Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which router to go for?

• 19-08-2011 9:11am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Long story short, I got an existing router connnected to a 100MB UPC line which is working ok. How ever I'm looking at upgrading it as I'm not overly happy with the throughput or wireless speeds I'm getting in it and I think the router is the limiting factor at hand. Main use will be as a home router but it will also be used for work via at least one VPN at the time if not two.

Requirements:
    1) Gigabit connection on WAN and LAN
    2) Support 802.11n
    3) Suitable to handle multiple connections (torrents, video, skype, VPN, games) from multiple sources in paralell either directly or via custom firmware (looked at tomato but it looks like it is be not supporting the new routers)
    4) Preferably not to far north of the 100 EUR but can go to 250 if a case can be made for it :)

I've looked at a few such as Netgear WNR3500L, Linksys E3000-EW and the D-Link DIR-655 WiFi-N Router but it has been ages since I was doing proper reasearch on routers so I thought I'd turn to the experts diretly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Router
    I have been using that one at home for months. No blips at all just working away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Check out the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND also. I'd rather say "inexpensive", not "cheap" as it's a pretty sturdy device. Picked one up a while back and fairly happy with it. Planning to pick up another to test with different firmware.
    I haven't really experimented with VPN's through it (other than G-Bridge) but I imagine they would work pretty well.
    I got mine for ~50€.

EDIT:Ack, someone got there before me. ;D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

roast wrote: »
    Check out the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND also. I'd rather say "inexpensive", not "cheap" as it's a pretty sturdy device. Picked one up a while back and fairly happy with it. Planning to pick up another to test with different firmware.
    I haven't really experimented with VPN's through it (other than G-Bridge) but I imagine they would work pretty well.
    I got mine for ~50€.

EDIT:Ack, someone got there before me. ;D

No point spending 100-250 euro when you can get one that will more then do the job for 50 euro ;)

EDIT: 2 reccommendations ;D

OP: Your can load this with OPEN-WRT or dd-wrt too.

Advertisement