Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oz Phones

Options
  • 18-08-2011 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi,
    I am after unlocking my new i phone for when i move to Australia. I will be going with pre paid australian sim and just wondered what companies are good value, i will be using the phone mostly for calls and texts to Ireland and a little bit of internet also.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Check the different plans on company websites. Main operators here include Telstra, Optus, Virgin, Vodafone etc. It can be hard to compare plans properly because of all this cap nonsense they have here.

Most people I know with Vodafone have nothing good to say about them. I got Optus prepay on iPhone I brought from home, $40 topup gets 1GB of data and $600 of cap credit plus unlimited texts to other optus and few other things. It's ok, usually covers all my needs but 3G coverage where I live is patchy as hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Telstra have the best coverage and data network, but probably aren't the best value.

Optus are more likely better price wise, but I've found their coverage atrocious.

Avoid Vodafone like the plague; their network is so bad they're almost completely rebuilding it from scratch!

Virgin have some good deals but they use some other network's masts, I'm not sure which.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Better not go with Vodafone when i get there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

STIG83 wrote: »
    Better not go with Vodafone when i get there!!

There is another one called TGL as well give good deals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

If your gonna make international calls i recommend you buy a phone card, much cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

mobius42 wrote: »
    Telstra have the best coverage and data network, but probably aren't the best value.

Optus are more likely better price wise, but I've found their coverage atrocious.

Avoid Vodafone like the plague; their network is so bad they're almost completely rebuilding it from scratch!

Sums these three networks up very well. Although I do find Optus good in built up areas, they're crap once you get a bit rural.

Psst, just to emphasise, DON'T TOUCH VODAFONE

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

3 is also crap for reception.

Advertisement