Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unlocking phones

Options
  • 18-08-2011 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

How do people unlock phones so that they can be used on any network? Do they have equipment for it? or do they just go on the internet and get codes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Bob Z wrote: »
    How do people unlock phones so that they can be used on any network? Do they have equipment for it? or do they just go on the internet and get codes?
    Go on adverts.ie and get a turbo sim, they cost about 10 euro. They work on most phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Go on adverts.ie and get a turbo sim, they cost about 10 euro. They work on most phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭jaybe1

I know if your with vodafone you can sign up to my vodafone on their website and unlock 3 phones for free. Otherwise some gadget shops or electronic repair shops usually can do them for 10-20€.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

The most typical way people unlock phones is by sending the IMEI of the device to a reputable vendor who can supply the correct specific code which is unique and matched to the IMEI of that particular handset.

Some phones can also be unlocked be connecting the phone to specific software.

The cost depends on the handset. For example older nokias (e.g. 6230i) can be unlocked using a DTC4 calculator which are available free online.

Newer phones however you will have to obtain the services of a phone shop, website or network operator.

From personal experience some "phoneshops" are simply rip off merchants. I was quoted 65euro in the last week for an unlock code for a Nokia E5 which was locked to Three UK. I did some investigating myself and managed to get it unlocked for £25 via the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭seanie69r

jaybe1 wrote: »
    I know if your with vodafone you can sign up to my vodafone on their website and unlock 3 phones for free. Otherwise some gadget shops or electronic repair shops usually can do them for 10-20€.

Unlock to ANY network!???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 taxidriver22

Is Nokia 6500-s a new type phone or old type.

It is currently locked to 3 network and yes the wrong unlock code has been entered more than 5 times and so is most likely hard locked. Can I get the necessary SW online to unlock this or is it a shop job ? Was given the phone about two years ago by a friend from abroad who was studying in Ireland and has since returned home.

Any help advise would be much appreciated

Advertisement