Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caravan Clubs Worth It?

• 19-08-2011 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi there,

Just wondering if it is worth joining a caravan club like CC or CC&C if you are in Ireland?

We are hoping to travel to France next year for our holiday and the UK forums all recommend and reference the caravan clubs.

Any views appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hymer514

Im amember of the uk camping and caravanning club its definitely worth it costs about 45 sterling you get a good discount if you book your ferry through them you get a magazine once a month which is worth the fee alone and you get a book containing all the uk and irish sites listed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

hymer514 wrote: »
    Im amember of the uk camping and caravanning club its definitely worth it costs about 45 sterling you get a good discount if you book your ferry through them you get a magazine once a month which is worth the fee alone and you get a book containing all the uk and irish sites listed

What kind of discount do you call good,,and does it include travelling to France from Irl with irishferries do u know,thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

iccc.ie has 10% off Celtic Ferries and Irish Ferries. Some discount with Stena but unspecified. Some join just for discounts and never go to meets.

We're with the club for the last 2 years. Great if you have kids. Even if you dont, I think its still worth it. A good atmosphere in the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I contacted ICCC some time ago, by email, with a couple of questions and the reply I received was not very polite to say the least!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

When we were kids in the 70's/80's my parents were in the (UK) Caravan Club.. we used to go to weekend meet ups in Derbyshire ("rallies" was the word I think)..

Does that still happen... what about here in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 gerryt50

Joined Caravan Club 2yrs ago before going to Scotland. They have brillant sites with no charges for elec or showers. 2 adults and 2 kids are £20/£28 per night for members.
    They have over 200 sites in UK and 200 affilated sites in Europe which can be booked online through the club. They have an Irish division thecaravanclub.ie
    We hope to go to France in 2012 and if so will go through the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I'm a member of The CaravanClub.co.uk (Leinster division). The monthly magazine is a good read and worth the €45ish annual membership alone. I've used the club sites in the UK on several occasions which are great value for money.
    I have been to a few rallies and found members to be a friendly bunch with well organised events.

The ICCC.ie seems to be a good club also and recommended by quite a lot of folks.

I contacted ICCC some time ago, by email, with a couple of questions and the reply I received was not very polite to say the least!.

You might get a better reception on the forum. There is a bit of a 'blazer' element in the hierarchy, but 95% of ordinary members are sound out.

Post the questions on here and I might be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭denmar

If you joing the Irish division of ICCC does it give you the same Caravan club discounts to club sites in the UK as if you were a member of the UK club ?Am I right in my understanding that the ICCC is the irish version of "thecaravanclubuk" or is this a different group.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 gerryt50

No. The Caravan Club and the ICCC are different clubs. Being a member of The Caravan Club has same benefits in Ireland and UK apart from some ferry discounts. I have recieved discounts for stena through the club but at other times it has been cheaper to book direct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭denmar

Oh that's interesting. I like the caravan club sites so might be worth considering joining

• Registered Users Posts: 17 blokarter

Betsy Og wrote: »
    You might get a better reception on the forum. QUOTE]

Not too sure about that either. If they dont like your post they just delete it and fail to answer your questions (just delete them too) ..

I posted about a new motorhome fourm for ireland and they removed it. I thought I had posted it wrong and posted again asking if I had done something wrong. It was removed too....

Very strange way to deal with something.....

Betsy Og wrote: »
    You might get a better reception on the forum. There is a bit of a 'blazer' element in the hierarchy, but 95% of ordinary members are sound out.

Post the questions on here and I might be able to help.

I've only just seen this posting. When I sent them a polite email I received a reply with no salutation and just seven words " You could try the Irish Motorcaravanners Club". That way of responding to a question is certainly not what I would expect from anyone with any sort of manners.
    I do not see how the "lesser mortals" who are not at " the top table" could help. I'll stick to doing my own thing.

. I'll stick to doing my own thing

My plan too.. I have been trawling the net for irish motorhome info for some time now. Most are for selling or hiring of motorhomes and there is nothing wrong with that..

Most of the clubs seem to cater for people who want to go to rallies.

I always think that you could be beside someone on a site and get on great but not see them for months.

I did find this new site recently which seems to be more like what I am looking for http://www.motorhomecraic.com/

hope I am allowed to post a link on here.

I've only just seen this posting. When I sent them a polite email I received a reply with no salutation and just seven words " You could try the Irish Motorcaravanners Club". That way of responding to a question is certainly not what I would expect from anyone with any sort of manners.
    I do not see how the "lesser mortals" who are not at " the top table" could help. I'll stick to doing my own thing.

I think I may have been misunderstood here.
    The above was a reply to Betsy Og's posting which was a reply to my original posting (I hope you're following this!) not a comment about this site.
    When I mentioned doing my thing I was refering to wild camping and not becoming a member of any club.
    Sorry if this wasn't clear.

Hi Blokarter,
    I've just had a look at the site you mentioned, it looks o.k. but I like the layout on this site. Boards style looks more as though it's OUR site and not a business.

Just my view of course.:D

That doesn't mean that I wont sign up for the other site if a subject arises that I find of interest (but then again, I might raise the whole point here (no copyright).

Sorry.
    I fully understand. Maybe didnt explain myself..

We just go where we can, meet new people and have fun.

Most clubs seem to be too set in their ways for me.

My point was, if you meet up with others who are not in a club it can be hard to keep track of who and where they are.

I wasn't knocking this forum at all. I have only discovered it and think it is great.

The link in my previous post is one motorhome only site/ forum which isn't connected with any club. Just people like myself enjoying their motorhomes.

Hope that makes sense

Boards style looks more as though it's OUR site and not a business.

Dot think it is a business (just a site with forum) but I understand where you are coming from..
    I have joined and it seems like a friendly bunch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 barney147

We have just become members of iccc club 6 months ago and i would just like to say what a fantastic club it is, it caters for everyone and you have plenty of options of which way to go north south east or west some rallies or small and others or family orientated.
    There is also a new northern branch section which we have attended on 3 or 4 occasions the hospitality and entertainment over those weekends has been first class with plenty to do for kids and also live music at night all for just 10 or 12 euro per night, looking forward to there next meet at clogher valley caravan park on 23/24 sept. Just sorry i hadnt joined up years ago.

I do not see how the "lesser mortals" who are not at " the top table" could help.

Hi Igm,

While I dont have any "clout", I was presuming your query was fairly standard and looking for information, if so I might be able to help (or give my limited experience).

One hopes you werent trying to push the boundaries with your query :eek:, they wouldnt be used to curveballs!;)

As you're in Mayo the Corrib branch would be your locals, the hierarchy appear to be Leinster based so you'd have a 'free run' with your fellow Connaught dwellers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1 BigBoyBernerd

I'm just looking around for campervan insurance, which company does the ICCC recommend and who I hear, offer a discount? I am thinking of joining.

Advertisement