Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When are the local council elections?

Options
  • 18-08-2011 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering when they are?

Also how many places are there on Greystones Town council? We need some serious candidates to stand or the Harbour Gate crowd WILL get re-elected. Can you imagine the smugness.

I really hope there are some decent folk out there that have the time to invest in representing us. Note the keyword ... representing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Local elections are held in Ireland every 5 years in the month of May or June. At these elections, members of the local community elect Councillors to represent the community in local authorities. At present, there are over 3 million local government electors in Ireland.

Last Local Elections were held in 2009 so next election is due in 2014.

The harbour development work was already in progress before the last local elections.

P.S. There are 9 seats on Greystones Town Council and I think there are 25 seats on Wicklow County Council

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Thanks John for answering (allbeit rather dismayed the answer did not come in photographic form .. chuckle).

Yes there are 3 million that voted in this country, but I am not one that voted for the motley crew that have run this town as their own little fiefdom, resulting in a harbour that looks like a bomb site from WW11. Clearly others did. I did vote of course. 2009 seems a long time ago.

I fear there will be a repeat of the last election where there will not be enough serious candidates to vote for and the existing councillors that have let Greystones' people down will sneak in. I am dismayed that it will take that long to remove the current councillors from office that so many are disillusioned with. Not all of course - there are some excellent people representing us.

Just my opinion so don't come out with the heavies and pitchforks ;)

Not wishing to start a hot debate here but just pointing out that in a previous election a high profile (at the time ) anti marina campaigner who put herself up for election did not come near being elected. Surprising when you hear all the comments now about the present and previous councillors.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0809/greystones.html
    "Opponents disappointed

The Greystones Protection and Development Association, which opposed plans for the redevelopment of Greystones Harbour, has said it is hugely disappointed with An Bord Pleanála's decision.

Spokesperson Evelyn Cawley said the size and scale of the plans were wrong for the area and were not a good fit."

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There are 24 members of Wicklow County Council - 4 of them are elected from Greystones. Greystones Town council has 9 members. There is a likelihood that town councils might in fact be abolished. The next locals will probably June 2014.

I don't think it's overly surprising that Evelyn Cawley didn't do that well - the issue was mainly a Greystones one

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I don't think it's overly surprising that Evelyn Cawley didn't do that well - the issue was mainly a Greystones one
    It was nothing to do with the issue being a Greystones one. At the time the Harbour issue split the community in two. Threads here were regularly closed and bans issued here. In relation to Cawley, a lot of folks I know were also very sceptical of the motives of the wife of a senior executive with Ryanair. I and some neighbours felt at the time she was a hobbyist.

The difference now is all those people are now one group looking to make the best of a bad situation and the situation seems to be that the councillors have one opinion and everyone else has another. Maybe, instead of sticking junk mail through people's doors, they should ring the doorbell and SPEAK to people. Could you imagine that? Someone asking your opinion rather than asking for a vote...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I would agree with that. I'm surprised that some people think its a problem when a candidate has a partner who has a track record running a successful company.
    And lets face it, Ryanair is one of Ireland's most successful ever indigenous companies. Compare that to Seanie and his failed Anglo bank; a company that relied more on political connections than business acumen.

At the end of the day, people get the government they deserve. And we are unfortunately a nation of begrudgers, with an unhealthy tolerance for low level corruption if there's a chance of some crumbs falling in our own direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭F3

It was nothing to do with the issue being a Greystones one. At the time the Harbour issue split the community in two. Threads here were regularly closed and bans issued here. In relation to Cawley, a lot of folks I know were also very sceptical of the motives of the wife of a senior executive with Ryanair. I and some neighbours felt at the time she was a hobbyist.

The difference now is all those people are now one group looking to make the best of a bad situation and the situation seems to be that the councillors have one opinion and everyone else has another. Maybe, instead of sticking junk mail through people's doors, they should ring the doorbell and SPEAK to people. Could you imagine that? Someone asking your opinion rather than asking for a vote...

Ahhhhh Mike do you really not know how it works?

let me tell you, but first, go and get a bucket, because you will vomit just as I did.

The town Councillors [& WCC'rs] get elected by making promises to friends and neighbours looking for change i.e. someone to really make a difference in the community. [most genuinely these new TC's believe that they can make a difference to begin with] Right up to the point say for example they are asked by a 'sector' of the community to get for example 'a pelican crossing at XYZ'.

Where does that Councillor go to get the pelican crossing?

To the smarmy senior civil servant who has the authority the budget and the power to make it happen or not.

