Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options for my brother who didn't complete LC?

Options
  • 18-08-2011 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Long story short, during a particular tough family period, my brother dropped out of school during 5th year. Roll on three years later, and he wants to sit the Leaving Cert, or do a FETAC level 4/5 course that will allow him to go to college and study in the area of media/broadcasting.

My brother is 20 years old and we live in on the north side of Dublin city, and I was wondering where could he repeat the Leaving Cert, or where he could do some FETAC course to allow him to enter college?

Thanks a million for all replies in advance -it is truly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

Hi if he wants to do the LC then examinations.ie has al the info you need, also if hes 3 months unemployed and he goes back to school full time he can get the BTEA.

A lot of colleges have access courses that he may qualify to do and theres also courses he can do part time at night.

If opting for college rather than the leaving cert you best bet would be to call the access office of the college hes interested in attending they'll have all the information you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭dublin daz

Given that your brother is only 20 the leaving cert may be a good option. He may also look at FETAC courses.

To be considered for entry on the grounds of mature years he needs to be 23 on or by 1st January on the year of entry.

Some colleges accept 21 on 1st January, but for university its 23.

The Access course in UCD is brilliant, and anyone here who has done the course will say the same.

He would have to be 22 to enrol on that course.

Trinity College also offer great courses. Have a look at their site too.

Not doing the leaving cert is by no means the end of the world, your brother has plenty of options.

Best of luck, and if you need help with the various courses just ask here. Plenty of people here willing to offer advice and help!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cairdre

Not sure where you are on the northside but have a look at websites for plunket college in Whitehall, Colaiste Dhulaigh and Colaiste Ide. As he is only 20 he should seriously consider doing the LC it will give him the most options in the long run. 2 yrs lc plus 3 yr degree will still only leave him 25. By then our economy may have improved and their will be jobs here.

All the best

Advertisement