Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road Helmet

• 19-08-2011 10:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Need to get a new helmet first one was from Smyths for 20 quid but i think its time for a upgrade, got a email from wiggle today and they are doing 10% off but none of the cheaper models seem to have reviews so not sure what they are like. Really don't want to spend more than 60 quid. And would consider a second hand one if anyone is looking to get rid of something.
    I presume they are all made to a minium safety rating and the reason for them being more expensive comes down to brand, weight ect.
    Thanks Mike

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭cython

mike12 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Need to get a new helmet first one was from Smyths for 20 quid but i think its time for a upgrade, got a email from wiggle today and they are doing 10% off but none of the cheaper models seem to have reviews so not sure what they are like. Really don't want to spend more than 60 quid. And would consider a second hand one if anyone is looking to get rid of something.
    I presume they are all made to a minium safety rating and the reason for them being more expensive comes down to brand, weight ect.
    Thanks Mike

Helmets (like shoes) are really something that is a personal preference. Different people can have different shaped heads, and while similar sizes within a single manufacturer (e.g. Bell's Array, Alchera and Solar) are usually close matches to each other, another manufacturer (e.g. Giro, Met, Spiuk) could have a different base shape, never mind size. There is scope for a certain amount of adjustment, but generally if you are looking at a completely new manufacturer, and you probably are if trading up from a €20 helmet in Smyths, you should go to a shop and try some on to make sure the shape suits as well as the size.

As for standards and what the price gets you, yes, all helmets should meet the same minimum standard. In fact I remember someone (possibly Lumen) posting on here before that in independent tests, some of the cheaper helmets were actually stronger than the more expensive ones, and exceeded the standard. The main differences in the more expensive ones are weight and ventilation. The former is important for comfort at pretty much all times, and the latter very relevant on warm days, and/or when pushing hard and sweating a lot as a result. Obviously more ventilation does create potential for weakness in the helmet, hence a possible explanation for the cheap ones outperforming the expensive in strength tests.

Advertisement