Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

scapula anyone?

• 19-08-2011 8:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Anyone any experience of a broken scapula, and if so how long till you were back in the saddle? I was hit by a milk van yesterday and am awaiting surgery.

Milk van, ffs!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Sorry to hear that, hope you recover soon, personally, I have no experience of a broken shoulder blade, but your best bet is to ask the surgeon, people recover in different ways than others, so it's best to ask the professionals.
    No doubt you may need physiotherapy as part of your recovery, your physio may be able to guide you also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

Charter says.....

4. Medical Advice
    We appreciate the temptation to seek other peoples experiences for low level physical problems that present themselves. But no one here is in a position to physically assess and diagnose you. You risk greater harm than good. These threads will be locked.

Get well soon
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Charter says.....

But he is getting taken care of, so this is just asking for peoples experiences rather than advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Johnners1878

Milk van?!! It wasn't being driven by Fr Dougal at high speed by any chance??

Sounds nasy - hope the recovery is quick Beans....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    But he is getting taken care of, so this is just asking for peoples experiences rather than advice.

Not starting anything, did read post, completely agree.

Am more concerned that one person's "experience" of a scapular injury, and recovery from same, can be utterly different to another's. The scapula is not only your 'shoulder blade', it also acts in a joint with the 'collar bone' at the acromio-clavicular joint, and separately with the humerus at the gleno-humeral part of the shoulder joint. This level of function of the scapula means that prognosis for, and recovery from any injury can take an entirely different course depending on the location of the damage to the bone.

I wasn't being a smartass.

More importantly...... I wasn't driving the Milk Float!!!!!

["Is there anything to be said for another Mass Ted?? God I LOVE saying Mass"]

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Not seeking advice, just experience stories from other cyclists really. I'll be taking advice from the orthopaedic guys in here.

It's such a bummer, had just started upping my training hours for a 200k in October, and started swimming too... I guess ill be breaking out the trainer early this year :) first thought was 'did I trash the bike!?' Second thought was 'is that a milk van!?'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Milk van?!! It wasn't being driven by Fr Dougal at high speed by any chance??

Sounds more like Ernie to me

Here's to a speedy recovery, beans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

do they even still *have* milkvans? I haven't seen a milk delivery for about 20 years!
    Get well soon, are you getting it plated or leaving it to heal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Just spoken to a consultant, he reckons surgery in a few days after things settle. The main bit is sheered in 2, and bottom of the socket a bit fragmented. Plates and wire most likely.

This happened in London, the milk floats here have flat fronts like a bus, so I just bounced off. Undertaking a bus in the bike lane, van turning across the bus. Undertaking is something I rarely do, I knew there was a good reason for that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Calcium is usually good for bones;)

Get well soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement