Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Itil foundation course

Options
  • 18-08-2011 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Keep hearing a lot about this from different colleagues, is it worth doing (Working as a contractor so would have to pay for it myself) ;-) Any one done it in Dublin, recommend where etc?Thanks...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Hi,

I've completed the course. I'm working as a Project Manager and found it very worthwhile for my job.

However it is just a Foundation level, and there are more training courses after that to gain a deeper understanding of the Service Management area.

I suppose you could complete the Foundation Certificate and take it from there. Sureskills run training courses in this area, I've completed my training there and have found them to be very good.

Boobar

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It's very high level as Boobar said, the syllabus even states that it is intended to be so and not intended to equip people to implement or manage ITIL related work.

It's useful both in terms of understanding how your own company work in terms of IT and on your c.v. as a certification, especially if you are applying to a company who have adopted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I did the ITIL V3 Foundation course in BT Training Solutions (via Sure Skills) but coming from a technical background I didn't find the course interesting or useful at all. IMO it is just aload of useless buzzwords and hyperpole that basically gives license to non technical management/consultants to over complicate IT departments with unnecessary bureaucracy.

In saying that, lots of companies have adopted this framework and it does seem popular so for that reason alone it would be good to have on your CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Hi, just wondering about this course, would it be wise to have a technical/IT/Computer Science background to do this course or is it BIS/Information Systems Management/MIS related?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

doovdela wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering about this course, would it be wise to have a technical/IT/Computer Science background to do this course or is it BIS/Information Systems Management/MIS related?

It's more option B but you don't "need" either background to do the course.

ITIL originated in the UK Civil Service IT departments and was adopted by many large organisations. Put very simply, it's an organisational/bureaucratic way of managing helpdesks/service desks.

If you ever wondered why you're not allowed anymore to ask your friend from the IT dept to come over and fix a problem on your computer but must instead contact a helpdesk in India who will in turn route the problem back to him, well, ITIL is your answer!

But it does make sense for bigger companies to organise their helpdesks with ITIL and most do, so if you understand the ITIL way then it's easy to move between companies.

Most people who do the Foundation course would work in helpdesk/service management, there are also advanced courses aimed at higher level managers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement