Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long does a business have to charge your laser card?

Options
  • 19-08-2011 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi all

I went out for a bit of a fancy meal last week that proved quite expensive. I paid by laser card but this has not come out of my account yet. I was wondering if anyone knows how long the restaurant has before they can no longer charge my laser card?

I just ask because I've heard they have up to six months or something but I'm not sure, and like I said it was quite expensive so I'm not too happy with the idea of this amount of money hanging over my head, if I forget about it and in five months time they suddenly charge me and a large chunk of money I may be relying on will disappear from my account. Any idea how long they have? Or any idea if there is a way I can get them to put it through sooner?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It nomally takes 1-4 days, almost never instantaneous. It once took a month for me. I don't know what the limit is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Victor wrote: »
    It nomally takes 1-4 days, almost never instantaneous. It once took a month for me. I don't know what the limit is.

That used to be the case alright however in recent times (past year) it's always been instant for me. If I check my statement online there will be a DR with a ref number for a couple of days which gets replaced with the company name after a few days.

Tbh I thought the days of laser transactions taking ages to hit your account were long gone!

OP You should just be conscious of this transaction until it hits your account, check your bal & add the amount to it until it actually comes through that way you won't inadvertently go OD on your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

6 months.

It's nothing to do with the laser,MasterCard or visa system. It's the retailer not batching off there machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

6 months.

It's nothing to do with the laser,MasterCard or visa system. It's the retailer not batching off there machine.

Wow didn't think still happened in this day and age. OP just add this bal till it actually comes through. Easy solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Eever

SteoL wrote: »
    Wow didn't think still happened in this day and age. OP just add this bal till it actually comes through. Easy solution.

Not really sure what you mean by "add this balance till it comes through". Am I right in presuming you mean just make sure there's enough money in my account? That's what I was thinking, but I was also thinking that if it could take up to six months a mistake could easily be made on my part to not check the balance every single day to make sure the money is there. Not an issue now anyway as the transaction came through today, thanks a million for all your replies!

• Advertisement
Advertisement