Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vincent Browne's Challenging God

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

fergalr;
    When someone in a situation like that says 'You are talking gobbledygook', it basically means the same thing as
    'You are talking rubbish' or 'I disagree with your views' or 'I think you are stupid and I am smarter than you'
    Which of course you not saying at all !
    It would be a long journey to go from their way of reasoning, to a place where they can see their errors.
    Or from your way to see the error in your thinking.
    To air grievances against religion?
    To take fairly silly potshots against guests?
    Is it to try convince people on the fence at home?
    To have a debate on religion or the existence of god?
    To actually make some sort of progress on the issues?

From watching the show, it seemed like 1&2.

Which is a pity, because people would probably benefit from more clear discussion on the later points.
    Agree with you here, this is more a have a go at the religious fools than a reasoned discussion of what faith means to people or why belief is a difficult position for some people.
    But lets tell the truth VB is Jeremy Kyle for political junkies, hard to expect anything else at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

I'm just watching now, the atheist is doing well arguing his side (not a patch on Hitchens or Dawkins - not to sound condescending) - the elderly male guest is just bugging me, he's making some idiotic arguments which Vincent/athiest refutes - and has no comeback. Vincent is being slightly aggressive towards him.

This was a poor enough show, i'd like to see Vincent in a proper debate against a 'religious' person, just to see how he fares.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Watched the first 25 minutes of it, the first 20 of which were given over to the two religious people waffling and hand-waving uncontrollably, with VB becoming more irritating, irritable and irritated, until he called the elderly chap a "condescending twit" for no especially good reason - the series producer should have carded VB on the spot for that.

On the dot of 20 minutes, Michael was invited in and he, rather gamely I thought, introduced the "god of the gaps" argument, and continued with a few simple points about modern cosmology. Predictably enough, this was ignored en masse by the two religious people who continued to deliver oodles of the kind of tedious and meaningless waffle that they must have spent many, very lonely, evenings learning off. It would have been better, I think, for Michael to have asked the religious how they knew that the entity that they believe created the universe was the same guy who showed up as an anti-establishment itinerant jewish rabbi in first-century Palestine. And stuck to his guns as the conversation staggered about like a 33rpm drunken rabbit on ecstasy played at 78rpm.

But honestly, given VB's repeatedly and increasingly unpleasant interruptions, I've no idea why none of the contributors didn't either leave or better still, just ask the good folks behind the camera for some tea and biscuits and shoot the breeze about soccer, flowers or maybe that lovely weather we've been having up to quite recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Michael Nugent

Hmmm.... some (but not all) of the early commentary here is, ironically, at the level of discourse that some of the commenters are attributing to the show. :D

Maybe the style of the show masked some of the substance. I thought Vincent Browne asked important and coherent questions. I agree that James Mackey was condescending, but both he and Fainche Ryan are intelligent educated people who for whatever reasons genuinely believe what they are saying, despite the internal contradictions and lack of evidence to support it. I think we should be prepared to engage them rather than merely insult them.

We can easily forget here how important and unusual it is to have these discussions on national Irish television. The arguments may seem boring to us because we engage in them every day, but most viewers of national Irish television are not regularly exposed to many of the basic arguments supporting atheism, reason and science. In that context, I felt it was useful to be able to put these basic arguments on record for the viewers.

Here is a summary of the points that I raised on the show.

I said that I think that where gods came from, in evolutionary terms, is that it was useful for people to identify patterns in the environment around them, as it would save them from being eaten by a wild beast. I said that people who were able to recognise more patterns rather than less patterns were more likely to survive, and as a side-effect of our ability to recognise patterns, we noticed patterns that didn’t exist, and we misidentified patterns, and we thought that if we do this, the gods are angry, and if we do this, the gods are pleased. And then some people added in the notion that if you do what I tell you, then the gods will be pleased, and that is how things went from purely just believing in gods, to religions, which are effectively social control.

I said that James Mackey and Fainche Ryan were assuming that God exists. I said that, broadly speaking, every generation, we understand more about how the universe operates, and every generation, we move more and more explanations from the ‘it must have been a god’ category, to the ‘we now understand how it happens naturally’ category. And in every generation, religious people call the bits that we don’t yet understand things that are caused by gods. I said that there is a relentless flow of what were previously religious explanations for natural phenomena being replaced by natural explanations, and there is nothing going in the opposite direction. There are no phenomena where we once thought that science gave us the best answer, and that now we realise that it was a god that did it.

