Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much drink is to much

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

Who wants to be sober anyway

Up until a week ago I drank every day for almost a month but ran out of funds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

GY A1 wrote: »
    been havin a few beers every nite for the last 2 or 3 weeks, more than a few some nites :D

Just carry on the way ye going .....

By the time it's too late? Ye'll recognise that ~ in hind sight .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Not sure who said it, but I've always like this one - "If you can lie on the floor without holding on, you're sober enough".

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Mammanabammana

Anything that causes a problem IS a problem.

If you're wondering if you're drinking too much OP, that means you probably are. People who aren't drinking too much never wonder if they are drinking too much. Simples. Ask yourself honestly if you're living a life, while drinking as much as you are, that's as good as (I don't mean the same as, but as good as) the life you'd be living if you weren't drinking. If you're not, then your drinking is becoming problematic. So what I suggest you do is cut back to one or two nights a week drinking, get out with friends to a cinema or for a bite to eat or to a coffee shop, or even just find out if you can enjoy your own company at home with the TV or at the computer, reading a book, whatever, without drinking. If you can do that and enjoy yourself without drinking, then your drinking is probably under control and you're ok.

If, however, you can't do these things without wanting to drink, or without incorporating a visit to the pub into things, or without having a few drinks in the fridge to look forward to when you get home, then you might need to have a more serious look at your drinking patterns and take yourself in hand, if you can, before it's too late. There seems to be a tendency to use the phrase "problem drinker" as interchangable with "alcoholic". Personally I don't believe they're the same thing. It's my experience that most people, for one reason or another, go through a phase where they are problem drinkers, ie they drink too much. And most of those people finish that phase, get through whatever it is that caused that level of drinking, and normal service is resumed. But there's always the few that don't, for whom there is no way back. Drinking at home, drinking alone, drinking every day, drinking to excess on a regular basis without any real reason to do so - these would generally be accepted as warning signs that things aren't really as they should be.

So my suggestion would be to sit down and look seriously and honestly at your drinking OP, look at the effect it's having on your life and those around you, perhaps ask your closer friends, the ones that are good enough friends to say the tough stuff when it needs to be said, if they see any changes in your behaviour - are you withdrawn, more isolated, perhaps your general mood has changed; often others can see things about us that we can't see ourselves. Only you can know honestly if it's too much and what needs to be done. Hopefully it'll all work out for you just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I love drink, but I can only have one, two at the most...three I'm under the table, Four I'm under the host.

I've been about 3/4 times a week for the past few months, getting completely hammered each time, I think I am nearing too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭overshoot

thought id give a more serious reply than last time,
    sometimes theres nothing better than a cold beer, nothing much wrong with having a few after a long day, especially if its stressfull or just heading out for a chat but if ya feel ya need that beer and cant do without maybe go off the stuff for a bit.

ps its 21 units for a week, someone said before its 21 drinks. a shot is 1 unit, a pint is 2 units. all i say is i hope my liver can take a weeks supply and a bit in a night

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

There's a "too much drink" these days? When did this happen? You'd think twould have been on the news.....

In the words of Father Ted:

"More drink!!" "Wahey!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I love drink, but I can only have one, two at the most...three I'm under the table, Four I'm under the host.

I've been about 3/4 times a week for the past few months, getting completely hammered each time, I think I am nearing too much.

Your liver probably has more holes than a block of cartoon cheddar cheese! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Personally, I think if you have a habit of getting shitfaced once every weekend then you're drinking too much. I just don't understand why people would want to waste their money doing that every weekend - it's senseless.

The last drink I had was a small glass of diluted whiskey two weeks ago.

Before that I hadn't consumed one ounce of alcohol in about 4 months.

The most I've ever drank was about two years ago when I drank 5 pints of Bulmers, 5 shots of vodka, 1 pint of Guinness and 1 naggin of Jack Daniels. Never again, I couldn't remember a thing and I was covered in vomit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ~Becktron

Last Friday night, I had 2 naggins before we went out and 1 bottle of wine and then the same after, dunno about the club, I didnt count, but I was grand after. I know its too much, but it didnt leave me in a ditch anywhere or unable to remember anything, no vomiting or passing out. Had a brilliant night, I think its too much when you wake up somewhere and no idea where you are, covered in your own sick. On your own, if your with friends its grand, because it was probably somebody elses brilliant idea at the time and everyone followed. Good aul friends. What would you do..

