Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting pay scale

• 18-08-2011 5:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭

I am a British trained teacher (PGCE) with a number of years of teaching experience, both in the UK and International schools. Will these years of experience be included in the Irish system or will I be expected to start again on the bottom rung of the pay scale? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Don't know about your international experience but your years in the UK will count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭cmssjone

Thanks a lot for that rainbowtrout. At least I know where I stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Was talking to a friend earlier and she taught for a few years in Australia and her years there were recognised. She had to get a letter written by the school on headed paper stating how many years etc she had completed in the school. Department gave her credit for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭rose23

Im a NQT but I have two years teaching experience prior to the PGDE (maternity leave cover).. I dont think I will start on the new entrant scale.. what do ye think though??

• Registered Users Posts: 46 oat

As far as I know Rose23 you'll start at te bottom again. I think it starts from after you complete the pgde, I could be wrong though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

rose23 wrote: »
    Im a NQT but I have two years teaching experience prior to the PGDE (maternity leave cover).. I dont think I will start on the new entrant scale.. what do ye think though??

The two years teaching doesn't count as it was unqualified but you will be on the old salary scale not the new one as you have been employed by the department before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

The two years teaching doesn't count as it was unqualified but you will be on the old salary scale not the new one as you have been employed by the department before

I have subbed unqualified and been on the department's payroll but I will be on the new entrant salary scale when I secure a teaching post as it was unqualified subbing. I have looked onto this on the INTO and ASTI websites. Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Moody_mona wrote: »

I have subbed unqualified and been on the department's payroll but I will be on the new entrant salary scale when I secure a teaching post as it was unqualified subbing. I have looked onto this on the INTO and ASTI websites. Sorry!

Where did you find that info? All I've seen was

"You will not be classed as a 'new entrant' if you have, prior to January 2011, given any Department paid teaching service. Any teacher who has given such Department paid service, even as a short-term substitute teacher, is not classed as a 'new entrant' for the purposes of salary.

You will be classed as a 'new entrant' if you had not, prior to January 2011, given Department paid teaching service of any kind."

You've been employed so would be on old scales?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

I don't have any links, it was just from casual searching on the ASTI website. I'll have a closer look because I really thought I saw the word qualified in there and I would LOVE for you to be right!

Where is your quote from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭rose23

I actually rang the ASTI a few weeks ago to ask about this and they seemed to think that I would be on the old salary scale..

However they werent 100% certain as the report didnt say anything about 'qualified/unqualified'... so I guess I may just wait and see when I get my first pay cheque! Heres hoping that I start on the old salary scale!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭caroline72

I'm in the exact same position, emailed Payroll on the 14th of july and they haven't got back to me at all! I think though we are on the old scale. We'll just have to wait and see!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭raytray

I am in the same position also! I have emailed the department 3 times since the circular came out and have got no response! They probably have not copped on that this qualified/unqualified issue would exist. They also don't mention if you have to have subbed for a certain number of hours which would also be useful info as I just subbed during the year I was completing my PGDE so Im not sure if this counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭raytray

I just noticed this in the FAQ in the circular:
    I am a newly qualified teacher who has never worked as a substitute
    teacher – Which pay scale will I start on?
    Only service given in a teaching position pre-1 January 2011 will count as
    prior service for eligibility for pre-2011 pay scales. If you have not served in a
    teaching position (including as a substitute) before 1 January 2011 you will be
    offered a contract at the new pay rates and conditions. You cannot receive
    incremental credit for any training prior to entry to teaching.

The question would therefore imply that if you are an NQT who has worked as a sub you will be on old pay scale

Advertisement