Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

University of London -recognised degrees in Ireland?

Options
  • 18-08-2011 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭

Hi at the moment im studying business and law degree in dit part time but i was looking at the university of london also known as london international and they offer degrees through distance learning at a much lower cost. Im thinking of now doing a Bsc in Business administration and marketing as it might prove to be better for the company i work for and offer better career prospects. if i continue with studying with DIT it will be much more expensive also.
    Last year the fees were €2095 per year so another 3 years as it is an honours degree means a further €6285 minus 20% tax relief = €4998 in total

University of london: Year 1 : £1577 which consists of 2 full units at £176 each and 4 half units costing £88 , £63 application fee and £810 initial registration fee ( im not certain but i think im also able to claim 20% tax relief as its in the EU and im working full time)

Year 2: £1078 whicg consists of 4 full units at £176 each ,continued registration £311 and application fee £63.

Year 3: £1078 whicg consists of 4 full units at £176 each ,continued registration £311 and application fee £63.

So £3733 / €4300 with 20% tax relief means its €3564 in total for a pretty reputable degree from what i read on uk student forums.
    Im wondering though how my company or other prospective employers would recognise it here? how do other colleges view University of london degrees as i may also like to study a masters here in the future?
    Has anybody any experiance with this college?
    I have read that they provide pretty much zero support but im fine wioth just studying on my own initiative and just turning up and sitting the exams.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Contrarian

Hi, my employer paid for me to complete a graduate diploma in management through the University of London. The fees are very reasonable however for such a good University. Graduated last year, went over to the barbican for the ceremony and had a great time. Its a very well regarded institution, one of the top Universities in the UK and the lead college was the LSE. The LSE is involved in the business related courses and the final diploma I received actually has the UoL and the LSE on it! I was able to go over there for study weekends which were enjoyable but not compulsory. In general you are on your own with the coursework and the standards are high so you need discipline but there are good study guides and online resources provided. I chose to sit the exams in London every year, but you can sit them in Ireland if you want. All in all I would recommend it as its flexible, high quality and reasonable fee wise. Best of luck whatever you decide to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but are these degrees recognized as NFQ level 8, if I wanted to go and do a masters in an irish college would a 3 years BsC degree from London university allow me to do so ?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭my teapot is orange

I think in theory you could use it to do a masters in Ireland. It is examined at the same standard as the degree students at the lead university, i.e. if you do a BSc through University of International lead by LSE, you sit the same exams as LSE students. Send a quick email to the admissions officers at the universities you would like to do the masters at, explaining your plan to get a feel for how well it would be received.

Advertisement