Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Comeback Trail

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Fri- 5 miles recovery to get that session out of the legs

Sat- 10 miles @7min pace... Ended up doing a couple of more miles than I planned but met someone I know down in the Park and tacked on a few miles w/ him... felt very good really happy w/ training lately...

this week- 54 miles.

4 mile tempo today on the acres at the pp. super windy up there and some sort of race going on. Didn't want to do this but sucked it up and ran 23:45 for the 4 miles or 5:56 pace. Got stood up by the wind on a big chunk of this so the effort level picked up on those stretches. Glad this is done and I can enjoy my Sunday! C'mon the Arsenal and the Pats!

Yesterday- 5 miles very easy

Today- 1 mile w/up

16x 1 min on 1 min off

(5 miles)

2 mile cool down
    8miles total 57:15
    Not sure if this workout made any sense or was any good. I hit the reps too fast at first then brought them under control... was hitting 5:15 pace for the first 8 or so then down to 5:30-5:40 pace for the next 8. Sometimes I think I'm an idiot...

Big payoff today as I crossed the line first in the Malahide Parkrun in 17:04 or so (by my watch waiting on the official time). Completely delighted with that as there were large lakes on the course that slowed things down big time so I reckon it was more like a 16:40-16:50 effort. Felt really good- a lad took it out in 5:20, I passed him with a surge at 1.5 miles and put him away on the hillier/wet parts of the course.

I'd say its my first win since 1997/1998 (granted I took a 13 year break lol) All the hard work is really starting to payoff as I can feel my body coming back to a familiar place. Hopefully can keep the consistency up and the times will keep coming down....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭jfh

Well done, nice to get a win, keep u eager to get out in this weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Well done!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Super run man. Given the conditions as of late I can only imagine state of the course. Think we under estimated what shape you are actually in on thurs.

Keep it up that sub 17 is an afterthought at this stage just gotta keep thes consistency

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AJAYC

Great run, the depth of the waters took me by surprise, I'd be inclined to take off more time for the aquatic sections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Well done, it's amazing what joining TAC have done to your career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

TRR wrote: »
    Well done, it's amazing what joining TAC have done to your career.

And to his profile with the relevant authorities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

drquirky wrote: »
    Big payoff today as I crossed the line first in the Malahide Parkrun in 17:04 or so (by my watch waiting on the official time). Completely delighted with that as there were large lakes on the course that slowed things down big time so I reckon it was more like a 16:40-16:50 effort. Felt really good- a lad took it out in 5:20, I passed him with a surge at 1.5 miles and put him away on the hillier/wet parts of the course.

I'd say its my first win since 1997/1998 (granted I took a 13 year break lol) All the hard work is really starting to payoff as I can feel my body coming back to a familiar place. Hopefully can keep the consistency up and the times will keep coming down....

Great run and I'm delighted Parkrun was venue for your comeback win - and in awful XC like conditions. I just 'found' your log today following from Sat, it's a fantastic read (being off sick today I got to read it all, and do loads of on-line posting). Your determination shines thru and I'm looking forward already to the success 2013 will bring you!

Walkedit wrote: »

Great run and I'm delighted Parkrun was venue for your comeback win - and in awful XC like conditions. I just 'found' your log today following from Sat, it's a fantastic read (being off sick today I got to read it all, and do loads of on-line posting). Your determination shines thru and I'm looking forward already to the success 2013 will bring you!

Thanks Walked It! Dunno about determination as I've had a good few stops and starts but finally starting to get consistent now anyways. Thanks a bunch for volunteering at those Parkruns- it's a great addition to the Dublin running scene! Hope ya feel better soon!

