Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxmantown Rd, stoneybatter

Options
  • 19-08-2011 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have read all the threads on this place but all discussing the area seem to be about 5 years old.

One simple question, is it a nice place to live ? looking at a house about half way down, and asked a couple living there and they say they love it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

I live there.

Its a nice, friendly place. Never any hassle. There are flats across the way but you never hear a peep from them except for them going up and down on their horses.

Close to town, right beside the Phoenix Park. You've got a Tesco's on Prussia st and two newsagents on Oxmantown Rd., Walshes for pints.

In short, a grand place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Ben Hadad

Not to mention Maureen down the road; the most charming women I have had a the pleasure to meet.
    Seriously though Java Bay does good food, the village has pretty much everything and it has the feel of a country village. In short a great place to live, my only gripe is the amount of dog **** around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dlaird

What's Ross Street like? Am considering renting place but not sure if car would be safe outside as have read some threads about car vandalism around there online...

Ross street would be one of the dodgiest area around there as it leads down to the flats. I used to live around the corner but this was over two years ago, so maybe things are different. But back then parking on Oxmantown road itself was fine, but I wouldn't park on Ross street myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dlaird

Thanks for the advice.
    Which roads would you consider to be the safest in the area in terms of parking your car? Am trying to find a place to rent in the area....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

I live just off Oxmantown Road, it's a fairly decent place to live, nice and quiet for the most part. As has been mentioned it's great for amenities, and its proximity to the city centre is nice too.

I think it's fairly safe for cars in general, even if the local kids have a tendency to scrape them with keys! Also, its horse**** central around here too.

As for Maureen.....

Basically streets near the flats are to be avoided. So say Ross street, Arklow street and Ashford street would have been risky. As a rule of thumb the nearer you are to Manor Street and Manor Place the safer. But Oxmantown road is a fairly busy street so should be fine in itself. As I have said my experience of living up there is two years old but I also lived further down the road on Oxmantown Road near the junction with Manor place and it was as safe as houses around there or at least I never saw anything anyway.

Ben Hadad wrote: »
    Basically streets near the flats are to be avoided. So say Ross street, Arklow street and Ashford street would have been risky. As a rule of thumb the nearer you are to Manor Street and Manor Place the safer. But Oxmantown road is a fairly busy street so should be fine in itself. As I have said my experience of living up there is two years old but I also lived further down the road on Oxmantown Road near the junction with Manor place and it was as safe as houses around there or at least I never saw anything anyway.

I'm living on Finn Street, which is closer to the flats than Arklow Street, and its been completely peaceful for the twelve months I've been here. It's actually far quieter than Oxmantown Road itself! The block of flats closest to the area has been boarded up recently too...

Great I don't know what I am talking about! They were doing some PPP bull**** when I was there but I presumed that died on its knees. But if they have closed up the flats then I can't see any reason why you can't park anywhere. I think I'll leave the advice to current residents, bon nuit!

One negative thing in relation to houses in the area is that the walls are pretty thin. We had noisy neighbours for the first 3-4 months we were here and we heard everything. Friends who live in manor place have complained of the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Em2011

Anyone got an opinion on McKee Park in Stoneybatter?? Any info appreciated!!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Info on McKee Park: It's not in Stoneybatter!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Em2011 wrote: »
    Anyone got an opinion on McKee Park in Stoneybatter?? Any info appreciated!!

Thanks

I wouldn't rent or buy there myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭BlackBlade

I lived there in the early 90's in number 4 and dont live a million miles away now but wouldnt go back to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭TankGuy

I lived on Manor Street for years and Ard Ri road for about a year, i loved living in both places. Maureen is a legend:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kynzvart

My grandparents use to live on Carnew Street, I am going back quite a long time now, about 50 years ago and it was a nice place, but looking on google maps the other night it now seems to be quite a dump, was quite shocked at what I saw. I would keep well clear of that area.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Ben Hadad wrote: »
    Not to mention Maureen down the road; the most charming women I have had a the pleasure to meet.
    As for Maureen.....

OK.... who?

(I used to live on Prussia Street and had no problems while there)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

OK.... who?

(I used to live on Prussia Street and had no problems while there)

Maureen runs a little shop on Manor Place. She's not the friendliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭TankGuy

I always found her lovely, you just need to get to know her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Maureen runs a little shop on Manor Place. She's not the friendliest.

What are you talking about?! She's a pussy cat :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,864 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Considering putting an offer on a house Oxmantown Road...should the area be avoided (its near the top not far from chipper)?
    Another house I am considering is on Sullivan Street..........would this be a quieter/safer area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

gmisk wrote: »
    Considering putting an offer on a house Oxmantown Road...should the area be avoided (its near the top not far from chipper)?
    Another house I am considering is on Sullivan Street..........would this be a quieter/safer area?

My sister lived on Aberdeen street and never had an issue. Its not far from Sullivan Street.
    I lived on Arklow Street(around the corner from the chipper) and still have family there.
    Since they blocked off the through way from the flats and closed the Off licence things seem to have improved in the area.

Sullivan Street is probably quieter as its not a main road. They are smaller houses though. But being next to the park is handy.
    Both have their pros and cons.

what numbers are you looking at so we can see inside on daft.ie :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

gmisk wrote: »

It's ok up there - a bit noiser up near the North Circular than down the Arbour Hill end of the road - but all in all it's fine.

There's a bunch of kids that hang around the chipper in the evenings a good bit but I've never seen them cause any trouble.

Advertisement