When Fainche Ryan asked me can science explain the beginning, I said no, but neither can religion. I said that what science can do is that it can take us currently back as far as the Big Bang, and we can say that we don’t yet know what happened before that, but that we can be reasonably confident, based on the relentless flow of scientific explanations overtaking religious explanations, that when we do find out, the answer will be a natural one, and the field in which we are most likely to discover it is the field of quantum mechanics. I said that the current work, in particular by Steven Hawking, which is explaining how our universe, not the universe, can have come about without needing to invent a god to explain it.

I said that time and space are essentially dimensions of our universe, and that before time and space, in fact before is probably the wrong word because you can’t go before time, but beyond time or whatever phrase you want to use, that what appears to be nothing, even in terms of vacuums, contains energy fluctuations from which particles can and do come into and go out of existence with no apparent reason, and that the latest speculation from quantum physicists is that, from that, one can conceive - consistent with the evidence, rather than just making something up - one can conceive a universe coming into existence.

I asked James Mackey what did he believe consciousness to be, and I added that consciousness is a property of our brains, and that it is not an independently existing entity. I said that when our brains cease to function, our consciousness ceases to function. I said that he was purely speculating that the idea of consciousness is not only existing independently of human brains, or indeed the brains of other sentient beings, but that it was there at the beginning and that it caused matter to come about.

When James Mackey said that I had assumed that science had proven that consciousness is an emergence from our brain, I said that science does not prove anything. I said that science, unlike religion, knows that we can never know the truth. What science says is that we can gradually approach the truth by removing ideas that are shown to be not consistent with the evidence.

I said that the difficulty with some of the language of spirituality is that, if you allow yourself to stray beyond applying reason to the apparent evidence of our senses, and if you allow yourself go into that area not just in imagination, but in terms of asserting that you are representing reality, then you are allowing yourself to make up anything. I said that to be honest, I find at times that discussing theology is almost like discussing the rules of quiditch with people who believe that Harry Potter is a documentary. I said that there are things that are real, and that there are things that we make up, and that making things up as stories is fine in terms of passing on morals and so on, but when one allows oneself to assert that these imagined explanations are actually real, then you can come up with anything.

I said that science is quite comfortable with the idea that there are things that we do not understand, and that there are things that we do not yet know, but that the difference between science and religion is the way that we approach trying to understand it. I said that in science, you try to prove your theory is wrong, while in religion you recite things to try to reinforce the beliefs that you already have. I said that James Mackey was making things up about consciousness preceding the Big Bang, and that he understands how the scientific method operates, and that he understands how making things up operates, and that there is a distinction between the two.

When James Mackey said that religion addresses the whole of reality, I said that the scale of the universe is that there are over 100 billion galaxies, each of which is over 100 billion stars like our sun, and the idea that a God, that might have created something of that scale, would have a concern for beings of one species on one planet revolving around one of those suns. I said that if he was addressing the whole of reality, then in that context the idea that anything that might have been responsible for that would have any concern about what human beings on the planet Earth are doing is preposterous.

I said that what the idea of God as designer comes back to, which was the first thing that I said on the show, is the propensity of human beings to misidentify patterns that aren’t there. I said that there are things in nature that can create the illusion of design, but that does not mean that there is a conscious design or a conscious designer there. I said that if James Mackey wants to throw book titles around, if he reads the Blind Watchmaker by Richard Dawkins he would understand how the illusion of design comes about.

When Fainche Ryan said that evolution fits in perfectly with the Christian story, I said that it does not. I said that the Christian story depends on there being an Adam and Eve who had original sin, whether you read metaphorically or literally. I said that if you bring in evolution, you take out Adam and Eve, you take out original sin, you therefore take out the reason for Jesus being crucified, and the whole thing collapses.

When Vincent Browne raised the Holocaust, I said that he had made a very important point, because it takes us beyond just theological speculation, and takes us into the area of real suffering and real people being killed. I said that the Holocaust came about for two reasons: because of the dogma of Nazism and the dogma of Christianity. I said that both of those combined enabled Hitler, who believed and who wrote that he was doing the work of the Lord in exterminating the Jews, to allow a country of otherwise good people, but who had been brought up to believe that the Jews had killed their Saviour, to justify to themselves things that, in the absence of religion and fascism, they would have intuitively known were wrong.