After the race on Saturday, I had my stag that night. Bad.Idea. My legs were in bits all Sunday as I attempted to bring myself back from the dead

Monday got 8 miles in crappy wind done alternated between 7 min pace on the non windy sections and 8 mm when the wind was in my face

Tuesday 14x400 off 45 sec recovery ran this with Ecoli and he did 20! We hit 78-80 for most of em though the wind was a huge factor... Effort was very high for me on the last couple but good session

Weds- 8 miles easy at 7:45 pace or so

Thursday- 12 miles w 7 steady tough tough run- was tired and effort level was high throughout. Wind seemed in my face the whole way especially up military hill! Dropped a good few 6:35-6:40 miles but hard to judge as any miles into the wind dropped wayyy back. Headed to Spain for work on Sunday for a few days so will be delighted to be out in decent conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Walkedit

Thanks Walked It! Dunno about determination as I've had a good few stops and starts but finally starting to get consistent now anyways. Thanks a bunch for volunteering at those Parkruns- it's a great addition to the Dublin running scene! Hope ya feel better soon!

Thanks - just a virus - will be better in a few days. The determination is in keeping coming back and having a little 'un arrive in the interim changes life for everyone so ye've done well, and some of your sessions are epic - especially the hills. Ya for Parkrun - I hope it continues to get great support and I'll be looking forward to you cracking out a fantastic 5k time there when the underfoot dries out!

Friday 5 miles easy

Saturday 1 mile wu tempo run 5 miles in 29:23 2 miles cool down
    Very happy with this run- didnt really wanna do it but put the head down and was happy with the pace esp because its a hilly enough loop ...

Was in Malaga on business for the last few days - got one glorious run done in the sun of 7 miles but that was it and ended up with 3 days off :( no worries was back on the horse this morning

4x Munich hill loops in the pp ( v hard) atrocious conditions underfoot and I had no spikes on so did 3 of the Munich loops of a mile each w 2 min recovery all around 6 min which sounds slow but believe me effort through the roof . Ran 4th repeat on pavement to ease my mind about the pace and came through in 5:33 w significantly less effort than the munichs lol. Will run again this pm then 13 tomorrow

On a side note had bloods taken last week and they came back am pretty low in Vit D so will be interesting to see what affect supplementation will have on my running

Pm- 4 miles easy (7:44 pace) this weather sucks :(

Today- 13 miles in 1:31. Felt really good for this one today- love when I head out and nothing seems like much of an effort ( not always the case for sure though !) lovely temps out there today for a change...

In North Leitrim for the weekend so gonna try and get a session in tomorrow!

Pushed for time today so into Sligo IT for a tempo on the track... The track makes a big difference! 5 miles in 28:52 went through 5k in 17:30 ! Didnt feel stressed at all even though the pace was a good bit quicker than planned. Hit mostly 5:41 and faded slightly on the last two with a 5:47 and 5:5x good workout.

On a side note a couple of very quick looking sprint dudes were doing a workout at the same time - so funny 3 or 4 reps and then out- sometimes I forget how hilarious sprint workouts really are lol wish I had more fast twitch finers so I could be done so quick !

Not great training the last few weeks but my wedding is in 6days time so have a bit of an excuse! After the tempo last week- managed a 600 workout w/ Ecoli down at the club....got dropped during the 6th rep but worked my way back and ended up doing 8x600 4x400 w/ 1 min rec. Around 1:59 for 600's and 77's for 400's. Hate these kind of workouts as they expose my short interval weakness

Ran Parkrun on Saturday finished in 17:10 good for 3rd place- had a cold (still have) so not too distressed about that result... (also finished a couple seconds up on a certain boards moderator/ training partner) especially sweet because the young fella destroys my ass in training on a regular basis...cold has gotten worse today so that sucks- hope it clears for the wedding!

Off to Cuba for 10 days after that so plan to do some running just to keep the fitness ticking over. At least 1 track workout in the National Stadium in Havana is something I'm working on (I'm sure the new wife will be thrilled with that!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Off to Cuba for 10 days after that so plan to do some running just to keep the fitness ticking over. At least 1 track workout in the National Stadium in Havana is something I'm working on (I'm sure the new wife will be thrilled with that!)

Ah relax and take a bit of time off completely put the feet up and lash in the beers (Need some way to slow you down after yesterday:D)

Advertisement