Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

H&M opening in Galway

Options
  • 18-08-2011 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

... in the Eyre Square Centre

I don't know how to link a specific post from Facebook, but it's the top one here:

http://www.facebook.com/ConnachtTribune

Great news for Galway. I know the begrudgers will moan about UK High Streets taking over the city, but it's a great shop, and if it means Galway will be more attractive as a hsopping destination, it's good news for all of us.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Please God let this be true!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

I know the begrudgers will moan about UK High Streets taking over the city, but it's a great shop, and if it means Galway will be more attractive as a hsopping destination, it's good news for all of us.

Swedish actually. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Really hope this happens, love H&M. It will be great for Galway, town is badly in need of a store like this.
    Just a waggamamma now and I'll be happy!;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

So are they building a big glass cube out onto the square or just redeveloping that entrance?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Never heard of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I really, really hope this actually happens. H&M is one of the few shops that I always find something I like in, and it's fairly cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭inkwell

:D Yes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Probably taking over a building beside it, redeveloping the entrance and taking most of the shops as you go into it with it. 20,000 Sq ft? Must be big.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Miss_F

Das Kitty wrote: »
    So are they building a big glass cube out onto the square or just redeveloping that entrance?

Developer Gerry Barrett – who owns the management rights to the passageways within the centre as well as a number of the retail units and the adjoining Edward Square – is seeking permission to completely demolish the ‘ramped’ entrance hallway leading from Eyre Square into the centre to make way for a 20,000 square foot retail unit.

The new development will be a ‘glass cube’ looking onto Kennedy Park, which will be anchored by a ‘big name’ brand.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/17581-row-brewing-over-glass-cube-shops-project

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

'Rrrrrrarrrr' said the celtic tiger....

Sounds cool though!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

So happy, sounds like it could take a while though:(

• Registered Users Posts: 28 alimegs

don't know if this is coincidence, I was in eyre square shopping centre last night and seen 2 seperate people with H&M bags, open already????

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Please God let this be true!!
    Fashion giant to provide boost for ailing retail sector
    August 18, 2011 - 7:00am
    Project to pave way for massive new development

BY ENDA CUNNINGHAM

The city’s ailing retail trade is set for a major boost, after plans to completely redevelop an entrance to the Eyre Square Shopping Centre – to make way for a 20,000 square foot store likely to be occupied by fashion giant H&M – were given the green light.

Prolific local developer Gerry Barrett had warned that unless the new store was approved, Galway would continue to lose shoppers to other cities.

And it also plays an important role in his plans for the redevelopment of Ceannt Station – it will offer easy access to a new roadway alongside his Meyrick Hotel which will be one of the entrances to the €800 million ‘New Galway’, which will create around 3,000 new jobs.

The approved plans involve the demolition of the ‘ramped’ entrance hallway to the centre from the Eyre Square entrance side, and create a glass ‘cube’ looking onto Kennedy Park.

It is known that the Swedish fashion retail giant H&M had previously been in talks with Mr Barrett about the development, which will create 20,000sqft of retail space.

The grant of permission came despite a series of objections.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/21081-fashion-giant-provide-boost-ailing-retail-sector

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭ktod

Oh please please please :) We travel over to the one in Athlone to get clothes for the family, would be SuperFab to have one in Galway!

Now all we need is an IKEA...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

alimegs wrote: »
    don't know if this is coincidence, I was in eyre square shopping centre last night and seen 2 seperate people with H&M bags, open already????

Dear God I hope so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

It's long overdue. We had to deal with the talk and promise of Zara moving in to where Taaffes used to be, and then the letdown when everything crashed.. I do lvoe H+M, but do hope they bring nice stuff; not all of the ladies h+m's do the younger person's stuff, only suity/dressy stuff..

Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭grainnereills

not 100% about another multinational store, but this will be ages away yet. there'll probably be objections. thats what happened to taffes, derek the taxi driver objected about 6 times, dragged on for years and then it all went belly up :( it'll be athlone for me for the forseeable.

ktod wrote: »
    Oh please please please :) We travel over to the one in Athlone to get clothes for the family, would be SuperFab to have one in Galway!

Now all we need is an IKEA...

