Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blogging

• 18-08-2011 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hey guys,
    Wondering if anyone here does much blogging. I've very recently started doing some myself, just about my experience as I get into the writing world and get some major work done on my first novel.

I don't know if anyone would even be interested in reading this but hey, you'd never know. Anyway, I set up a page on Blogspot if anyone wants to check it out. http://firstdrafter.blogspot.com/

Also, post links to your own blogs here, I'd like to have a read and see how this thing works. I'm totally new.

Cheers,
    Dean

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I blog myself occasionally, but try not to get too self-indulgent or preachy with it and just keep it to light, fun stuff that others might be interested in (like tips on Facebook creeping or what irks me about Daft.ie). I can rant and vent on Facebook and Twitter, if I'm going to put time and energy into writing then I want to make sure it has something to offer the reader.

Anywho, give it a look if you're interested:
    http://theweeklybloggo.blogspot.com/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

No blog-pimping thanks, it's against the charter.

If you want to discuss blogging in general, fire ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Daleno

Apologies Pick, I did think it may be frowned upon but posted it anyway. I'm a rebel. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Blogging is a tricky aul thing, I never seem to have that much to write, especially at this stage in the game. I could go into the creative process, or look at individual characters etc., but without a fanbase it feels a bit lame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

My personal feeling is that blogging is something to be very careful about. Even though you might only be getting four regular hits (and you know two of those are your parents), you never know when something pathetic or embarrassing will go viral and make you friendless and unemployable.

More to the point, for a writer, blogs are usually first drafts or pretty rough, and the quality of the writing can be very bad advertising for your book.

A lot of writers seem to have blogs which consist of "I'm bored writing this book, so I'm going to bore you now" or worse "Why is no-one buying my book?" I never read those blogs.

The blogs I do read are funny or informative, so most of them are about breastfeeding or sex/health issues. Okay, and a bit of man-bashing, if it's funny.

Mind you, I enjoyed the Facebook Creeper.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I keep my blog as an open diary. It's somewhat risky from a privacy point of view, but I only publish what I'm happy to make public so that doesn't bother me. I only use it two or three times a month though. I'm nowhere near as prolific as I'd like to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Dublin141

EileenG wrote: »
    Even though you might only be getting four regular hits (and you know two of those are your parents)

Eek, I hope they aren't. :o

I quite like blogging, and I read a lot of blogs. I've made a lot of contacts through blogging. If it wasn't for blogs, I probably wouldn't have a clue what was going on in the world. :)

I haven't been blogging as much lately, but a lot of my older posts were random/writing or writing challenge related/indie publishing tips, etc. Now it's often answers to questions I get emailed about the most. I keep thinking I should set up a proper website, but I like the way the blog is more informal.

I feel like I'm using Twitter a lot more than my blog now that I don't have as much time for it. Easier to share a link or a thought without creating an entire post.

Can't believe I finally "get" Twitter. :rolleyes:

I think blogging is mostly harmless for writers, but every now and then you come across a post that makes you want to cover your eyes. The internet is great for connecting with potential readers, but just as good for repulsing some of them too. Twitter is worse than blogging for that though. There's always some (hastily screenshot in case of deletion) industry drama on there. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

To be honest, I think sites like this are potentially riskier for people than blogs, simply because you're getting in conversations and thus are more likely to be probed, or unwittingly reveal more info about yourself than you'd be happy to beforehand. At least with blogging there's that central control that you have over it, which is essential for people whose reputation could take a hammering from blog posts.

But I also get how publicising one could back-fire if a potential publisher were to read it. Almost all of my blogs are first draft (with a quick scan edit to dust it down before I click 'Post').

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

That's what I mean. I know I've posted various things here with misspellings or weird grammar, and it's not going to be held against me. But if I put out a blog with typos, that will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

I dunno, I use a completely different style of writing for my blogs compared to my books. Much more chatty (even though my books are pretty "Type it as you'd Say it" anyhows) and relaxed. I doubt someone is going to look at little bits and say "Oh my god, his excessive use of smilies offends me! I shall never read his writing!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I like blogging. It does not cost you anything and I have had strangers actually read some of my posts and give feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I wouldn't have a clue what to blog about. Plus I'd see it as time spent when I should be writing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Hrududu wrote: »
    I wouldn't have a clue what to blog about. Plus I'd see it as time spent when I should be writing.

You can use it to post samples of your work. Many a book emerged from a blog- Belle de Jour for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Arfan

The blog is an easy way to work out stories and focus on smaller pieces. Yes there's no editor to keep out the the problems. On the upside I get more feedback than without.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CD.