I think it is useful to have had an opportunity to highlight these arguments on national Irish television, to an audience many of whom may not have heard them before. I think it is useful to have had these arguments contrasted with some of the unsubstantiated and contradictory arguments made on behalf of theism and religion on the same show.

I am always open to constructive criticism of my performance in anything that I do. On this show, I didn’t think it was necessary for me to go into attack mode in order to convey these points, particularly as Vincent Browne was already being quite assertive in his questions.

That said, I do sometimes wonder about the relative merits of playing by the broadcasting equivalent of Queensbury Rules when debating with people who are not doing so. The downside is that you get to say less than you would like to, while the upside is that neutral viewers may be better disposed to hearing what you do get to say.

I’ve published a more complete summary of what was discussed on the show here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

When James Mackey said that I had assumed that science had proven that consciousness is an emergence from our brain, I said that science does not prove anything. I said that science, unlike religion, knows that we can never know the truth. What science says is that we can gradually approach the truth by removing ideas that are shown to be not consistent with the evidence.

I got the impression James Mackey was angling more to the point that the physical laws of our universe are such that life is possible. The reasoning behind this being that a universe with the structure to support life is a universe designed to support life. The counter arguments of course being that there is no way of knowing under what physical laws life may come into being since at the moment we have a sample of 1 universe. Also if their is other universes or an ever expanding and collapsing universe the odds of a universe that supports life increases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Hi Micheal,

When see your arguments written down it does look like you've done a good job of covering all the bases. The program was a bit of a shambles but that was certainly not your fault.

The problem is the format of the debate and the moderation by VB. Having one atheist and two theologens meant that you were outnumbered 2 to 1 but the fact that VB has already declared for the Atheist side made it seem as though it was one sided in favour of the atheists.

It looked like the theists got most of the talking time, but VB, used his moderater position to badger them rather than dividing out the time more equallly and allowing you the opportunity to challenge what they were (not) saying.

A better format for this would have been individual interviews between Vinnie and various theologens/atheists and edited in post production to accurately represent the positions of both sides, and this was what I was expecting when I heard that this series was being commissioned, I certainly didn't expect that there would just be a panel show recorded live in studio.

I hope the next episode is better thought out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Slightly off topic but on the idea of a universe fine tuned for life - new developements (newish anyway) point that the line between life and non life is not all that clear cut. The universe if you ask me is not fine tuned for life (for a start 99.999999999% of it will kill any life we know of immediately!) the parts that do appear fine tuned, like earth, are either A - just lucky, or B - only fine tuned through chance for 1 particular type of life, therefore others could quite possible exist in places that would kill earth type life,
    This video is well worth a look - proto cells that behave in certain ways as though they are alive -perhaps a stepping stone on the way to actually being alive as we know it.

The question of Abiogenesis is one that I think will be solved by science in the next few decades.
    (the answer won't be 'god did it')

Akrasia wrote: »
    The question of Abiogenesis is one that I think will be solved by science in the next few decades.
    (the answer won't be 'god did it')

Ahh science of the gaps now!

• Moderators Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Ahh science of the gaps now!
    Science did it? :confused:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement

koth wrote: »
    Science did it? :confused:

Science of the gaps = we don't know now but are sure science will answer all the questions. It's as bad as god of the gaps where we attribute everything we don't know to 'god takes care of that'.
    Exchanging one form of faith for another is never a good idea. Science will explain everything isn't even a claim that science makes.

Science of the gaps = we don't know now but are sure science will answer all the questions. It's as bad as god of the gaps where we attribute everything we don't know to 'god takes care of that'.
    Exchanging one form of faith for another is never a good idea. Science will explain everything isn't even a claim that science makes.
    Stanley Miller has already demonstrated that organic compounds can generate spontaneously in conditions similar to those found on earth when the first forms of life appeared.

If the building blocks of life can occor naturally, all it takes after that is for a single instance of a self replicating organism to emerge and mutate from primitive forms of RNA, then into DNA and then into all the forms of life we have today.

With computer technology advancing so rapidly, I believe that we will discover a plausible model for how the first jump from non living to living organism occured within the next few decades.

There will never be 100% certainty, but the mechanisms will be better understood and we may even be able to replicate abiogenesis in the lab.

