Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just a little seed. Warning slightly graphic image

• 19-08-2011 9:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭

19082011348-1.jpg

Its 1cm long but it has cost over €500 !. It entered my dogs gum & gradually travelled along his jaw towards his neck causing repeated infections. So with three courses of Antibiotics, blood tests, & finally an op the bill is heading towards €600 :eek:

19082011343-2-1.jpg

Comments

WOW !!

Get insurance now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Insurance would cover the op but some policies wouldn't cover the other treatments. This was a classic in that we hoped that each course of antibiotics would cure it. It was only when all else failed that we decided to search for a cause. So it started as just an infection - like a small abscess or cyst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

:eek: what the hell is the pic at the bottom of?

fryup wrote: »
    :eek: what the hell is the pic at the bottom of?

It's a drain - a piece of flexible pipe that allows any fluid build up to drain away. It comes out tomorrow.

He's a very sociable little chap. Our walks have taken a hilarious turn as he jumps up to say hello & scares the life out of people !

My neighbour told his kids that it was a pin holding the dog's head on & that if we pulled it out his head would fall off.

Grass seeds are notorious for their ability to travel within the body. They can often get into a dog's paw & you end with an abscess half way up it's leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Never heard of this - looks pretty rough though, hope the dog get better quickly

• Advertisement

It looks far worse than it is. He barely notices it. The worse bit is having to wear a buster collar/lampshade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Jesus!! Vet bills are so expensive! The bloody robbers! I hope your dog is getting better tho!! Looks very painful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

That looks so sad and painful. I really feel for your dog.

gregers85 wrote: »
    Jesus!! Vet bills are so expensive! The bloody robbers! I hope your dog is getting better tho!! Looks very painful!

The cost of this is more down to the fact that it was impossible to know the cause. So it had already cost €200 before we decided to operate. The operation was small but very intricate like trying to find a needle in a haystack & I think that my Vet did well to spot it.

Believe me the dog is in no pain whatsoever. I have to stop him from playing & he's just finished a Jumbone. A human would be in agony :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Is it just me or did the grass seed start to grow? :confused: Fingers crossed for a quick recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Wow, it looks awful, but your dog probably feels like we do after we've been to the dentist!:D

My OH laughs at me, I regularly check our girls feet as she's a demon for getting splinters and seeds stuck in her paws, usually between the pads. She runs full tilt off lead through fields and ditches so it's inevitable.

I had to bring her to the vet once for a splinter that made her limp for a few days and the vet told me about the dangers of splinters and seeds getting lodged and causing havoc so I'm overly careful since.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

Didn't even realise that could happen, and for something so small and simple to cause that much damage:eek: Hope it heals quickly.

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Is it just me or did the grass seed start to grow? :confused: Fingers crossed for a quick recovery.

Yes I wondered that as well - maybe I should send it off to the Botanic Gardens. Well he is due to have the drain out tomorrow morning so he won't look like Frankenstein's dog :eek:

He's still do a lot of tail wagging so he can't be feeling too bad.

The drain is now out & the vet is pleased with the way that the wound is healing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Ouch! Your poor dog!

A few months ago I brought my guinea pig Elena to the vet with what looked a lot like cherry eye (this pic)
    2011_04280112Small.jpg
    and after a week's treatment with fucithalmic ointment and then a week's treatment with a steroid and no improvement, our vet recommended to take a piece of the tissue for analysis since her lymph nodes were also inflamed, indicating that this might actually be a tumour.

But, it turned out that while our vet was operating and removing as much of the excess tissue as he could he saw something that looked like a tiny piece of thread, tugged and a whole grass seed came out, just like the one that was troubling your dog! It was in so far that we couldn't see it. And now that it's gone, little Lenie's eye is perfect, you'd never know anything happened to it.

I hope your doggy has the same great recovery.

Thanks he's doing well so far. You were lucky in that the seed didn't move. I have known them to enter a dog's paw & end up half way up it's leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

It's a bit crazy, I never really considered grass seeds as a danger before but since Lenie's operation lots of people have been telling me stories about their dogs and what a pain they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I would never have considered grass seeds to be much of an issue before this so thank you for posting and making us aware of it. I'm delighted that both dogs are on the mend.

Discodog wrote: »
    Thanks he's doing well so far.

I spoke too soon. Back to the Vet tomorrow to have some fluid removed by syringe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I was thinking of this thread this morning, I took my dogs up the fields today and saw something funny in the edge of one of my dogs' eye, investigated it and it turned out to be a grass seed :eek: Pulled it out so will keep an eye on her eye but close call.

• Advertisement

Gosh we are all going to end up with hastenburaphobia - it's a fear of grass :eek:

Advertisement