Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling after sickness

• 18-08-2011 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Today or even this evening is the first time in over three & a half weeks I feel somewhat normal. Coming out the other side of sinusitis & various other ailments. Was at good level on bike but Havnt been out in four weeks. What can I expect when I get back on the saddle?

Hopefully won't be too wrecked. Hav new pair of bibs to try out also.

Don't want to sound all freaky or anything but your health is everything. Bollox to the recession, we will eventually come out the other side of it....

Enjoy your bike & where ever it takes you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭superbad50

Today or even this evening is the first time in over three & a half weeks I feel somewhat normal. Coming out the other side of sinusitis & various other ailments. Was at good level on bike but Havnt been out in four weeks. What can I expect when I get back on the saddle?

Hopefully won't be too wrecked. Hav new pair of bibs to try out also.

Don't want to sound all freaky or anything but your health is everything. Bollox to the recession, we will eventually come out the other side of it....

Enjoy your bike & where ever it takes you

feel your pain. cycle regularly with this ailment. i am forever snotting coughing and panting for air . probably should not be training like this but cant seem to shift.

advice start off slow. keep well hydrated and listen to your body. if you have a heart rate monitor keep a close eye on your heart rate as this is a good indicator on the intensity your heart is pushing.

and of course you can expect lots of rain and more rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Sinusitus was the sole reason I couln't do the Orwell Randonee this year having looked forward to it since last year. Horrible, annoying ailment. Yup hydration (and a sachet of Dioralyte after every spin) and a good decongestant (I use Sudafed) works for me. It's a serious bloody nuisance though. I feel your pain mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I heard of a cyclist, who was banned for six months, because he took Sudafed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

I also suffer from sinusitis,generally I would use sudafed or sinutab, depending on the severity, with general congestion, I use sudafed, but when the forehead and cheek ache set in, I use sinutab, works for me. pseudoephidrene in both can increase your heart rate, but personally I've never noticed, The worsed part for me is having to blow out the nose whilst on the bike.....not nice when you are in a group. Personally, it doesn't really affect my performance,as it is in the head, but if I feel the congestion is froma cold rather than sinusitus, I would also take Exputex, to try and stave it from moviing onto my chest, thats when the performance is sapped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Take it nice and easy. You'll probably be surprised how knackered you might feel the first few times and that hill that wasn't a hill four weeks ago is now Aple D'huez!

I used to get a lot of sinusitis when I smoked but only maybe a hand full of times in the last 5 years since giving up. I've noticed a lot of peeps these days geting vertigo, that sounds pretty nasty too.

GWS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Junior

Normally three days after symptoms have cleared you should be back on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭get on your bike

Got vertigo first then the sinus thing & then something else. 5 antibiotics in total. Think the antibiotics nearly wreck you more than the ailment.

Advertisement