You can call that 'faith' if you like, but Science has a very good track record at making new discoveries and there are promising research paths that many scientists are working on right now any of which could result in a breakthrough.

Contrast this with religious 'faith' and you can see that they are very very different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Akrasia wrote: »
    You can call that 'faith' if you like, but Science has a very good track record at making new discoveries and there are promising research paths that many scientists are working on right now any of which could result in a breakthrough.

Contrast this with religious 'faith' and you can see that they are very very different.

If you are sure that science will answer all the questions, then that is a form of 'faith' thats not so different to religious faith.

I hope it will. I suspect that we cant fathom the limits of where we'll get with scientific enquiry, given time and technology.

But, even if we greatly advance our science, and even greatly advance or augment our intellects, it might be the case that there are questions we want to answer which are closed to us, which don't fall to our scientific enquiry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Tell you what; If science ever determines that a single one of those gaps is actually your chosen god, I'll buy you a Snickers.

'Science of the gaps'... Jesus wept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

The difference is "God did it" vs "through science we can learn how and why". I doubt we will ever get the stage where the answer is "dunno, ****ed if we know", it will always be we dont know how yet

Otherwise we would still think Thor caused lightning.

The difference is "God did it" vs "through science we can learn how and why". I doubt we will ever get the stage where the answer is "dunno, ****ed if we know", it will always be we dont know how yet

Otherwise we would still think Thor caused lightning.

it will always be we dont know how yet[/B
    Thats exactly the same answer the religious people give! see what I mean now?

it will always be we dont know how yet[/B
    Thats exactly the same answer the religious people give! see what I mean now?

No, they say god did it.

What do you want science to do? Say anything we dont know at the minute we never will?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

What do you want science to do? Say anything we dont know at the minute we never will?

I'm actually not a fan of saying things like this. It almost personifies the word 'science' as if it's a human person, such as:

'Science says...'

'What do you want science to do...?'

'Science doesn't say that'

Sort of makes it sound dogmatic (which I know it isn't but nonetheless). I'd much prefer if people referred specifically to what aspect of science happens to contradict a specific aspect of religion. Using all encompassing phrases like 'religion says x, y and z', and 'science disagrees with x, y and z' seems too general.

Anyway, rant over.

I'm actually not a fan of saying things like this. It almost personifies the word 'science' as if it's a human person, such as:

'Science says...'

'What do you want science to do...?'

'Science doesn't say that'

Sort of makes it sound dogmatic (which I know it isn't but nonetheless). I'd much prefer if people referred specifically to what aspect of science happens to contradict a specific aspect of religion. Using all encompassing phrases like 'religion says x, y and z', and 'science disagrees with x, y and z' seems too general.

Anyway, rant over.

True, suppose what I meant was scientists and researchers. Its just these conversations are about scientific discoveries and religion so it is easier to just say science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

fergalr wrote: »
    If you are sure that science will answer all the questions, then that is a form of 'faith' thats not so different to religious faith.

I think its more of a case of being sure that, if the questions can be all answered, then they will be answered by science, given that science actually asks the questions.

• Advertisement

Yes it easier to use science as shorthand for research experiments and all the hard work that makes up the scientific endeavor.
    Mt point is when someone says 'science will answer x' that's a belief, no more or less than believing that God did it.
    A point that some people seem to miss completely.
    If you must posit that science is anything then stick with it being our best chance of discovering how the natural world works.

True, suppose what I meant was scientists and researchers. Its just these conversations are about scientific discoveries and religion so it is easier to just say science.

Even by saying scientists and researchers, you are personifying it a bit. I know normally personification like this isn't a problem, its more about keeping the sentences flowing in an easy to read way, but religion is based on semantics and word twisting and giving them something to latch onto can come back and bite you later. Even if you manage to argue through claims of science being dogmatic and people have "religious" faith in it, you still will need to go back and argue through the evidence.

The best is probably to say "the evidence says..." and then reference the scientific evidence. Regardless of what they respond with, it centres the argument on the evidence where it should be and where it will end up anyway if they stick out the debate that long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I prefer "the current evidence suggests."

Mt point is when someone says 'science will answer x' that's a belief, no more or less than believing that God did it.
    A point that some people seem to miss completely.

