Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a small wall built

• 19-08-2011 9:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭

Am looking to get a small wall built between 2 semi detached houses, ( between the front gardens ) and a piller at the end, about a meter high and maybe 16 - 18 ft long, anyone know of a builder can sort it, im after getting 3 quotes from 500 to 1400, has to be something wrong here,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

banjacksed wrote: »
    Am looking to get a small wall built between 2 semi detached houses, ( between the front gardens ) and a piller at the end, about a meter high and maybe 16 - 18 ft long, anyone know of a builder can sort it, im after getting 3 quotes from 500 to 1400, has to be something wrong here,

Unplastered with coping to wall and a cap to the pillar, blockwork 100mm thick should be in the region of €750 + VAT going to a mainstream builder but you'll get lads these days to do it cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭banjacksed

jimbojazz wrote: »
    Unplastered with coping to wall and a cap to the pillar, blockwork 100mm thick should be in the region of €750 + VAT going to a mainstream builder but you'll get lads these days to do it cheaper.

Thanks for the reply, coping to wall means nothing to me, is that like plaster? ok know what the caps are, Theres these small concrete holders in the ground for small boards to go through, i take it they will take these up? anyway, do you know anyone that would do it?
    As you can see im useless when it comes to anything like this

banjacksed wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, coping to wall means nothing to me, is that like plaster? ok know what the caps are, Theres these small concrete holders in the ground for small boards to go through, i take it they will take these up? anyway, do you know anyone that would do it?
    As you can see im useless when it comes to anything like this

pm sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭banjacksed

pm sent

Thanks il give him buzz and see what he says

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

I'm looking for a blocklayer also as I am starting to build a new house in the coming weeks.
    A lot of the quotes I got still seem to be from the boom time 3-4 yrs ago.
    Anyone know a blocklayer that will do a days work for a days wages, please message me.
    Happy to pay cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭scico rocks

I'm looking for a blocklayer also as I am starting to build a new house in the coming weeks.
    A lot of the quotes I got still seem to be from the boom time 3-4 yrs ago.
    Anyone know a blocklayer that will do a days work for a days wages, please message me.
    Happy to pay cash.

Thats probably how you'll get the cheapest quotes these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭janisjoplin

500euro is about right just to lay the blocks but then you have to dig a foundation put in a foundation,take up the old posts,get rid of the rubble and rubbish and whats left and ya need sand and cement and then you have to buy all the materials for it also,so the quotes you got could be right, it depends on what you want done, if their supplying the goods

500euro is about right just to lay the blocks but then you have to dig a foundation put in a foundation,take up the old posts,get rid of the rubble and rubbish and whats left and ya need sand and cement and then you have to buy all the materials for it also,so the quotes you got could be right, it depends on what you want done, if their supplying the goods

Fair dues if you get that these days. The wall is 6m long by 1m high. If its a 100mm thick block wall and allow 1 block in the founds thats av. 1.20m high. Theres 10 100mm blocks in a m2. So for the wall you'd need approx 80 blocks including waste. For the pier you'd need about 25 blocks. That's 105 blocks in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭janisjoplin

Fair dues if you get that these days. The wall is 6m long by 1m high. If its a 100mm thick block wall and allow 1 block in the founds thats av. 1.20m high. Theres 10 100mm blocks in a m2. So for the wall you'd need approx 80 blocks including waste. For the pier you'd need about 25 blocks. That's 105 blocks in total.

sorry your right i read it wrong i had 16 - 18 m in my head not ft 500 would be right to dig the foundation and pour it and lay the blocks .the other prices you got may be was to supply everything and take away the rubble thats what i charge

Advertisement