Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog doesn't bark.

• 18-08-2011 10:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking after a 7 month golden retriever at the moment.

He's gorgeous and friendly, we've been walking 3 miles+ every day and while he's still wary of cars he's really very good on the road.

I've noticed though, he just does not bark! I've never heard him bark, even when we are approached by off-lead dogs who are barking mad he never responds.

Is this normal? Has anyone else ever had experience of this?

As I say, on the whole he's a happy, handsome dog. Chews everything but assuming that's because he's still very young, just hasn't found his voice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Some dogs just don't bark. Mine doesn't. We get a shock when she does. Though she does often make funny noises like a dolphin when she's trying to attract attention. In fact she barks more while sleeping than while awake.

It's not something to be worried about, obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

I have a 6mt old lab, and have not heard her bark yet. She just has'nt realised yet she can bark I think. Something new she has to learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Thanks guys, glad I'm not the only one to have come across this :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I also have a cat that doesnt "mieow" :p Honestly, i get a little "squeak" every now and then but thats it. Perfectly happy cat though....

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Kingpin187

lol dont worry Im sure he will find his voice

Our young Staffy is the same.. shes 8 months old, had her for 2 months.. she never barked for at least a month, but now that shes found her voice she will use it! mostly at night when we are in bed and she hears a noise outside... oh and when the hoover is on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Its an imposter !!

I have to say I find it hilarious a dog that doesn't bark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Plenum

Better no barking than too much....wouldnt worry about it...he will bark when he wants to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

It's a positive thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

One of my dogs didin't bark for about 6 months after we got him, now we can't shut him up! Enjoy it while you can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

My 8 month old lab doesn't bark, but that's how we've trained her (as the neighbor were getting annoyed). Did you just get the dog (perhaps it was trained not to bark)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ryan84

my cousin has a golden retriever too. he very rarely barks unless something is really bothering him.
    also my cat doesn't meow. found him as a kitten he meowed and cried for two days straight before we managed to catch him and as soon as i picked him up not a peep! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

My 2 bark at each other when playing in the house :D and if someone come to the door but neither of them bark in the garden as they know they are bought in if they do. My neighbours don't need to put up with my dogs being a nuisance and a couple have young babies so was more aware of it so made an effort to make sure they learnt quite young. Perhaps yours has been taught a time and place too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I find gun dogs dont bark that much - i'd say years ago they were bred specifically not to bark thus not scaring game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

He's my brother's dog. They've had him since he was 3/4 months. He hasn't been trained not to bark to the best of my knowledge. He basically spends his time in their big back garden hanging out with a 5 and 7 year old :) and trekking the roads with his Aunty (me :p).

Maybe there's something in that gun-dog theory. Maybe he has been bred not to make too much noise.

He's such a huge sweetie though. So friendly and a great companion :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

My lab didnt bark until she was 1.5 - 2 years old, even now she doesnt bark that often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

It was a year before my RR let her first bark out.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

My golden Harvey has barked roughly 5 times in the 3 years that I've had him!

Advertisement