According to people in this thread :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056355967&page=7

-there is no need for more shops in Galway.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

not 100% about another multinational store, but this will be ages away yet. there'll probably be objections. thats what happened to taffes,

Read Biko's post again.

This new is telling us that planning has been granted for this proposal which was first suggested a few (2???) years ago.

I'm more interested in the reference to the new road by the Merryck, and how the Eyre Square centre entrance will change this ...

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭grainnereills

JustMary wrote: »
    Read Biko's post again.

This new is telling us that planning has been granted for this proposal which was first suggested a few (2???) years ago.

I'm more interested in the reference to the new road by the Merryck, and how the Eyre Square centre entrance will change this ...

i have. this is permission from the council. this can be appeal to an bord pleanala. like all permissions. whoever objected to the original will now probably appeal it to the bord.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

i have. this is permission from the council. this can be appeal to an bord pleanala. like all permissions. whoever objected to the original will now probably appeal it to the bord.
    On a point of pedantry, not all planning permissions can be appealed to ABP. However, I'd imagine this one will be appealed right the way to Europe because of certain unwavering views of how the city center should appear and function.

It's just a shame that these people didn't expend the same energy and vigour in objecting to the more daft and crass fringe developments that are either empty or at a risk of creating the "doughnut effect" here which sucks the life out of the center of a town, like in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Miss_F wrote: »
    Developer Gerry Barrett – who owns the management rights to the passageways within the centre as well as a number of the retail units and the adjoining Edward Square – is seeking permission to completely demolish the ‘ramped’ entrance hallway leading from Eyre Square into the centre to make way for a 20,000 square foot retail unit.

The new development will be a ‘glass cube’ looking onto Kennedy Park, which will be anchored by a ‘big name’ brand.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/17581-row-brewing-over-glass-cube-shops-project
    so, if you want to get into the centre itsself (supervalue and that) do you need to go through the H+M that is replacing the current ramps onto eyre square? (EDIT: without needing to go round the back or entering via shop street obviously)

im confused!

heres the current front of the centre which is to go http://maps.google.de/maps?q=galway&ll=53.27374,-9.049215&spn=0.000006,0.013937&gl=de&t=h&z=17&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=53.273681,-9.049124&panoid=1kic4p0A8Ww6I2JGj_OnyQ&cbp=12,243.58,,0,0.1

so, if you want to get into the centre itsself (supervalue and that) do you need to go through the H+M that is replacing the current ramps onto eyre square?

Yes, look at this :

http://www.galwaynews.ie/21081-fashion-giant-provide-boost-ailing-retail-sector

-and very good, this shopping center is old-fashioned and need a little remake I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

so, if you want to get into the centre itsself (supervalue and that) do you need to go through the H+M that is replacing the current ramps onto eyre square? (EDIT: without needing to go round the back or entering via shop street obviously)

im confused!

heres the current front of the centre which is to go http://maps.google.de/maps?q=galway&ll=53.27374,-9.049215&spn=0.000006,0.013937&gl=de&t=h&z=17&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=53.273681,-9.049124&panoid=1kic4p0A8Ww6I2JGj_OnyQ&cbp=12,243.58,,0,0.1
    Jees you must not have been in the centre in ten years ;)

im confused!

Supervalue is long gone.

I had a look at the planning application on galwaycity.ie (#10123) and there will still be a walkway through the ground floor of the new building to get into the center.

They are going to totally demolish the current building and the new building will have a basement, ground floor with entrances to both Eyre Square and the shopping center and two floors above that.

The only part I don't like is the way they are going to build right up to the former bank building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

This makes me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

:D I am far from beeing a shopping addict or going to the shops just for fun (have more interesting things to do), but Galway really needs few more decent shops with big choice and affordable prices and yes I know H&M is one of those big chain shops which are earning huge money on producing clothes in poor countires -paying people nothing for hard work and selling them in Europe for much bigger money then they're worth -but still, sorry I like it, because I cant afford "eco shopping"... or local expensive boutiques and I like to find all I need in one shop, because I hate wasting time on looking for a one jacket or pants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Can't find it online but came across this in the Galway Independent

2nrn22g.jpg

• Advertisement

Nooooooooooooo! :( :pac:

Advertisement