Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microwave doesn't work

Options
  • 18-08-2011 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

I recently moved into an apartment on my own. Now one of the things i'd always check in the kitchen of any apartment I'd view, is whether there's a microwave. There was one there when I viewed the apartment; I didn't ask any questions about it.

After I moved in, I discovered the microwave doesn't work. I let the landlord know straight away - however, he already knew it didn't work! He says he's not going to replace it, as he had not mentioned anything about a microwave in the Daft ad.

Where do I stand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Did you sign a lease agreement and is it listed in the inventory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

If the landlord won't replace it you should be able to pick up your own in Tesco for under €50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

On the one hand, it's only a microwave.. If I were you I'd just go out and buy one myself. Take it with you when you go. A microwave is not a minimum requirement for rental accommodation. Maybe it was left by a previous tenant.

On the other hand, maybe it wasn't left by a previous tenant, in which case your landlord is clearly a total tightwad, and this would be my main concern. Microwaves are not expensive. The fact that he knew it didn't work and didn't dispose of it is also a worry..

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

My microwave didn't work either. I put it in the cupboard and picked up a new one in Dunnes for 30 euros. It really is not a big deal and I can understand the landlord doesn't think so either.

I don't think you have a leg to stand on in this case unless a working microwave was explicitly stated in your contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I think that's crap. The microwave was clearly on show when he went to view the place which implies that it was working - why would anyone have a random broken microwave in their kitchen? I think the landlord's being a tight ass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Get another one, take it with you when you leave. Far less hassle than trying to get your landlord to replace the broken one. And now you know your landlord is probably going to be a wanker about anything else that needs fixing or replacing so you are forewarned before something else goes wrong, which can be useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

Kimia wrote: »
    I think that's crap. The microwave was clearly on show when he went to view the place which implies that it was working - why would anyone have a random broken microwave in their kitchen? I think the landlord's being a tight ass.

do you want the landlord to replace everything that breaks? If you or a friend broke a chair that was "on show" would you ring the landlord and ask him to fix it.
    Its time people stood up and took responsibility and stop looking for the easy way out.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

mrgaa1 wrote: »
    do you want the landlord to replace everything that breaks? If you or a friend broke a chair that was "on show" would you ring the landlord and ask him to fix it.
    Its time people stood up and took responsibility and stop looking for the easy way out.:mad:

Eh, the OP didn't break the microwave. It was there when they viewed the apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Bet it didn't mention a front door in the ad. Take that with you when you leave. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

Where do I stand?
    That depends on when the property was first rented.
    The regulations for properties first rented after 1 Feb 2009 do require the provision of a microwave.
    However if it had been rented before that date, then it doesn't have to comply until 2013.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 keisha30

I recently moved into an apartment on my own. Now one of the things i'd always check in the kitchen of any apartment I'd view, is whether there's a microwave. There was one there when I viewed the apartment; I didn't ask any questions about it.

After I moved in, I discovered the microwave doesn't work. I let the landlord know straight away - however, he already knew it didn't work! He says he's not going to replace it, as he had not mentioned anything about a microwave in the Daft ad.

Where do I stand?

Hiya
    I have exactly the same problem.
    moved into the apartment almost 2 weeks ago.
    I immediately noticed the microwave is not working.
    My landlord informed me that she is not going to buy a new microwave .
    And said that the oven works perfectly so there is no problem .
    If I want microwave I have to buy one myself .
    She added that the microwave is not her and has been left by previous tenants.
    In the Daft Ad was mentioned that the kitchen is fully equipment including microwave .
    In my lease agreement there is no inventory of the things that are in an apartment .
    I rented apartment from the agency .
    They put it on daft .
    My landlord says that she was not aware , that the agency says that the microwave is in the apartment.
    But that's not my fault, right?
    What can I do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

stop whining?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'd buy one and take it out of the rent and send them the reciept.

The LL should replace it if its broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mrgaa1 wrote: »
    stop whining?
    Keep it constructive please.

http://www.environ.ie/en/Legislation/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/FileDownLoad,19142,en.pdf
    Food Preparation and Storage and Laundry

8. (1) Notwithstanding Article 4, this Article shall not apply where the house is let by a housing authority under Section 56 of the Housing Act 1966 (as amended) or by a housing body approved under Section 6 of the Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1992.

(2) Subject to sub-article (1), there shall be provided, within the habitable area of the house*, for the exclusive use of the house:
    (a) 4 ring hob with oven and grill,
    (b) Suitable facilities for the effective and safe removal of fumes to the external air by means of a cooker hood or extractor fan,
    (c) Fridge and freezer or fridge-freezer,
    (d) Microwave oven,
    (e) Sink, with a piped supply of cold water taken direct from the service pipe supplying water from the public main or other source to the building containing the house and a facility for the piped supply of hot water, and an adequate draining area,
    (f) Suitable and adequate number of kitchen presses for food storage purposes,
    (g) Washing machine, or access to a communal washing machine facility within the curtilage of the building, and
    (h) Where the house does not contain a garden or yard for the exclusive use of that house, a dryer (vented or recirculation type).

(3) All facilities under sub-article (2) shall be maintained in good working order and good repair.

(4) Responsibility for maintenance of facilities under sub-article (2) shall rest with the landlord.

* “house” includes any building or part of a building used or suitable
    for use as a dwelling and any outoffice, yard, garden or other
    land appurtenant thereto or usually enjoyed therewith,

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bgo1

I think its a fair whine, the landlord is definetely being tight considering how cheap they are, if the landlord doesnt want it he/she should remove it if he/she knows its broken or else they are obviously wanting it kept for potential tennants to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 keisha30

thanks so much for help!:)

Advertisement