Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5% of LC students received an "A" at HL ART...thoughts please

• 18-08-2011 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

as a Leaving Cert student of 2011 myself, i would like to know how others feel about their results in HL art this year? it is one of the subjects that has the lowest "A" rate of all the subjects for LC, and i think its crazy! however i know that it is a subject that can have opposite effects for many students, as some will be excellent at practical work and others will only be able to write top notch history essays! possibly it's hard for students to be really good at both in order to achieve an A. in the Times yesterday i saw that only 5% of those taking HL art for the LC achieved an A grade and more interestingly only 1% of those or possibly "0.something" (i will have to check again) got an A1!!! tell me what did you all get and what do you think about art for the LC?? for me, i got an A2, i was happy out :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

sligo. wrote: »
    as a Leaving Cert student of 2011 myself, i would like to know how others feel about their results in HL art this year? it is one of the subjects that has the lowest "A" rate of all the subjects for LC, and i think its crazy! however i know that it is a subject that can have opposite effects for many students, as some will be excellent at practical work and others will only be able to write top notch history essays! possibly it's hard for students to be really good at both in order to achieve an A. in the Times yesterday i saw that only 5% of those taking HL art for the LC achieved an A grade and more interestingly only 1% of those or possibly "0.something" (i will have to check again) got an A1!!! tell me what did you all get and what do you think about art for the LC?? for me, i got an A2, i was happy out :D

I got an A2 aswell despite a disastrous art history paper!! I love art and I've always been good at it:) I think most people fall at the life sketching though, me included, because it can just go so horribly wrong in the 30 min/15 min time space you are given!! Looking forward to seeing what I got on the life sketching actually.. also looking forward to seeing my art history paper because my sketches were awful,don't even think i coloured them!! My art teacher will laugh! I think alot of people think that art is an easy LC subject but it really isnt. It's definitely more relaxed than other subjects but I think that month we got to plan our project was very stressful, i left my project to the last minute to plan:P But i'm very happy with my result:) realllly needed that A:D:D

oh and well done with your A:D great result!!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sligo.

smeal wrote: »
    I got an A2 aswell despite a disastrous art history paper!! I love art and I've always been good at it:) I think most people fall at the life sketching though, me included, because it can just go so horribly wrong in the 30 min/15 min time space you are given!! Looking forward to seeing what I got on the life sketching actually.. also looking forward to seeing my art history paper because my sketches were awful,don't even think i coloured them!! My art teacher will laugh! I think alot of people think that art is an easy LC subject but it really isnt. It's definitely more relaxed than other subjects but I think that month we got to plan our project was very stressful, i left my project to the last minute to plan:P But i'm very happy with my result:) realllly needed that A:D:D

well done to you also and thank you! :D yes, bits of that art history paper was a bummer alright! and i too had some uncoloured sketches :p i think there should be a little bit more time on the written paper, 20 minutes at least, so that students can do better and more finished sketches aswell as having completed written essays! i was flat out writing/drawing for that exam, barely looked around me once. i agree about the life sketching, its too short of a time frame to expect students to do decent drawings. most students (i think) would prefer to spend more time and do a fully rendered life sketch instead of a crappy half hour :confused: so you are getting yours rechecked then? :) yeah, May was so busy preparing for the art exams!! i was crazy busy all year :rolleyes: what course and college do you hope to do/go for?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭amortentia

My best friend got an A1. I'm so proud of him :) It's his favourite subject though and he's going to NCAD. I did art for the junior cert and it was disastrous even though I like drawing and painting in my free time, so I decided not to keep it on.

well done to you also and thank you! :D yes, bits of that art history paper was a bummer alright! and i too had some uncoloured sketches :p i think there should be a little bit more time on the written paper, 20 minutes at least, so that students can do better and more finished sketches aswell as having completed written essays! i was flat out writing/drawing for that exam, barely looked around me once. i agree about the life sketching, its too short of a time frame to expect students to do decent drawings. most students (i think) would prefer to spend more time and do a fully rendered life sketch instead of a crappy half hour :confused: so you are getting yours rechecked then? :) yeah, May was so busy preparing for the art exams!! i was crazy busy all year :rolleyes: what course and college do you hope to do/go for?? :D

Agggh the sitting pose was horrible now that I remember!! Which project did you do? I did the Irish Building thing because most people in my class were doing the Theatre one and it was hard to get original ideas! The project took up the entire last week of Easter holidays when I could have been putting work into other subjects but sure Im happy enough with it now:D Nope I'm not going to get it rechecked because an A2 is what my teacher predicted for me and I'm really happy I got it, I'd also be afraid of the mark coming down or something haha! are you?:D I wanna do law in UCD but i was 15 points short for it so I'm hoping maybe it comes down but if not I should get DCU and i love DCU:D my UCAS is acting up at the minute so I'm not sure if I'll get belfast! how about you?:D

• Advertisement

amortentia wrote: »
    My best friend got an A1. I'm so proud of him :) It's his favourite subject though and he's going to NCAD. I did art for the junior cert and it was disastrous even though I like drawing and painting in my free time, so I decided not to keep it on.

brilliant, fair play him :) would love to know how many percent off the A1 i was! i too am going to NCAD this year haha, snap :p will see him up there in September, whoever he is :D

brilliant, fair play him :) would love to know how many percent off the A1 i was! i too am going to NCAD this year haha, snap :p will see him up there in September, whoever he is :D

Will you view your script to check? I'd be dying to know with a subject with such a ridiculously small A1 rate! Aw congratulations! I know about 5 or 6 people going this year and a good few there already, it's meant to be brilliant. Such a unique college experience. I hope you enjoy it!

