Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The long way to work

• 18-08-2011 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Since been diagnosed with children I have found that most of my cycling is now restricted to the short commute, in and out, the same every day.

Have tried to spice it up with traffic light interval training and RLJ chasing but this fine morning I decided to arrive in late and take a detour via Jonny Foxes and the Devil's Elbow on the way in. Jeesh its really something up there - amazing to have such nice neck of the woods only half an hour away.

Have tried a few times to do the long way home, but never manage to get out of work early enough or awake enough. Weather always seems better in the AM too. Anyone else detour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

Most days, so a 1 hour total commute can become 2 hours instead (or 3 on a friday!). Perversely i love arriving home soaked to the skin covered in c**p, sort of feel like you have achieved something........created more washing that is !

Winter commutes back from work on a starry night up a decent hill also feel like you are out there putting the effort in and a bit more part of your surroudings than you are in the car.

I find its good in that Im NOT focussed on getting to work and being mentally in work mode. Instead the mind is more with the hills and where I might go that day and enjoying any speed I might build up.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I always go the direct route into work (23kms or so) but usually add between 2 and 15km on the way home to get get some more distance in, and take in the odd hill climb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I regularly turn the wrong way out the door of a morning and end up with a 60-70k commute instead of the usual 14k. North Co. Dublin is my usual stomping ground...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

The direct route for me is 16km, but I usually go the long way which is 25km. I'd have to be badly stuck for time to go direct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I regularly turn the wrong way out the door of a morning and end up with a 60-70k commute instead of the usual 14k. North Co. Dublin is my usual stomping ground...

I think I spotted you on a detour on Tuesday morning sporting a Boards jersey near Oldtown. Gave you a beep as well from a red Corolla. Was giving the folks an early morning tour of NCD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

flatface wrote: »
    Since been diagnosed with children I have found that most of my cycling is now restricted to the short commute, in and out, the same every day.QUOTE]

I like the way you phrased your situation. I'm in the same boat. It's tough going but a joy to get out on the bike. Great peace of mind until the last few km.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

In the mornings I'd just do intervals between the traffic lights. In the evenings I occasionally go up Edmondstown road a bit (Yellow House to Merry Ploughboy's) to get a few extra km with a bit of a climb.
    Maybe I should adopt the practices of the above people and go to work really early just arrive at the usual time or later going the long way round to get even more distance in the legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

Never a spur of the moment detour and I dont do it often enough but occasionaly during the summer months I leave the fixed geared bike at home and go in on my road bike and go home via the Sally Gap from Citywest bringing the commute home from 30km to 70km. For it to happen everything has to run smoothly during the day to make sure I get out a bit early and won't be too late home.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭julio_iglayzis

I commuted on a hardtail mountain bike (with slicks) for the last few years, but I recently upgraded to a Felt Z85 road bike. The difference in terms of acceleration and overall speed is just unreal, it's a joy to cycle.

And weirdly enough I find it's improving my mountain biking performance.

So I regularly find myself taking long/scenic routes home - this is my most direct route home and here's a longer version that I do most days - there's not an enormous difference in terms of distance, but there is in terms of gradient - it's a pleasure tackling hills on a road bike, especially after years of hauling a 30lb hardtail around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

no shower in work so it's the direct route in (12km), and then on way home i try to get in a longish spin a few times a week.

during the summer i've been going over the sally gap from rathfarnham side and home to kilmainham via kilbride and tallaght.

getting a bit dark for that now though, (maybe i'm just too slow)

what do you all do during the darker evenings during the winter? just stick the lights on and fire away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I like my bed too much to divert in the mornings and I like my dinner too much to divert in the evenings. At most, sometimes I take the time to hammer up the first climb on Stocking Lane rather than the less vertical route.
    With a bag on your back, hill climbing is about 1000% less enjoyable (not that I enjoy it anyway), so the thought of taking another 20 minutes to climb up to viewpoint just doesn't appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

I've been diagnosed with the same condition :) My normal route is 8km, in the morning my detour is now 15km, while in the evening feeling a little lazy its only 12km.

Advertisement