Now in theory this civil servant [director of services] works for or reprots to the same politicians, but in practice, the civil servant is there for life and the politician is not. He / She needs the DoS to get votes in exchange for pelican crossings. You should just see the sycophantic ass licking demeanor of our weak TC's when they meet any director of services, this is the cess pool of corruption that this county's rich history is founded upon. I am sick sick sick of it. Name and shame is where its really at.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

Everybody is a bit hypnotised by the success of the fireworks night, and grateful for any crumb from Sispar — which I admit only GUBOH's presence gave us. The harbour is about to open, there are boat pens, there will be a small public area — so everyone thinks, that's OK then.

The problem for GUBOH is that it's easy to demand and maybe get when nothing is on offer, but your support melts when something, however basic, is offered. Then you have to get political and work within the system to worm more stuff, bit by bit, out of the opposition. Tough furrow to plough.

The politicians — with a couple of exceptions — will trumpet every concession by Sispar as The Second Coming, because they just want it all to go away, get back to their pre-controversy easy life, collect their expenses and remunerations, and head off to twinning ceremonies (in Holyhead?). Which makes it difficult for GUBOH to keep them onside and pressuring Sispar.

In fact, they are already doing this, not pressing Sispar and tugging the forelock in gratitude for the crumbs on offer.

GUBOH should start preparing now for the local elections in 2014. I'd vote for them. In fact, I think they'd sweep the boards if there's no medical centre, no clubhouses, no public plaza, no public park, no access to the north pier, etc etc.

It's not that far off, in political terms, and Sispar will probably no longer exist by then, so who will be developing the harbour site then? Nobody? The Kuwaiti Investment Agency? A hedge fund? George Soros?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

F3 wrote: »
    Ahhhhh Mike do you really not know how it works?

let me tell you, but first, go and get a bucket, because you will vomit just as I did.

The town Councillors [& WCC'rs] get elected by making promises to friends and neighbours looking for change i.e. someone to really make a difference in the community. [most genuinely these new TC's believe that they can make a difference to begin with] Right up to the point say for example they are asked by a 'sector' of the community to get for example 'a pelican crossing at XYZ'.

Where does that Councillor go to get the pelican crossing?

To the smarmy senior civil servant who has the authority the budget and the power to make it happen or not.

Now in theory this civil servant [director of services] works for or reprots to the same politicians, but in practice, the civil servant is there for life and the politician is not. He / She needs the DoS to get votes in exchange for pelican crossings. You should just see the sycophantic ass licking demeanor of our weak TC's when they meet any director of services, this is the cess pool of corruption that this county's rich history is founded upon. I am sick sick sick of it. Name and shame is where its really at.

Unfortunately I wholeheartedly agree with this F3. Having worked closely with WCC in previous years I was appalled at the level of cronyism unashamedly taking place. The Director of Services have a huge amount of power because of their budget allocation and there is an extreme lack of accountability.

Also the majority of councillors have been in the role for YEARS. Hopefully with some proactive, fresh individuals entering the council this set up can be changed. My fear is that the power in the corridors will seep through the skin of even the most dedicated councillor. However I think if enough new people stood and got in they could carry weight in numbers. I, for one, have found the actions of the GBUH group to be apolitical. I'm not sure if they would be happy to "play the game" as F3 has stated above. I would be delighted if they stood (and I have no links with any of the inidviduals).

• Advertisement

Everybody is a bit hypnotised by the success of the fireworks night, and grateful for any crumb from Sispar —

I think you are underestimating the people of Greystones and surrounding area. Lots of people were not aware of the fireworks so could not have been hypnotised.
    There are a lot more issues affecting the people of the area than the harbour.
    You may be hypnotised by what you claim to have done but it is a very small piece of the overall wants of the area.
    Where were you during the last local elections ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Where were you during the last local elections ?

Voting against the government. You?

Voting against the government. You?
    I always use my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭F3

Unfortunately I wholeheartedly agree with this F3. Having worked closely with WCC in previous years I was appalled at the level of cronyism unashamedly taking place. The Director of Services have a huge amount of power because of their budget allocation and there is an extreme lack of accountability.

Also the majority of councillors have been in the role for YEARS. Hopefully with some proactive, fresh individuals entering the council this set up can be changed. My fear is that the power in the corridors will seep through the skin of even the most dedicated councillor. However I think if enough new people stood and got in they could carry weight in numbers. I, for one, have found the actions of the GBUH group to be apolitical. I'm not sure if they would be happy to "play the game" as F3 has stated above. I would be delighted if they stood (and I have no links with any of the inidviduals).

I don't know who the individuals or ring leaders are, but the GUBOH movement was 800 strong and probably 10 times that when you cosinder about 10% of the community supporters have Facebook accounts. Did you meet anyone who didn't support the 'Give Us Back Our Harbour'? Basil I know was the spokesman and came across as a well spoken and educated man who was most certainly apolitical.

Advertisement