Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car repair issue

Options
  • 18-08-2011 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Any one know my rights here.
    I bought a car from a car dealership this march and they went into receivership soon after. About 3 months after I bought the car the petrol flap thing (don't know the technical word for this!) stopped opening (it was the type that you just press to open - not with a key). It would open now and again but was very unreliable. In the last month it won't close at all now. The car dealership has since reopened under the same name but with new owners and I brought the car into them for them to look at. Although they have a repair centre there they cannot fix the problem and said the car will have to be sent to an audi centre to be repaired and that they cannot cover the charge as the company is now under new ownership... is this correct?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Any relationship that you had was with the company you purchased from. If that company is gone, then you have no relationship with the new company.

If you can give some more details on the car, I can move this thread to the Motors forum where you can get advice on fixing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

swimgal wrote: »
    Any one know my rights here.
    I bought a car from a car dealership this march and they went into receivership soon after. About 3 months after I bought the car the petrol flap thing (don't know the technical word for this!) stopped opening (it was the type that you just press to open - not with a key). It would open now and again but was very unreliable. In the last month it won't close at all now. The car dealership has since reopened under the same name but with new owners and I brought the car into them for them to look at. Although they have a repair centre there they cannot fix the problem and said the car will have to be sent to an audi centre to be repaired and that they cannot cover the charge as the company is now under new ownership... is this correct?

Thanks in advance

You need to check who the directors are of both companies. But if the 1st went into receivership/liquidation(can't remember the correct way to wind up a PLC) correctly there's not much you can do.

There was an article in a paper a while ago about Phoenix companies, but basically once the original company was wound up correctly there's nothing you can do. Consider yourself lucky it's only the fuel cap, some people where owed thousands and have no chance of getting it back

Advertisement