Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Get your money ready before the toll

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

Use the manned booth!
    Machine doesn't give change, manned booth does, also, once dropped a few cents, she just waved me through and said "no worries". Happy out.

The one i used does give change, and there is only one non automatic/toll tag one.
    This is entering the limerick tunnel road from the coonagh side.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

brian2me wrote: »
    When the Shannon tunnel opened first I tried to use my etoll, they were having major issues with the express lane, tags not reading even on the pay booths. They tried to inform me one day that it was my tag even though I was on my back from Dublin having passed through 2 tolls. I was getting tired of their lack of willingness to improve their system, I told the tool booth op that i had no money only my tag. He took my reg and asked me to call the phone number on the receipt to make my payment. Made the call when i got home and made it clear that I would not pay as if they were able to read my tag in the first place they would have received payment. Never heard a word back. And the express lane has improved but still nowhere where it should be.

STILL HAVING MAJOR TROUBLE WITH THE SHANNON TUNNEL!!!!!!! :mad:

Have a Ford Focus with a tolltag.ie, have given up using the Express Lane on the tunnel as it NEVER picks up my tag. 30% of the time the tag reader at the auto booths will also FAIL to pick up my tag!

Happened AGAIN this morning! Came out of the tunnel, up to the toll both. Was actually stopped before the both as a driver in front of me was having problems with the basket. Drove up to the barrier expecting it to work no luck!

NEVER has the tag failed at any other toll both in the country!

Am sick to my back teeth!

Any ideas what I can do about it???

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...of course - they all do.

Shannon one doesn't take credit cards. Unless they've recently updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Best option is to just invest in a tool tag.

lol....:D
    I always have exact change ready, what is this crazy talk about chucking €2 into the basket? Do ye have too much money, so you have to chuck some of it away?:P
    Anyways, I'd have the window down before arriving at the coin basket, money in my right hand, chuck it in before coming to a full standstill, have the car in first gear and the window already going back up before it's counted all the money.
    As soon as it's green it's foot down with an inch clearance of the barrier still on it's way up. I reckon I can beat an F1 pitstop.;)
    My favorite game is when someone stops in the next lane at the same time as me, I HAVE to beat him and get out the pits first.
    How silly am I?:D

Lol.....and I thought I was the only one to test out my 0 to 100...120.....ish time pulling away from the tolls:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

_Conrad_ wrote: »
    The one i used does give change, and there is only one non automatic/toll tag one.
    This is entering the limerick tunnel road from the coonagh side.

:confused:
    Sorry, run that by me again.
    If I understand correctly, you're saying the automated booths give change?
    Will try, but the huge sign above them that say "no change given" always conveyed the impression they don't.
    I use the tunnel on a regular basis, I never got the impression they do.
    One of these days I will try throwing in a €2 coin, if it doesn't give change, you owe me 20c!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭Fey!

I always have exact change ready, what is this crazy talk about chucking €2 into the basket? Do ye have too much money, so you have to chuck some of it away?:P
    Anyways, I'd have the window down before arriving at the coin basket, money in my right hand, chuck it in before coming to a full standstill, have the car in first gear and the window already going back up before it's counted all the money.
    As soon as it's green it's foot down with an inch clearance of the barrier still on it's way up. I reckon I can beat an F1 pitstop.;)
    My favorite game is when someone stops in the next lane at the same time as me, I HAVE to beat him and get out the pits first.
    How silly am I?:D

We call that the Brands Hatch approach!!

Most motor factors sell change holders that hold about €60 in mixed coins. Perfect for the tolls, a quick coffee pitstop, or when you're low on fuel and don't have your wallet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I know a girl who drove up while on the phone, with the correct change ready to go in her right hand.

Pity she threw her phone into the basket.

And she told us she did it, hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Was back visiting Ireland.

Drove from Dublin to Cork in a Rental.

First toll was to be paid online.

Second toll gave no change (person)

Third toll gave change. (person)

Now... expecting a tourist to have change ready when in some cases you don't need change and in another case you pay online (or in a garage etc) is just stupid IMO. You don't even get a bloody receipt.

At least in France/Belgium/The Netherlands you pay a guy at the gate and get change and a receipt on request !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

To be fair....

I have an Easytrip (ironic actually) tag that about 50/60% of the time doesn't read correctly on the M3 express lane tolls - works on any other toll though.. M1, M50, M7 etc AND it works in the other lanes of the M3 tolls JUST cause issues on the express lane

Of course the toll company says it's not mounted far enough to the left (even though it's mounted behind the mirror as per the Easytrip instructions) but then 2 days ago it stopped working completely

The end result is that when this happens (and the last 2 days while I waited for the replacement tag), I have to sit in the cash lane, hand them the tag so they can input it manually (and get the usual confused "who's this tag with" questions) before I can get on my way.. and believe me it pisses me off more! :p

So back off :D - the new one arrived this morning at work so it'll be (hopefully) back to normal tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Second toll gave no change (person)

A manned (or womanned!) booth refused you change !??!!

Thats a bit Dublin Bus isn't it ?
    Where was that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Feckin brand new red Audi TT at the M1 toll this morning, pulls up to coin basket, me right behind them. Within 30 seconds had another 3-4 cars behind so cant reverse. Start to fumble looking for money, neither she, nor tyhe besuited passenger had the money, I had to give them 2 Euro just so that I could go about my business. Had they never been on the road before? Why cant people just have the money ready? Im sure they could afford it given the car.

Sorry rant over
    not green just in a hurry, i suppose the rich dont carry cash, and sure what would be new about he struggling bailing out the rich in this country?
    Sounds like you have a big chip on your shoulder.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

fluffer wrote: »
    Nah. That's what the car horn is for.

Feck giving them money
    bang on, op got scammed. I would expect some kind of sexual favours at least. Or offer to buy the car for 5 euro, that might work.

Did the car have "where's my bailout" sticker on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

I tend to have it ready but always go for an operator - the extreme left lane if open.

I once got through for free in a wheelspinning frenzy as there was an ambulance up my arse - toll booth guy did his best Murray Walker impression - go, Go, GO! :D

Advertisement