Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Litter of Pups - The Financial Cost

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Some top notch analysis there on the cost of breeding dogs - I especiallty liked how they broke down the costs to come up with that figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Paul T Barry

Mating was performed using AI

AI Costs = 100
    Scan Bitch = 32
    Progesterone Tests on Bitch = 120
    Visit to Vet on Day of Whelping = 288
    Whelping Box = 160
    Worming suspenison = 18
    Puppy Food & Milk = 37.50 (Cost more but that's all that was noted)
    Pups first Injection = 85
    Second Injection with Microchip = 150
    IKC registration = 42

Total = 1032.50

Mating was performed using AI

AI Costs = 100
    Scan Bitch = 32
    Whelping Box = 160
    Worming suspenison = 18
    Puppy Food & Milk = 37.50 (Cost more but that's all that was noted)
    Pups first Injection = 85
    Second Injection with Microchip = 150
    IKC registration = 42

Total = 1032.50

Well you could have saved €700 by knocking the first 5 things off the list!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Well you could have saved €700 by knocking the first 5 things off the list!

Sure why not save €1032.50 and do nothing to care for the bitch and pups and then sell them off to the first person who offers €500 each, then you'd have made loads of money :mad:

I think it's fantastic to see someone breeding in the correct manner, taking proper care of both the bitch and her pups and making them the first priority, not the almighty euro

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Paul T Barry

Thanks TooManyDogs

In response to Orange2

AI Costs = 100
    Scan Bitch = 32

The above three costs equate to less than what a stud fee would cost for a for a good healthy specimen in my breed,

The bitch had her first pup and 8 hours later no other pups were coming. Due to the fact we had her scanned we knew there were more pups to come so ended up at the vets for assistance. Oxytocin was administered, and finally 2 other pups were born healthy. We were very close to a Caesarean section.

Whelping Box = 160

As this was the first time in breeding a litter, we wnted everythin done correctly and bough a whelping box from New Dog in the UK...Prpbably could have done without this, but as mentioned wanted everything righ, like any repsonsible person that goes to breed a litter

Can I ask, have you got dogs, and if fo have you ever bred a litter ?

• Advertisement

Thanks TooManyDogs

In response to Orange2

AI Costs = 100
    Scan Bitch = 32

The above three costs equate to less than what a stud fee would cost for a for a good healthy specimen in my breed,

The bitch had her first pup and 8 hours later no other pups were coming. Due to the fact we had her scanned we knew there were more pups to come so ended up at the vets for assistance. Oxytocin was administered, and finally 2 other pups were born healthy. We were very close to a Caesarean section.

Whelping Box = 160

As this was the first time in breeding a litter, we wnted everythin done correctly and bough a whelping box from New Dog in the UK...Prpbably could have done without this, but as mentioned wanted everything righ, like any repsonsible person that goes to breed a litter

Can I ask, have you got dogs, and if fo have you ever bred a litter ?

I have a few different breeds and have a little breeding program out my back

Only joking - i have a springer spaniel

And when i was younger (18 years ago) parents bred Yorkshire terriers of the miniature variety - IKC reg'd - much loved family pets -

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

And when i was younger (18 years ago) parents bred Yorkshire terriers of the miniature variety - IKC reg'd - much loved family pets -

Of which there is no such thing, I hope you realise?

Its great to see people doing things properly for once. This country really could do with a few more responsible breeders and far less puppy farms:mad:

Shanao wrote: »
    Of which there is no such thing, I hope you realise?

Its great to see people doing things properly for once. This country really could do with a few more responsible breeders and far less puppy farms:mad:

Of which there is such a thing.

It's common knowledge amongst dog people that a miniature yorkshire terrier is a yorkshire terrier reg'd that is just extra small - this is done by breeding two extra small yorkshire terriers thus giving it the nickname 'miniature yorkshire terrier'

So next time you see miniature yorkshire terrier on donedeal you now know what they're on about. I find it very confussing that somebody who thinks they're so in the know about dogs didnt know this?

It's common knowledge amongst dog people that a miniature yorkshire terrier is a yorkshire terrier reg'd that is just extra small - this is done by breeding two extra small yorkshire terriers thus giving it the nickname 'miniature yorkshire terrier'

So next time you see miniature yorkshire terrier on donedeal you now know what they're on about. I find it very confussing that somebody who thinks they're so in the know about dogs didnt know this?