I quite enjoy blogging, it has made me far more productive than I was previously. I post short stories with a little blog intro things on some of them. If I post on one of my off days it is usually a blog post, sometimes I also post annoucements but generally I stick to the three short story model I have developed/gotten used to.

I'm on my 59th (i think) post, so that would be 53 short stories, the majority of which are written on the day they are to be posted (sometimes the day before, though it's usually on the day) I ran out of stories that I had already written pretty quickly so since May I've written a good 40 short stories or so.

It helps me get my writing out there, even if it is like screaming into a vast, empty void. When ever I hit 20 short stories, I compile them into an ebook, which I then self publish on Amazon and Smashwords, which also helps get my name out there and in a broader market. I've two ebooks done already, and the more I have up the more likely someone will stumble across them. Even if I never get money from it, its nice to know that someone out there is getting enjoyment out of what I write.

I half get twitter and half don't. I always feel like I'm commiting some kind of faux pas without realising it.

But since I have started the blog I have gone from writing a short story every now and then, maybe once a month, or even once ever two months, to writing three a week and so far I have only missed one post and that was due to a brief hospitilisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

I blog about whatever pops into my head at the time. I mostly word vomit, though some thought goes into it as all the images I use, I've either taken, created or doctored.

I've had two blogs. The first was kinda rubbish and was started two years ago. It had several posts go mildly viral. I had three posts that got over 5,000 hits, and one that amassed 20k.

I started a new blog three months ago. It's doing pretty good. I'm slowly but surely building up a readership and have five or six regular commenters - so at least I don't look lonely. :D

My blog isn't quite a stellar example of my writing, but I have no fear of anything embarrassing leaking from it. Likewise, I'd be perfectly happy to show it to just about anyone. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

I use a blog more as a diary to look back and see what I was doing to kind of set targets. A lot of competitions ask for work that has never been published before so does posting on your own blog or others now constitute a published piece thus precluding you from entering?

Apologies if slightly off topic for example short stories, I have about 6 or more versions of stories from changes to punctuation marks to complete re write. So what constitutes a different story for example if you submitted a different version to that 'published' on a blog is this acceptable or frowned upon or depend on the changes made which could be quite subjective according to different opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

I'm pretty sure it doesn't count as prior publication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

I wouldn't call it blogging, but I have wordpress set up on my website and post some of my stories there every so often. If I had hopes for professional publication of a piece, I'd never post it there - or here, for that matter. I'm fairy certain a publication house would view it as prior publication. How could you call it anything else?

Obviously that wouldn't count with regards self publishing an ebook, where you control the whole process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bobbyhoskyn

rate my best man speach please
    hello ladies and gents and anton (groom)
    im andy the best man as you,ve probably worked out by now as im standing here with the best man speach and trying to take advarntage off all the insurcure women at this wedding 1st things 1st lets raise our glasses to how beautifull jemma looks today and now lets put our glasses down to how jems as ended up with anton
    i know as best man im surpossed to tell the story of our friendship since we were kids but the truth of the matter is wve only known eacherother for about six years and the first time we met we got so intoxicated we knew we was made for eachother
    but in these six years ive learnt alot about anton and probably forgotton more due to the fact that every time we meet which is in church we take liberties with the holy water
    but now i gonna say some nce things about anton,
    never to be repeated because were alpha males and hard men
    (look at bride)aint we jem
    but on a serious note anton is a great bloke with a big heart and i feel privalidged to stand here as his best man today
    you know ive had to buy a trophy cabinet for the gifts anton has bought harry
    im a big spurs fan and anton got harry a signed spurs ball from the actual team that was playing the week he was born and on top of that he got harry a personalised signed kit from gareth bale and tim sherwood one spurs great and one in the making
    and antons a gooner
    and for all you women that dont unerstand whats just gone on its like your husbands admitting everything they have ever done is wrong
    time to sign off now
    love you both
    so lets raise our glasses to the happy couple
    anton and jemma have a wonderfull life together

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sally2

be careful on what you post online
    once posted there is no going back
    so think before publishing anything may be it isn't a thing that you would be comfortable with in publish view after a couple of years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I blog all the time and it is very rewarding, well not financially of course but I blog about a particular topic and I have gotten great satisfaction in doing so as well as recognition from the drinks industry in general. The occasional free samples and the odd (well one) paid for trip to another country certainly helps.

I don't do it for any rewards other than the knowledge that people read what I write and find it useful.

In terms of readership, I think I do ok. Usually 5000 a month depending on what I write about. Sometimes a little less, sometimes more.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ben Moore

I have only started blogging recently, professionally and privately, it help me get over writers block.

I have fallen into a few traps mentioned above and appreciate the tips.

I love the freedom of it (private) and the research needed for the professional ones.

Writing everyday is one of the hardest parts of writing.

I believe in Blog.

Advertisement