Agggh the sitting pose was horrible now that I remember!! Which project did you do? I did the Irish Building thing because most people in my class were doing the Theatre one and it was hard to get original ideas! The project took up the entire last week of Easter holidays when I could have been putting work into other subjects but sure Im happy enough with it now:D Nope I'm not going to get it rechecked because an A2 is what my teacher predicted for me and I'm really happy I got it, I'd also be afraid of the mark coming down or something haha! are you?:D I wanna do law in UCD but i was 15 points short for it so I'm hoping maybe it comes down but if not I should get DCU and i love DCU:D my UCAS is acting up at the minute so I'm not sure if I'll get belfast! how about you?:D

i did the contemporary glass exhibition because when everyone saw "glass" they said noooooo, so i wanted to do it and be original aswel ha :) yeah the rest in my class did Theatre aswel! i know i didn't study during Easter with it either :rolleyes: no i wont bother getting it rechecked as i have all my grades in the bag for college so i'm happy! hard luck, you were so close but you might get it this year however!! you will be going to Dublin one way or the other then, i will be going to Dublin too....wooo :D oh Queens is it? i'm heading to NCAD and i canno wait, going to keep up the art long term haha :) dont you give it up as a hobby now if you are that good, you hear?! :p

Will you view your script to check? I'd be dying to know with a subject with such a ridiculously small A1 rate! Aw congratulations! I know about 5 or 6 people going this year and a good few there already, it's meant to be brilliant. Such a unique college experience. I hope you enjoy it!

i know, the A1 rate is crazy small! at the back of my mind i'm telling myself to recheck it for the craic as i would love an A1, even though i'm absolutely over the moon with an A2 don't get me wrong :) i'm not worried anyhow as i have all my grade requirements which is the main thing. oh wow, i wish i knew that many going, i don't know a single person :P it's such a lovely college, i cannot wait to get going there. thank you so much :D

i did the contemporary glass exhibition because when everyone saw "glass" they said noooooo, so i wanted to do it and be original aswel ha :) yeah the rest in my class did Theatre aswel! i know i didn't study during Easter with it either :rolleyes: no i wont bother getting it rechecked as i have all my grades in the bag for college so i'm happy! hard luck, you were so close but you might get it this year however!! you will be going to Dublin one way or the other then, i will be going to Dublin too....wooo :D oh Queens is it? i'm heading to NCAD and i canno wait, going to keep up the art long term haha :) dont you give it up as a hobby now if you are that good, you hear?! :p

wow you must have done a brilliant portfolio for that!! well done!! I know a few people last year who were fantastic at art but had to settle for Dun Laoighre (cant spell) for a portfolio course before NCAD entry! But thats brilliant!! Nope it was Jordanstown for pure law and then Queens for international relations! haha well my dad is a graphic designer so theres usually something arty floating around our house all the time:P

• Advertisement

i know, the A1 rate is crazy small! at the back of my mind i'm telling myself to recheck it for the craic as i would love an A1, even though i'm absolutely over the moon with an A2 don't get me wrong :) i'm not worried anyhow as i have all my grade requirements which is the main thing. oh wow, i wish i knew that many going, i don't know a single person :P it's such a lovely college, i cannot wait to get going there. thank you so much :D

An A2 is brilliant, I can't imagine getting that in art, you did great either way, a few marks here and there don't make that much difference :) Don't worry, if the rest of the people are anything like my friends you won't have a problem meeting nice people heh! It's in a great location too. All the best :)

wow you must have done a brilliant portfolio for that!! well done!! I know a few people last year who were fantastic at art but had to settle for Dun Laoighre (cant spell) for a portfolio course before NCAD entry! But thats brilliant!! Nope it was Jordanstown for pure law and then Queens for international relations! haha well my dad is a graphic designer so theres usually something arty floating around our house all the time:P

i had a tough year all round! :eek: i started my portfolio this time last year and handed it in in February (did no study up until then at all) meanwhile i completed my TG (DCG) project, then had orals, and art exams....so my studying consisted of the week before the exams which thankfully worked out fine haha :) it was hard work to complete the portfolio on my own, i didn't go to classes or have any of those portfolio helping people ha :p i'm so glad and relieved that this year has all worked out for me!! oh very good, you've applied to both colleges :) you will surely be offered something that suits you down to the ground! oh brilliant, you come from an arty background indeed then :D

