Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From moses basket to cot??

Options
  • 19-08-2011 4:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

My son is 8weeks and i am wondering when should they go into the cot? Do people usually do it when they are sleeping well at night?He is still in our room and sleeping from about 10.30pm untill 2am, then has a bottle and goes back asleep untill 7.30am. Also when do people usually put them in their own room? Or does that depend on how well they are sleeping too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We moved our son from the Moses basket into cot when his head and feet were touching top and bottom. We put the Moses basket into the cot for a few days and then put him in directly.

He's 7 months now and we're moving him to his own room next week. When you do it depends on each family. I think for SIDS it's recommended that baby sleeps in the same room as the mother until 6 months but if you have an angel monitor you could keep that plugged in at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Both mine were in their own room from at least 12 weeks, it was more a thing that my partner snored which woke the baby up, then the baby cried, which woke us up so for some sanity we moved them into their own room. I think it's a very personal choice when you move baby into their own room and some people aren't even ready to do this when the baby turns one.

They went into their cots from moses baskets when they went to their own rooms.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

1st one at 8 months because it was getting dangerous putting her in the basket! 2nd one at about 4 months because she was trying to break out!!
    There is no set rule,but it might not be a good idea to move them to their own room and cot at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

It's totally up to you and when you feel is right and it differs for everyone when that is!

We were advised to move her into her own room before she was old enough to be aware that she was being separated from us. ;) She was getting a bit big for the moses basket and hadn't much room to move around so it was a combination of a few things for us. She was about 4 and half months when she moved into her cot in her own room. Have to say we do have an angel monitor and it made me feel a lot better. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

We moved our little one to the cot when she just was getting too big for the moses basket, think it was about 8/10 weeks. She had very little room widthways in the basket we had so moved her to the cot then.

We moved her into her own room at 12 weeks. She'd been sleeping through the night from 10 weeks but was making so much noise in her sleep it was keeping me awake so she had to go :)
    We also had the Angelcare monitor and probably woudln't have moved her if we didn't have that - we still use that at night 8 months in but just have the volume turned down a good bit so that every little whimper doesn't wake us.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Ours is 7 months and we still use the Angelcare monitor too. Altho we don't bother with the receiver, just sleep with all doors open. We can still hear her cries and the beeps if no movement. Have to say now that she wriggles around more there's been a few nights when the alarm on monitor has gone off and I rush in to find her lying at very top of cot lengthways sound asleep!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

We put ours in a cot after the 6 week check up :o He snored...a lot :cool:

There's no set rule as far as I know...they kind of grow out of the moses basket too....so if you see them cocking their leg over the side you know it's definitely time to move :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Update; my son is being evicted from our room today after a horrendous nights sleep due to his messing around. He just didn't want to go back asleep and because he could see us he wanted to play.

So it's off into his own room with him and hopefully teething etc aside he won't be disturbed by us and we won't be kept awake all night by him.

Advertisement