Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance Claim - No NCT

Options
  • 18-08-2011 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

I'm in the process of submitting a car insurance claim for a stolen car but have just realised that my NCT was out of date. Is this likely to have an impact on my claim given the fact that this was not a result of an accident?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Possibly.

A claim is a claim and a vehicle has to be road worthy in order for it to be insured.

You will need to contact your insurer asap to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Accident or not, some insurers have an absolute exclusion for own vehicle claims without a current NCT. They may be lenient if you had it booked it but not yet tested. Check the policy document.

Others may consider a vehicle without a NCT to be of far less value than a tested one & that will be reflected in any offer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Wait a second.
    As far as I know having with valid NCT is not legal requirement.
    It's only required to have NCT while being driven on public roads.

Therefore, insurance company can't expect anyone to have their car NCT if it's parked and not being used.

Unless it's one of the policy conditions that car has to be NCTed to be insured, but I seriously doubt it, as all policies I had so far, didn't have such requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

CiniO wrote: »
    Wait a second.
    As far as I know having with valid NCT is not legal requirement.
    It's only required to have NCT while being driven on public roads.

Therefore, insurance company can't expect anyone to have their car NCT if it's parked and not being used.

Unless it's one of the policy conditions that car has to be NCTed to be insured, but I seriously doubt it, as all policies I had so far, didn't have such requirement.
    Forget the legal side of things. The subject is contained in many policy documents and therefore is part of the contract you agreed.

If it is not specifically stated in the policy, an insurer can rightly argue that the market value of a car without a current NCT is less (often significantly) than one with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

This is simply an observation, but there are quite a lot of cars out of NCT, with outstanding finance, with owners who cannot afford to make payments, that get stolen and burned out.

Your insurers might be very thorough in their investigation of this claim.

• Advertisement
Advertisement