An A2 is brilliant, I can't imagine getting that in art, you did great either way, a few marks here and there don't make that much difference :) Don't worry, if the rest of the people are anything like my friends you won't have a problem meeting nice people heh! It's in a great location too. All the best :)

it is, i was very happy to have gotten it :) thats reassuring and nice to hear, i should have no bother making friends up there then :p thanks again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

My friend got an A1 and tbh I don't think she deserved it, she got really low points in her portfolio from all colleges, I think she even failed a few. She's not that great at art (not that I am great at art, never did it). I think art is really subjective and it depends completely on the examiner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Deirds

I got an A2 too, was really pleased with it, especially after the art history paper. Seriously was it just me or was that exam nothing like other years? But anyway was really happy. Apparently no one in my school got an A1 in art if that helps? Anyone hoping to go to Limerick (LSAD) this year? Waiting for Monday and it's taking forever :(

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Meller

Got a B1, was absolutely devastated. :( I lost the marks in History- the paper was so different to other years and couldn't do the mixed questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭polkabunny

I got a B1 when I was only expecting a B3, happy out! :D
    But one of my friends got an A1, I think it's just luck of the draw with examiners and how you are on the days of the exams. Even though I hated the history section, I still loved the practical side! Did anybody do craftwork too? :)
    The history paper was just baffling to me, the Irish section just put me off completely! I knew just enough to waffle through it, but if I hadn't... Whew!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭LedZeppelin

I got an A1 in art, which I was thrilled with as its my best subject. However in my Mock exams I only got a C2 which was just for the paper and the object drawing.

I think the fact that the practical work is worth more for the real thing really helped with my grade.. as well as cramming in the history bit. :P

Deirds wrote: »
    I got an A2 too, was really pleased with it, especially after the art history paper. Seriously was it just me or was that exam nothing like other years? But anyway was really happy. Apparently no one in my school got an A1 in art if that helps? Anyone hoping to go to Limerick (LSAD) this year? Waiting for Monday and it's taking forever :(

i applied there :) but i'm not going there, it was my 2nd on the list. i got 898 points in total for it and was so shocked to see that it nearly dropped a full 110 points on last year?! from 850 to 740!! so a lot of people will be well happy with that. i'm sure you got it? :) best of luck with Limerick! i'm hitting Dublin :D

i applied there :) but i'm not going there, it was my 2nd on the list. i got 898 points in total for it and was so shocked to see that it nearly dropped a full 110 points on last year?! from 850 to 740!! so a lot of people will be well happy with that. i'm sure you got it? :) best of luck with Limerick! i'm hitting Dublin :D

You got 10 more points than me for it! Was your first choice NCAD or DIT? I had Crawford in Cork down as no.2, I wasn't able to handle the NCAD portfolio because I started working on it in November! I know I was seriously confused with the points, I mean it's gone up the last few years from 700, 785, 830...but I'm glad it went down for people though. Good luck to you too, can't wait to be surrounded with arty folk :D

• Advertisement

You got 10 more points than me for it! Was your first choice NCAD or DIT? I had Crawford in Cork down as no.2, I wasn't able to handle the NCAD portfolio because I started working on it in November! I know I was seriously confused with the points, I mean it's gone up the last few years from 700, 785, 830...but I'm glad it went down for people though. Good luck to you too, can't wait to be surrounded with arty folk :D

NCAD was my first choice and i got it so i'm delighted!! :D i didn't apply to Crawford. Limerick looked lovely so i would have been happy to go there if i didn't get Dublin :) i know, the brief was a bit of a handful all year, but thankfully i got through it and came out the other side :p i know i'm the same, can't wait to go to art college, woooooo!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cookier

I got an A1 which I was delighted with but wasnt expecting it! There were 2 As in my class and a lot of Bs so the results were better than previous years in my school. I'm going to LSAD too, can't wait :)

cookier wrote: »
    I got an A1 which I was delighted with but wasnt expecting it! There were 2 As in my class and a lot of Bs so the results were better than previous years in my school. I'm going to LSAD too, can't wait :)

That's brilliant well done :D I'm actually counting down the days until we start! Still waiting on my registration stuff though some people got their's on Wednesday it seems? Hopefully it'll be waiting in my post box tomorrow morning :)

That's brilliant well done :D I'm actually counting down the days until we start! Still waiting on my registration stuff though some people got their's on Wednesday it seems? Hopefully it'll be waiting in my post box tomorrow morning :)

when do LSAD start? :) i'm waiting on my registration stuff too for Dublin, and i hate this waiting :p cause my friend going to UL got all his stuff in the post yesterday!!

when do LSAD start? :) i'm waiting on my registration stuff too for Dublin, and i hate this waiting :p cause my friend going to UL got all his stuff in the post yesterday!!

I think registration is on the 9th and we start on the 12th? But i'm not completely sure because I'm still waiting, I'll let you know when I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cookier

Thanks! Ya I still havent gotten registration stuff yet.. was wondering about it today because on the LSAD SU fb page it looks like a lot of people have gotten it so hopefully it will come tomorrow! So excited to start :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 FiB3

I dont think it matters either way, ive been accepted to ncad and i havent even sat the art leaving cert yet

Advertisement