Just because both are forms of belief doesn't make the beliefs equal in any way. You are completely ignoring why people might have either belief.
    This is a rock:Benitoite%20Fee%20Dig,%20Oct%2007,%20My%20Big%2079ct,%203x2.5x1.5cm%20Stoneyblue%20Benioite.jpg
    This is also a rock: big-rock-with-people-in-front.jpg
    Is one no more or less than the other??

Just because both are forms of belief doesn't make the beliefs equal in any way. You are completely ignoring why people might have either belief.
    This is a rock:Benitoite%20Fee%20Dig,%20Oct%2007,%20My%20Big%2079ct,%203x2.5x1.5cm%20Stoneyblue%20Benioite.jpg
    This is also a rock: big-rock-with-people-in-front.jpg
    Is one no more or less than the other??

Categorical error. Rock isn't binary, belief is. You either believe or you don't, theirs no such thing as a small belief or big belief.
    I know we use terms like strongly believe or inclined to believe but in fact you believe or you don't. In that sense all belief is the same.
    I hate when people use belief as a term for knowing. Once you say 'I believe' your in the realm of hypothesis or theory yet to be proven.
    We are sloppy with language, useful when in conversation or negotiations but completely useless when discussing facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Maybe the style of the show masked some of the substance. I thought Vincent Browne asked important and coherent questions. I agree that James Mackey was condescending, but both he and Fainche Ryan are intelligent educated people who for whatever reasons genuinely believe what they are saying, despite the internal contradictions and lack of evidence to support it. I think we should be prepared to engage them rather than merely insult them.

I know that this comes across as arrogant but I have serious doubts about the intelligence of anyone who can talk about quantum physics in the way that he did. I think that we are inclined to give credit to someone who is elderly, wears a suit and holds some degrees. None of these things are a guarantee of a sharp intellect. Now my only knowledge of the man comes from his appearance on this programme but going on that (admittedly small) amount of evidence, I didn't see much to indicate a mighty intellect.
    We can easily forget here how important and unusual it is to have these discussions on national Irish television. The arguments may seem boring to us because we engage in them every day, but most viewers of national Irish television are not regularly exposed to many of the basic arguments supporting atheism, reason and science. In that context, I felt it was useful to be able to put these basic arguments on record for the viewers.
    Absolutely, but it would have been better I think if there had been a bit more structure to the debate and a moderator who at least tried to be neutral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

JimiTime wrote: »
    Not so. Cause and effect is a rather fundamental scientific principal. People who believe understanding science leads one away from God either don't understand science, or don't understand God.

More bat guano. People who understand science are lead away from god. The average atheist is more intelligent than the average human, and much more likely to be engaged or trained in a subject of methodoligical investigation of reality (mainly because reality has a tendency to refute the god hypothesis)>

Hmmm.... some (but not all) of the early commentary here is, ironically, at the level of discourse that some of the commenters are attributing to the show. :D

Don't mind me, I'm a condescending twit.:pac:

The average atheist is more intelligent than the average human, and much more likely to be engaged or trained in a subject of methodoligical investigation of reality

Eh? What now? :confused: I presume you have something to support this astounding claim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

Jernal wrote: »
    Eh? What now? :confused: I presume you have something to support this astounding claim.

His own superior intellect no doubt:D

..in other words a sample of one, quite scientific

By the same logic, as the majority of East Asians are atheist or non-religious, does that mean East Asians are more intelligent than other demographic groups?

I know we use terms like strongly believe or inclined to believe but in fact you believe or you don't. In that sense all belief is the same.

Well, obviously when you ignore every thing different about different beliefs, then you end up binary systems, but why would you do that?
    You are just creating a tautology: All beliefs are the same if we ignore why they are different.

Well, obviously when you ignore every thing different about different beliefs, then you end up binary systems, but why would you do that?
    You are just creating a tautology: All beliefs are the same if we ignore why they are different.

Speaking of tautologies, and circular reasoning, could you explain what you meant by the following quote, in a way that is neither circular or tautological?
    I think its more of a case of being sure that, if the questions can be all answered, then they will be answered by science, given that science actually asks the questions.

Edit:

Actually, I think I might be seeing what you are getting at, given the 'if the questions can be all answered' clause.

You are basically saying that science is the only real way we have to tackle the questions. You accept that some questions might be unanswerable, but think that for the answerable ones, science is the only way to go.

