Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LTV <50% Mortgage 1% less on a mortgage

Options
  • 19-08-2011 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I am trying to get the reduced rate on my mortage as it at 48K with property selling for about 100k. I have read that new business will at BOI & AIB give a 1% reduction for these loans.

After asking BOI who I have my mortgage with for this rate I was told its only for new business. Should I change to AIB & get the 1% discount with them? I know it will cost about €800 for paper work etc. I would want a loan of 40K as have some savings.

Would BOI give me that rate if I have an offer from AIB?

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

AIB might not have the money to loan you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

AIB have your tax money to loan me. So thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Victor wrote: »
    AIB might not have the money to loan you.
    I don't buy that. There's no bother getting a mortgage from the likes of AIB or BOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭variety

Permanent TSB actually have the cheapest fixed rates on the market (but they're only available to those with 50% LTV or less). So try them.

But remember, it's not all about the equity. You need to have an income to show repayment ability above a Lender's standard variable rate (stressed at between 2% and 3%, depending on the Lender).

variety wrote: »
    Permanent TSB actually have the cheapest fixed rates on the market (but they're only available to those with 50% LTV or less). So try them.

But remember, it's not all about the equity. You need to have an income to show repayment ability above a Lender's standard variable rate (stressed at between 2% and 3%, depending on the Lender).

Thank you,

That a great idea. My wife who is working has her current acount with them. Mind you she has a job in a consturction company so maybe I need to think this one over. I am out of work now but hoping to start soon in a place. I know I have to wait 6months before I could get a loan.

Seems BOI will have me for a few months yet.

Thank you :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

If you have savings and your mortgage is variable you should consider paying your savings into your mortgage anyway.

You're most likely paying more interest on your mortgage than the net of tax interest you're earning on your savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

gar32 wrote: »
    AIB have your tax money to loan me. So thank you :)

Most if not all the money gone into banks has been used to bulk up capital reserves and bad debt provisions. It cant and wont be lent.

Anyone wrote: »
    Most if not all the money gone into banks has been used to bulk up capital reserves and bad debt provisions. It cant and wont be lent.

Thats not what the banks are saying. Any way if you really want to see how the banks are going read Blank of Ireland :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

its a joke that this is allowed to happen. The banks are there to provide services to the people who own it. For far too long the government has kept quiet about it. I'm going to dig a small hole in my house - get a safe - and withdraw all my money and put it in there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

BOI are 100% certainly *not* going to give to you a 1% reduction on a variable rate because you're under 50% LTV (though it would be a very interesting exercise trying to shake it out of them).

They have written to all variable rate customers in the last week advising of a .5% rate increase from the first of September- and their chief executive is on record advising that all customers can expect more of the same.

Keep in mind- for all intents and purposes- BOI are the only Irish financial institution who have managed to escape majority state control, however the cost of this is that they have to make a reasonable return for their investors- along with servicing their loans, whereas AIB etc have no such gun held to their heads.......

If you're currently with AIB- talk to them, but its extremely unlikely in the current climate that BOI will match or better any rate that AIB is able to offer.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Getting or switching a mortgage these days is so much hassle that it may not really be worth it for a mortgage of €40k.

I wouldn't throw your savings at the mortgage tbh, with only one income coming in, you may need access to cash for lots of unexpected expenditure,

Advertisement