Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintaining sweetness with Live Yeast

Options
  • 18-08-2011 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I do a bit of unconventional brewing (Ginger Beer, Elderflower, 'rustic' brews etc.).

I don't kill the yeast when I am done, and I do some simple sugar priming to carbonate the bottles.

One issue I face is that my brews in general taste better when they are sweet. However its not realistic for me to refrigerate everything, and I am looking for tips to maintain some sweetness in the beverage.

I am wondering if anyone could share some ideas on this? I have experimented with using different sugars or sugar blends that the yeast cannot metabolise (e.g. Honey, unrefined sugar and molasses). Is there any others that I could use?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

+1 on the splenda.....i load the stuff in if i want to make sweet ciders

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Thanks guys. Been too process minded lately, never would have thought of the obvious choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Splenda is sucralose based by the way, there are a few types of artificial sweetner out there but I much prefer sucralose. Tesco premium diet cola has sucralose and is nice, M&S do too. I think some other brands are changing over to sucralose too.

Advertisement