is a gem I have to say. That is until today.

I'm trying to connect a USB device which I know will connect to XP as its been tested. However when I plug it into the laptop windows 7 grabs the port, decides the device is faulty and disables it before I can connect it to the XP virtual machine. This happens regardless of whether the virtual machine is maximised or not.

I've installed the .inf driver for the device in windows 7 but it still won't install correctly. I'm guessing its just not compatible with 7.

I would like to install Windows XP on the laptop. Will I have compatibilty issues with the new hardware which is designed for Windows 7?

Anybody got any thoughts on the above. I'm pretty stuck after 2 days of trying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

Should be fine, best way to do it is to setup your laptop to dual boot first, that way you can choose to boot either xp or 7.

http://www.techspot.com/guides/143-dual-boot-windows7/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

which vm do you use - maybe try another one ?

Ubuntu users who install virtualbox from ubuntu get the version that doesn't pass USB through. downloading directly form virtualbox gets you the version that will allow you to assign a USB port. No sure if the same is true of windows. ;)

Dual boot will require you to get another windows license

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

which vm do you use - maybe try another one ?

Dual boot will require you to get another windows license

does this?

Windows XP Mode

i presume the OP is using Win7 pro / enterprise?

Advertisement