Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a horse arena!!

Options
  • 18-08-2011 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi. I'm just wondering does anyone know people who build horse arena's!! An Outdoor one!! Doesn't need to include fence or anything just the basic arena in the Leinster area?!!
    Thanks.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

There's lots of classified ads in the Irish Field regarding arena construction and surfacing.

Teagasc have guidelines re. the building of outdoor arenas, which you can find here. As the document says, you really need to put time and effort into the foundations and drainage so that your arena is as good as possible.

If you can get someone in to do the initial foundations, you can source stones from local quarries and buy the membrane in a hardwear store. It's not too difficult to lay yourself if you're anyway into DIY. Check the adds in papers re. surfacing and you should be sorted.

Might be an idea to price everything individually as well as people who offer 'the whole package' so that you know you're getting a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 djml

the guys who did mine are from qcs construction. I know they have pics of mine. pm me for their details. They are from near Dunshaughlin in County Meath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RainbowBee

Thanks a million for the information!! I'll look into it!! I'm just finding it difficult to find someone who can build it including digging out the foundation for the drainage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

You will need about €10k for a 30 x 20m one. Thats starting from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

Rainbow,

If you dont mind hanging on Ill reply to this properly over the weekend. We have a 50 x 20 and had difficult ground so we have plenty of tips for ya!!

Eoghan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

i know very little about this, but all i can say is dont cut corners on drainage, nothing worse than a sodden arena at the first sign of rain :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jenny penny

twomeys wrote: »
    Rainbow,

If you dont mind hanging on Ill reply to this properly over the weekend. We have a 50 x 20 and had difficult ground so we have plenty of tips for ya!!

Eoghan

Any more info on this Eoghan?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭UpHill

Hi RainbowBee

I think you will be able to do a fair bit yourself with some good help. Finished mine just before Christmas, got some nice sand at a very decent price from Mick Kelly from MSK sand down in Wexford (Google them). Be careful in using decent quality timber, cheap stuff doesn't pay.

Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

UpHill wrote: »
    Hi RainbowBee

I think you will be able to do a fair bit yourself with some good help. Finished mine just before Christmas, got some nice sand at a very decent price from Mick Kelly from MSK sand down in Wexford (Google them). Be careful in using decent quality timber, cheap stuff doesn't pay.

Best of Luck

Hi uphill
    id be interested as to how muchyou done yourself and what was your total cost.
    Wasit 20x40

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Is 20 x 40 big enough? I measured a 35 x 20 at home and put stakes at the 4 corners. When I set up a few jumps and the kids rode the ponies around it seemed very tight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Is 20 x 40 big enough? I measured a 35 x 20 at home and put stakes at the 4 corners. When I set up a few jumps and the kids rode the ponies around it seemed very tight.

Id love bigger than 20x40. Last time I got a few quotes it was 16000 for a 20x40!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

monflat wrote: »
    Id love bigger than 20x40. Last time I got a few quotes it was 16000 for a 20x40!!!

Same here. Buy there's a digger here I can use so it's only materials I have to get. I'll get it done one of these years!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭may06

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Same here. Buy there's a digger here I can use so it's only materials I have to get. I'll get it done one of these years!!!

40X20 is quite large, that's what i built. Cost wise came in at around 14k from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

may06 wrote: »
    40X20 is quite large, that's what i built. Cost wise came in at around 14k from start to finish.

I'd call 40x20 too small. Make it as big as you can Charlie, you'll regret too small, you'll never regret 'too' big!

I think 50x30 is a nice size!

elusiveguy wrote: »
    I'd call 40x20 too small. Make it as big as you can Charlie, you'll regret too small, you'll never regret 'too' big!

I think 50x30 is a nice size!

Your call based on the fact you haven't seen it of course..V general statement overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

Your call based on the fact you haven't seen it of course..V general statement overall.

Based on the fact that I've ridden in a 20x40.... To do a proper grid you need bigger.

It really depends on what you want to do in the arena, the space you have, and your budget. Horses for courses and all that....

Mod hat on: May, please don't be so dismissive and aggressive in the tone you adopt in your posts. It may be that you don't intend your posts to come across that way, but don't forget the written word often reads differently than how we would say it.

Based on the fact that I've ridden in a 20x40.... To do a proper grid you need bigger.

It suits me and my needs fine. I can well manage a grid of 5 fences in my 20x40m. I also built it based on what i could afford, not based on the size/type of fencing required in it. There are plenty of options, centre line and diagonally too both work. Needs and budget more importantly tend to influence the decision making on building an arena.

convert wrote: »
    It really depends on what you want to do in the arena, the space you have, and your budget. Horses for courses and all that....

Mod hat on: May, please don't be so dismissive and aggressive in the tone you adopt in your posts. It may be that you don't intend your posts to come across that way, but don't forget the written word often reads differently than how we would say it.

No,I wasnt but & I was not being aggressive, I was being defensive. The poster in question was coming across a tad dismissive is what I felt & certainly wasn't stating horses for courses in his response. So no offence meant, but written word indeed perhaps reads differently as you say, which is what I was reacting to.

No,I wasnt but & I was not being aggressive, I was being defensive. The poster in question was coming across a tad dismissive is what I felt & certainly wasn't stating horses for courses in his response. So no offence meant, but written word indeed perhaps reads differently as you say, which is what I was reacting to.

May, as per the forum charter (and sitewide rules), please don't reply to a moderator in thread - if you've any queries or want to discuss it with me (or another mod), then please PM us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭mothoin

what do you consider a proper grid? I spent 6 years between two equestrian centres teaching in 20x40 arenas and I was able to have "poper grids" built

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

That's in a smaller arena than 20x40 and there's plenty of room for more jumps than that. 20 x 40 is plenty big for a proper grid.

Advertisement