And its common knowledge amongst dog people and responsible breeders that there are only four registered miniature breeds and the yorkshire is not one of them. A yorkshire that is extra small is known as a runt and breeding a runt to a runt to produce 'miniature' puppies as you call them is a disgusting practice. Miniature and teacup are words attached to these runts names to make them more appealing and dupe the ignorant into buying them. I'm sorry you're so confused but I can assure you, I know my dogs well enough to know this. I'm surprised that no one else ever mentioned it to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

What does it say on the IKC papers as the breed of the dog, does it say miniature yorkshire terrier, or does it say yorkshire terrier?

• Advertisement

Shanao wrote: »
    And its common knowledge amongst dog people and responsible breeders that there are only four registered miniature breeds and the yorkshire is not one of them. A yorkshire that is extra small is known as a runt and breeding a runt to a runt to produce 'miniature' puppies as you call them is a disgusting practice. Miniature and teacup are words attached to these runts names to make them more appealing and dupe the ignorant into buying them. I'm sorry you're so confused but I can assure you, I know my dogs well enough to know this. I'm surprised that no one else ever mentioned it to you

So what? these runt dogs should be put down immediatly because they're not to the superior gene quality? and although yorkies are recognised IKC and miniature arent, because IKC is the ultimite measure on dog breeds even though they themselves have questionable breeding specs when it comes to certain breed?

The way this board goes on about dog breeding sometimes sounds similiar to a Nazi genetics program.

Isdw - Yorkshire terrier

So what? these runt dogs should be put down immediatly because they're not to the superior gene quality? and although yorkies are recognised IKC and miniature arent, because IKC is the ultimite measure on dog breeds even though they themselves have questionable breeding specs when it comes to certain breed?

The way this board goes on about dog breeding sometimes sounds similiar to a Nazi genetics program.

Isdw - Yorkshire terrier

No of course not, but by breeding these runts you are producing unhealthy dogs. Hypoglycemia is most prominent in small dogs, the smaller the puppy, the more likely they are to get it, and it is quite prevalent in small-sized yorkshire terriers. So by breeding runts, you are breeding in health problems when the point of breeding is to try and breed out these problems. If the puppy is a runt due to genes, then there are going to be more genetic issues passed on as well.

Lets look at this from the other end of the scale, if i was breeding oversized great danes just so i can call them Mega Danes, do you think they would all be healthy dogs with no problems? Of course not, most of them would probably have extremely shortened lifespans, heart problems, lung problems etc.

And its not just the IKC, there are no registries in the world that include the 'miniature' yorkie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

So what? these runt dogs should be put down immediatly because they're not to the superior gene quality?

No, but they shouldn't be called 'miniature' when there's no such thing, described as 'rare', and certainly shouldn't be bred from.

Isdw - Yorkshire terrier

You've proved yourself wrong then, if the world wide kennel clubs don't recognise the breed, then it doesn't exist.

There are 'types' of dogs, but that doesn't mean that they are a breed.

Your last point about nazi genetics sounds very like that pedigree dogs exposed programme, which did have some very good points, but also some shocking bad ones, such as the nazi genetics nonsense.

Why, if the papers say yorkshire terrier, do you call them something different?

ISDW wrote: »

Isdw - Yorkshire terrier

You've proved yourself wrong then, if the world wide kennel clubs don't recognise the breed, then it doesn't exist.

There are 'types' of dogs, but that doesn't mean that they are a breed.

Your last point about nazi genetics sounds very like that pedigree dogs exposed programme, which did have some very good points, but also some shocking bad ones, such as the nazi genetics nonsense.

Why, if the papers say yorkshire terrier, do you call them something different?

Miniature is just an adjective to describe the dog.

So if somebody says they have a large German shepherd should i demand to see the dogs registration documentation and then tell the owner to refrain from using the word 'large' to describe his dog as his dog is only recognised as standard size so by calling your dog big or small is a bad thing according to boards.ie. Because because there is no such thing as a large German shepherd

Miniature is just an adjective to describe the dog.

So if somebody says they have a large German shepherd should i demand to see the dogs registration documentation and then tell the owner to refrain from using the word 'large' to describe his dog as his dog is only recognised as standard size so by calling your dog big or small is a bad thing according to boards.ie. Because because there is no such thing as a large German shepherd

Sorry, but thats not what you said earlier on.

People are deliberately breeding small dogs together to make a small dog, without any regard to the health of the pups.

How can a breeder know that a GSD is going to be large for the breed when it is a pup? If a dog grows bigger than the standard, then fair enough, but they are not being purposely bred bigger than they should be.

Advertisement