I guess I agree with that, for a sufficiently broad definition of 'science' as including logic, reason, etc. Although maybe by making that definition fuzzy, the claim loses its value.

I think we can learn truths by logic and reason, as well as by falsifiable experiments (which is how some define science).

Some questions we want to answer might not be answerable by any of those methods, though. I maintain that to believe those methods can eventually answer any question we want answered requires faith of a kind almost religious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

We still haven't found out why Michael Nugent almost always wears red.

*Digs head in sand further*

More bat guano. People who understand science are lead away from god. The average atheist is more intelligent than the average human, and much more likely to be engaged or trained in a subject of methodoligical investigation of reality (mainly because reality has a tendency to refute the god hypothesis)>

Crock of sh1t!

I'm not ignoring the difference between beliefs. I'm pointing out that beliefs isn't proof. If their is a God my disbelief wont remove Him. If their isn't a God, my belief wont create Him.
    Same for multiple universes or life on mars. Belief is all equal and all equally invalid as evidence.

Theirs a tendency among science fanboys to overstate what science is capable off and atheists seem to use science to replace God as a means of explaining everything.
    All well and good while we are on solid material claims but once you get into metaphysics of no use whatsoever. Then extend the claim to conclude that because science can't verified metaphysical claims then they don't exist at all.
    That's what I object to, the idea that what science can measure is all their is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

I’ve published a more complete summary of what was discussed on the show here.

This.

Watched the show Monday night on TV3's 3 Player. I, like most of the regular posters here, have already heard Nugent's points many times. But we're not the target audience. The hope is that viewers at home who dare not question the infallibility of the church/ religion, and thus haven't read any atheist articles nor watched any debates, might see that atheists don't look like Marilyn Manson*. There are atheists among us, and they have been known to blend in. Some of them have a family, maybe even a job. ;)

The debate would have been better with one minor alteration. Instead of Michael Nugent flying solo, he should have had a dark-haired, atheist vixen by his side.

*My mother finds it hard to bring herself to even say the word 'atheist'. She thinks they are horrible, miserable people, and I suspect she visualises Manson when she does.

I'm not ignoring the difference between beliefs. I'm pointing out that beliefs isn't proof. If their is a God my disbelief wont remove Him. If their isn't a God, my belief wont create Him.
    Same for multiple universes or life on mars. Belief is all equal and all equally invalid as evidence.

Theirs a tendency among science fanboys to overstate what science is capable off and atheists seem to use science to replace God as a means of explaining everything.
    All well and good while we are on solid material claims but once you get into metaphysics of no use whatsoever. Then extend the claim to conclude that because science can't verified metaphysical claims then they don't exist at all.
    That's what I object to, the idea that what science can measure is all their is.

I think its very hard to have a productive discussion on these things, without some agreement on what we mean by things like 'explaining' or 'verifying' something, or what we mean by 'science', and even what you mean by 'measure'.

When we say 'science' do we include logical and mathematical reasoning under that umbrella?

When you say you object to the idea that science can measure all there is, does this mean that you think there are things that can be measured, but that science doesnt apply to? (If so, can you give an example?)

Or do you mean that there are things that exist, but that can't be measured, and so science can't apply to them?

What do you mean when you say that science can't verify metaphysical claims?
    Is there another way of verifying a metaphysical claim?
    What does it mean for a metaphysical claim to be verified?

Are you saying that there are metaphysical claims, which we can investigate the truth of, but without using science? Do you mean we can try and investigate them using logic and reason? Or do you mean by some other way (e.g. some religious way?) What counts as an investigation, in that context?

I'm not trying to be obtuse - but there's just so much you have to do, so many terms you have to lay out, I think, to be able to make any progress.

Crock of sh1t!

You wouldn't know reality if it bit you in the arse.

And in case you doubt, read on.

I think its very hard to have a productive discussion on these things, without some agreement on what we mean by things like 'explaining' or 'verifying' something, or what we mean by 'science', and even what you mean by 'measure'.

When we say 'science' do we include logical and mathematical reasoning under that umbrella?

When you say you object to the idea that science can measure all there is, does this mean that you think there are things that can be measured, but that science doesnt apply to? (If so, can you give an example?)

Or do you mean that there are things that exist, but that can't be measured, and so science can't apply to them?

