Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Length between float and hook?

Options
  • 18-08-2011 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi, I'm just wondering how much line you should leave between the worm hook and a float? I would be aiming to be hit at least 1/2,3/4 depth.
    Cheers,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

there is no correct answer to this question! depends on how deep the water is, and what fish species you are after. Best answer I can give is experiment, and see which depth works as fish can be at different levels in the water on different days

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭howsshecuttin

Cheers Frank!
    I'm only a beginner so I might be asking a lot of questions! Was out at a canal in Longford this eve and caught two perch with garden worms in the space of three hours, Perhaps I should of went for the maggot?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

yes, you will catch more species on maggots. and usually its best to fish near the bottom.you can use a depth plummet to check the detpth

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Easiest way of judging depth is to use a 'plummet' which is a small weight with an eye at the top and a piece of cork in the bottom. Basically you pass the hook & line through the eye & then put the hook into the cork.

Cast out or drop (if using a pole) to where you're fishing & see if the float is going under or lying flat on the top - adjust the float until its sitting perfectly in the water & you have the exact depth. Then take the plummet off & adjust the float for 1/2 or 3/4 depth whichever you prefer.

If you look on youtube there are plenty of videos on plumbing the depth.

As for bait, Perch love worms as do roach & many other fish. I presume its the Royal Canal in Longford ? - there are a few guys on here that fish it & they'll probably be better placed to give you help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭howsshecuttin

Cheers for all the help, Will have a look at those videos now. It is indeed, I use a rod also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement