Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet option for Balbriggan (just moved here from Holland)

Options
  • 18-08-2011 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey all :)

My name is Keimpe and I just moved to Ireland for a job. I'm from the Netherlands.

I moved to Balbriggan and I'm living in an apartment very close to the Train Station there.
    Unfortunately in my apartment UPC is not available.
    Then I'm doomed to get a less quality ISP.

The options are:
    Vodafone.
    Magnet.
    Eircom.
    Any ISP's I missed?

I had a wimax hub form imagine in my previous apartment in Santry, but I can't seem to get a signal in my new apartment in Balbriggan. If I'm lucky I have 1 bar for no more than 15 minutes so I need a stable connection.

For what I've heard so far is that Eircom kind of sucks, especially in customer service, as well as in their prices.
    Vodafone I don't know actually and Magnet looks alright if you look at their advertisements only. A 24MB downstream sounds sweet.
    But I don't know what I'll get eventually, also because it's trough a normal telefone line.

What are your suggestion guys?

I prefer to have an unlimited usage for downloading music/movies etc.
    And a nice connection (good ping) and a stable one for online gaming.

Thanks for the advise :)

Cheers,

Keimpe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Check UPC as well. Not sure if they're in balbriggan, but they have plans to be.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Khannie wrote: »
    Check UPC as well. Not sure if they're in balbriggan, but they have plans to be.

No sign of them yet...

I have vodafone, it's grand.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

No sign of them yet...

I have vodafone, it's grand.
    -(minus) 1million
    I am in Balrothery and having Vfone is a disaster.
    Our VF BBand was so bad at times in the past year we bought a wireless dongle as it was faster!
    And what we were told by a rep from another provider is true (and a VF customer care agent did not deny it) then VFone will be stumping up with compensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Keimpe

Thanks so far,
    @Khannie: UPC is not available for me :( I double checked it with them.

Mixed opinions on Vodafone so far.

Any experiences with Magnet? That's the one I'm leaning to atm.

I have Vodafone in Skerries and find them grand.

You should check if magnet are just reselling wholesale eircom (as vodafone mostly do). In that case it's all much the same between any of the providers I'd say.

• Advertisement

bcmf wrote: »
    -(minus) 1million
    I am in Balrothery and having Vfone is a disaster.
    Our VF BBand was so bad at times in the past year we bought a wireless dongle as it was faster!
    And what we were told by a rep from another provider is true (and a VF customer care agent did not deny it) then VFone will be stumping up with compensation.

Could it be a hardware problem? Have you ever had any other fixed line BB?

Eircom still own all the switches and lines. So as far as I can figure out every BB service on a phone line is equal, except when it comes to things like customer service.

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Could it be a hardware problem? Have you ever had any other fixed line BB?

Eircom still own all the switches and lines. So as far as I can figure out every BB service on a phone line is equal, except when it comes to things like customer service.
    Believe me we have gone through everything with them. When and if the problem that our , when it happens , new provider sorts out and we get confirmation of I will let you know publicly until then I'd better refrain bacause of libel etc.
    But if the behaviour is true and again when I approached and spoke VF customer care they DID NOT deny it could have happened and probably did and thus compensating people.
    Yes we had Digiweb and directly prior to VF we had BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Hi Keimpe, as a Belgian girl myself, I'm sure you've already realized that it's like a flashback to the late nineties when it comes to internet!!

We were with BT, which were great, but then Vodafone took over. From what I've heard, *when* it works, it works brilliant. But often, it doesn't.

Wimax were advertising in Millfield to other day so I would imagine (see what I did there!) that they are available in the brixter?

Eircom is basically a safe bet, it will work but it's a lot more expensive I find.

My advice would be: no matter what, stay away from the dongles!

Good luck - hope you get sorted!

sNarah wrote: »
    Hi Keimpe, as a Belgian girl myself, I'm sure you've already realized that it's like a flashback to the late nineties when it comes to internet!!

We were with BT, which were great, but then Vodafone took over. From what I've heard, *when* it works, it works brilliant. But often, it doesn't.

Wimax were advertising in Millfield to other day so I would imagine (see what I did there!) that they are available in the brixter?

Eircom is basically a safe bet, it will work but it's a lot more expensive I find.

My advice would be: no matter what, stay away from the dongles!

Good luck - hope you get sorted!

Imagine WiMax is definately an option. Same price as vodafone/eircom/bt roughly. No idea what the service is like TBH, but you could check out the broadband forum reviews.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Imagine WiMax is definately an option. Same price as vodafone/eircom/bt roughly. No idea what the service is like TBH, but you could check out the broadband forum reviews.

Threads and threads absolutely slating the service. No service/ dropped signal seem the biggest complaints.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i was with magnet and had no problems at all

• Registered Users Posts: 14 foxrm

Helix wrote: »
    i was with magnet and had no problems at all

How long did you wait for the whole process to finish?

From the time you have ordered to finally get online?

Did you have a landline when ordering?

Do you need to get it from eircom first?

Appreciate any reply.

Thanks

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Threads and threads absolutely slating the service. No service/ dropped signal seem the biggest complaints.

You should probably not consider that a fair representation though. Mostly people are only going to post threads when they have a problem with their ISP. It gives you no perception of the percentage of satisfied customers. I'm not saying they're good, only that threads giving out doesn't necessarily mean they're bad. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Khannie wrote: »
    You should probably not consider that a fair representation though. Mostly people are only going to post threads when they have a problem with their ISP. It gives you no perception of the percentage of satisfied customers. I'm not saying they're good, only that threads giving out doesn't necessarily mean they're bad. :)

I never said they were bad. I was responding to Briankeatings advice to look in the broadband forum, and letting the OP know what they would find.

I have actually since gotten Wimax and its Ok. About as good as Meteor dongle. Stable for browsing, but not for downloading. Its throttled about 20 hours a day.
    I wanted it as I was starting online college and needed a stable connection and bigger data allowance than the 7.5gig I was getting from Meteor. So far it is meeting requirements.

Advertisement