What do you mean when you say that science can't verify metaphysical claims?
    Is there another way of verifying a metaphysical claim?
    What does it mean for a metaphysical claim to be verified?

Are you saying that there are metaphysical claims, which we can investigate the truth of, but without using science? Do you mean we can try and investigate them using logic and reason? Or do you mean by some other way (e.g. some religious way?) What counts as an investigation, in that context?

I'm not trying to be obtuse - but there's just so much you have to do, so many terms you have to lay out, I think, to be able to make any progress.

Won't go into your post in detail now because you get my point exactly! The words used and what they refer to must be defined exactly before any meaningful discussion can be had. OK so I was being somewhat obtuse deliberately to make the point but it's an important one. Atheists and theists speak a different language, have a different world view and just to make it more confusing theists all have a different set of words and worldviews to each other.
    This thread is about VB's show and what was right/wrong with it. I think this type of show is important, we get lots of Gay Byrne type 'tell me how spiritual you are' shows but seldom get to examine what this is based on. Vinny blew it by being too combative and not sticking to the topic he set! Shame as it would have been revealing to hear the old guy explain how religion was a distortion of what it should be. Even more fun to listen to the woman tell us it would all work out in the end. We didn't need Michael Nugent for this show, he should have been kept for another show. The two theologians would have self destructed on their own or perhaps shown us another side of religion, one that's not often explored. Vincent wasn't the man to do this though.

Well if Richard Lynn said it, it must be true :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

There is scientific evidence that people who call themselves liberal are more intelligent than those who identify as conservative. Those who identify as extremely liberal being the most intelligent. Does this cross into atheist -theist? Its hard to say although I would say that the majority of atheists identify as liberal.

Not really an effective argument against his/her claim.

That's just a huge can of worms, and I'm not sure there's anything productive to be gained from it.

The claim objected to was that the average atheist is more intelligent than the average human.

That's a really hard claim to back up.

Its not sufficient to show that a particular group of intelligent humans (e.g. university some thing or others) are more likely to be atheists than random humans are.

It'd be very hard to control for all possible confounding factors.

Anyway, who even cares?

If you discovered that the cardinals of the catholic church were all really smart (and I would guess they probably are), would that be an argument to become a catholic?

Crock of sh1t!
    [...] bit you in the arse.
    No great need to resort to foul language, either of you.

While the topic is highly contested for a variety of methodological, evidence-based and faith-based reasons, there does appear to be reasonably consistent evidence of a negative correlation between high IQ and religiosity:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_intelligence

If you discovered that the cardinals of the catholic church were all really smart (and I would guess they probably are), would that be an argument to become a catholic?
    Not at all.

Though I would be reminded of the old comment about Russia -- that you could be a member of the Communist Party, you could be honest, or you could be smart. But only two at any one time.

Studies like this are a can of worms to the ideologues who may choose to parrot them. However, it's not really reason to suggest we shouldn't conduct these types of studies. The more contentious studies, for example, Men vs Women may never be accepted. The thing is though, by doing them scientists actually gain insights into about how humans works. The core claim "women are more/less smart/empathetic than men" may never be resolved. But if you ever read the "debates" had on the issue you'll gain a plethora of insight into the overall abilities and workings of humans and how they may can manifest differently. Just because we may not like the results or ever accept them doesn't mean the studies themselves won't provide use to us in other non contentious ways. :)

robindch wrote: »
    Not at all.

So, why do we care whether particular groups of intelligent people are more atheist than average?

Though I would be reminded of the old comment about Russia -- that you could be a member of the Communist Party, you could be honest, or you could be smart. But only two at any one time.

That is a pretty good quote :)

While the topic is highly contested for a variety of methodological, evidence-based and faith-based reasons, there does appear to be reasonably consistent evidence of a negative correlation between high IQ and religiosity:

So what if theres a correlation, though? There are so many possible confounding reasons, its not very causally suggestive.

Even if you could establish a causal link, what would be the value?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

We still haven't found out why Michael Nugent almost always wears red.

There has to be some evolutionary advantage.

It's what all aspects of behaviour seem reduced to these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

mickrock wrote: »
    There has to be some evolutionary advantage.

It's what all aspects of behaviour seem reduced to these days.

Great article mick about the very point you made.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Great article mick about the very point you made.

Aww I thought you were going to link to a paper or article about the bias we have towards the colour red.

• Advertisement
Advertisement