Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the gym situation?

Options
  • 18-08-2011 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,661 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know when the new gym is supposed to be finished and how much ittl cost to use? What gyms are people using in the meantime?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

AdamD wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the new gym is supposed to be finished and how much ittl cost to use? What gyms are people using in the meantime?

i wondered the same
    i heard its free for undergrads but no one has giving a solid answer yet :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

At best, January, at worst, next year.

Actually, at worst never, but it's very unlikely to not be open by next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭mrac

Will it be free for postgrads too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

mrac wrote: »

Most likely not, but will be at a reduced cost to Alumni.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

Raphael wrote: »
    At best, January, at worst, next year.

Actually, at worst never, but it's very unlikely to not be open by next year.

is it free 4 undergrads or not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

If by postgrads you mean people doing postgrad in UCD, then yeah, most likely. If it's free for one kinda student, it'll be free for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

I'm hoping to go to UCD in Sept. Will I just join the current Gym and get my membership transferred to the new Gym in January provided it's up and running?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

The new gym was supposed to open in September, but was delayed and the last official update was that it will open in January. However now the current Crunch gym is staying open until next May, so its likely that the new gym won't open until then.

The new gym will be free for ALL students (under and post grad) and staff. By free, they haven't said if it will be genuinely free, or free like in Trinity where something like €50 is added to everyone's reg fee for the gym. Alumni will be able to avail of a discount membership.

The current Crunch gym will be circa €180 for the academic year. If the new gym opens earlier than next May I'm presuming the membership won't be able to be transferred on account of them being run by different people, and the new one will be free anyway.

You won't find many places cheaper than the current Crunch, however it wouldn't be too hard to find better gyms. There is a thread somewhere here that has a list of gyms close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,661 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Bumping this, looks almost done judging from the building works/photos on facebook. Is there definitely going to be a new gym in the new student centre or is it just a swimming pool?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

AdamD wrote: »
    Is there definitely going to be a new gym in the new student centre or is it just a swimming pool?

There is definitely going to be a new gym.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'm wondering if they'll try and hide final costs. Now I know a lot of students use the current facilities, and more will probably use the new ones, but the money should have been used elsewhere first. If Hugh Brady's legacy is a new student centre & gym, it's not a lot to shout about.

They could have put some installations around the campus like are in some parks, mapped out various running routes and such and many would have appreciated that.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Weepsie wrote: »
    I'm wondering if they'll try and hide final costs. Now I know a lot of students use the current facilities, and more will probably use the new ones, but the money should have been used elsewhere first. If Hugh Brady's legacy is a new student centre & gym, it's not a lot to shout about.

They could have put some installations around the campus like are in some parks, mapped out various running routes and such and many would have appreciated that.

Well the buildings that have gone up in Brady's time have been Health Science, Newstead, Research (Admin), and NIBRT (maybe Vet-Sci as well, not sure). He really wanted Gateway to be created in his time (thankfully it hasn't). There is a woodland route thing around campus that can be used for running. http://www.ucd.ie/t4cms/UCD%20Woodland%20Walk%20Map%20and%20Guide.pdf

Seeing that the students have funded the new student centre, for once I see this as a reasonable return for investment. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Weepsie wrote: »

As stated above, all the walking / running routes were put online in 2010ish.

With regards to the 'park-like' workout installations.. I think it'd be far too random to have a few dotted around the campus. There are far better things to spend money on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Would strongly disagree with €50 (Or whatever) being put on my fee's if I don't use the gym on campus. Should be paid for by users, even if its a token amount.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Many of the buildings completed in the the last few years were planned and budgeted for well in advance of this current term.

I accept the routes have been good, but the installations wouldnt be that random, and they would be used if they were of good quality.

I've also paid for the student centre twice now and will never have had a chance to use it. It's a travesty that the libraries can not get new materials while this is being built at a far higher cost than it should be and at nearly twice as long as it needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

ironclaw wrote: »
    Would strongly disagree with €50 (Or whatever) being put on my fee's if I don't use the gym on campus. Should be paid for by users, even if its a token amount.

+1. If I want to use the gym, I'll pay for it (but subsidise it by all means).

Same with the cinema. It will be cheap to see a film, but not free (because free means you will pay either way!)

Advertisement