Oh and while your young and all that, if your always like "I need a drink" and your absolutely GASPING for one, then you should lay off for awhile. Or altogether, and if theres family history of alcoholism. Or any major addictions

ITS THE WEEKEND! WOOOO!

Find the drink that agrees with you, some people I know drink Vodka and know they shouldn't, but still continue to drink it and always get violent with some poor soul after or during nights out. Switch drinks if thats the case I think too.

Tequila anyone? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

Woke up Sunday morning, in a police cell with no idea how i got there. Would not have been as bad in Ireland, but I live abroad, which is what was so frightening. Not enough to make me stop though, just one bad experience (among many others)...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Pissing the bed is too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

When you wake up with mud on your feet and blood on your balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Black puke the following day. Though vomitting blood halfway through the night is a probably a pretty bad sign as well I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

how much drink is too much?

If you're out drinking and ordering a pint every 10 to 15 minutes, then you collapse and die, you should probably slow down the frequency of ordering to every 20 to 25 minutes after that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

waking up walking into another bedroom and pissing on the wall thinking it's the bathroom,i'm sure everyone has done it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭k4kate

realies wrote: »

Lot of people posting humerous answers but it is a serious issue.

Thanks realies for posting that. Been a bit of a shocker for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

When you get the 'staggers' it's time to stop. Just lie down in the street and wait for the cops or a good samaritan to bring you home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

I varies from person to person and lifestyle to lifestyle.

Personally I think it's time to cut back when you're sh1tting out your own liver?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

When your friends start making up ridiculous **** about what you did the previous night, stuff you'd never imagine yourself doing, and you're not sure if you did it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DanTheMan91

When you are staggering or when you find it hard to focus.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

A.A MEETINGS are great places to get an understanding of the whole drunk thing.You can dispose of the nonsense you've learned.I wish i'd gone there years previous.I would have a better brain now than i have.The bitta hard drive i have left is used with a card in the slot.I got offered a nice job and i knew well i would'nt be able to do it.Somethings never repair takes me ages to key a post sometimes ann i forget the fn thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

I was unemployed for a few months there and ended up drinking all day every day for a few months out of boredom and depression

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

I know a guy who was a hard hard drinker for years and had to give it up. The drink caused him so much grief. I mean he was always drunk. He is sober for a while now and I have never seen him so miserable. Borderline if he would be happier if he kept at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

paddyandy wrote: »
    A.A MEETINGS are great places to get an understanding of the whole drunk thing.You can dispose of the nonsense you've learned.I wish i'd gone there years previous.I would have a better brain now than i have.The bitta hard drive i have left is used with a card in the slot.I got offered a nice job and i knew well i would'nt be able to do it.Somethings never repair takes me ages to key a post sometimes ann i forget the fn thread.

AA is a cult.
    steps 5 6 and 7:
    5.Admitted to God, to ourselves and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
    6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
    7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

I'd rather be drunk than Christian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Personally, I think if you have a habit of getting shitfaced once every weekend then you're drinking too much. I just don't understand why people would want to waste their money doing that every weekend - it's senseless.

The last drink I had was a small glass of diluted whiskey two weeks ago.

Before that I hadn't consumed one ounce of alcohol in about 4 months.

The most I've ever drank was about two years ago when I drank 5 pints of Bulmers, 5 shots of vodka, 1 pint of Guinness and 1 naggin of Jack Daniels. Never again, I couldn't remember a thing and I was covered in vomit.

Lightweight!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Yeah Buddy

Plazaman wrote: »
    If you're out drinking and ordering a pint every 10 to 15 minutes, then you collapse and die, you should probably slow down the frequency of ordering to every 20 to 25 minutes after that.

Or just switch to naggins and then you won't have to worry about ordering at all :P

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

There are no tricks with alcohol.....no smart moves.Ive heard about everyone of them and tried a few myself.AA IS neither Christian or a Cult and a few dozen meetings will dissolve your preconceived notions.5 meetings if youre a good listener.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Feck the 12 steps man and crack open the 12 cans :cool:

Advertisement