Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debt:Is the background of foreign security guard involved in debt collection checked?

Options
  • 18-08-2011 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Security firms are being used to chase debts of ordinary people. Security guards can just turn up at your door. Some security guards are from outside Ireland. Some could be ex-army from war torn nations or have any kind of criminal records. If you owe money a receiver could take them to your home. Does anybody check foreign security guards previous history? This is important given they could be chasing debts e.g. with receivers etc and could turn up at your home where you live with your family. Who is responsible for these checks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

This isn't a Politics thread but I'm at a loss as to where to move it.

Anyone got any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Consumer affairs or legal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Consumer affairs often deals with debt collection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

I will rephrase the original posters question:

"Hi folks, unfortunately I bought some stuff that I could not afford to pay for.
    Anyways, after missing some payments, these guys showed up at my house.
    I guess I should have read the small print when I signed up for the credit, because I didn't realise that they know where I live and will show up!
    I got a shock, I did!
    Anyways I was quite frightened by the manner in which the foreign national spoke to me and it got me to thinking. Maybe he has a criminal record? Maybe he is ex-military, anyways I am just looking for excuses to come back at the collections company. I am looking for a way to get out of this and maybe I could by showing them up as using criminals from other countries to do their dirty work? thoughts?"

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Mena wrote: »
    Consumer affairs or legal?
    mikemac wrote: »
    Consumer affairs often deals with debt collection

Thanks guys.

Thread moved from Politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Am I missing something, or why not check the background of Irish security guards too?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

Well, by definintion, a debt collector can't really be a nice guy. I think the gardai, customs, or another state body should be the only ones allowed to enter your home and sieze poperty, and that all seized items should be sold publicly online.

I know this cause all kinds of problems, but allowing anybody at all to operate a business of that nature isn't good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

I suppose they are checked out the same way as any Irish person is checked out. Whether that Irish person is one of the 3.9 million Irish born people in Ireland or one of the estimated 2.8million Irish born people living in other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Customs are the only people legally allowed into your home without a court order/warrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

As said above, they have no right to enter your home.

It can be a frightening experience when someone calls to your door and gets heavy-handed.

Regardless of the reason for non payment.

If you are unhappy with their presence, call the Gardai and have them removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

dublin daz wrote: »
    As said above, they have no right to enter your home.

It can be a frightening experience when someone calls to your door and gets heavy-handed.

Regardless of the reason for non payment.

If you are unhappy with their presence, call the Gardai and have them removed.

If they are security guards they have to be registered with the PSA if they call to the door ask for their ID. If they don't have it call the Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This is not a Consumer Issue - and I have no idea where to put it, so I'm closing it.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement