Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jury Duty

• 18-08-2011 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

Evening all, i'm hoping the legal professionals here can clarify something that is causing me great concern, i am to do jury service very shortly (happy to do so), i work shift work but not overnight shift. My employer though is being a bit awkward. My employer has stated that i am not in the 'employ' of the court whilst doing jury duty. Example: Im doing jury service monday-friday; were i in my workplace & i'm due to be off on saturday & sunday my employer is now telling me i MUST work saturday & sunday also. The week is long enough at times! Can my employer do this? I rang the courts service & the person i spoke to said they cannot & posted my out a pamphlet in relation to jury service etc. I showed this to my employer who catagorically stated whats on the document to be untrue (go figure:rolleyes:). I must admit this is giving me great cause for concern as i like my job, i'm very greatful to be in employment but i value my time off as i get to catch up with my wife & children. As usual Boardsies any & all input is greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GeorgeOrwell

I am not an expert, but that seems very unfair at best.

Is there any way you could give your employer the contact details of the person you spoke to at the Courts Service and ask them to discuss it directly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 aacs

But the case appears to be the employer is following corrupt practices, he won't talk with anyone. He might try to scare the concerned...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I'd contact NERA and see if they can give you some advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 KenpoKol

Your Employer cant do that, as far as i know.
    Your employer cant use jury duty as an excuse to do that.

All you have to say is no i am not doing it.

If he does anything in retaliation...contact a lawyer, some will work for free or give free consultation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Tell the judge hearing the case you're deliberating on and see the reaction :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement