Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike for Triathlon recommendations.

• 19-08-2011 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi guys im hoping to get a new bike for triathlons can anyone recommend some good bikes,my budget would be 2000euro but would go 2500 if it made a big difference.Also would I be better off going for a road or TT Bike?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Do you have a road bike also?

What do you intend to use this bike for?

I started with a road bike and added Tri bars.
    This made for good training up hills, long spins, group spins, racing as well as turbo sessions.
    I recently got a tt bike and yes there is a notable improvement due to being more aero and positioned better as well as better for the run.

I'm now using both depending on the session.
    And over winter it'll be mainly the road bike with tt bike on turbo.

Group spins frown at tt bikes due to not being in a position to brake fast if in aero position. Nothing to say you couldn't stay in the up position by brakes though.

A tt bike is definitely faster for triathlons, so I'd recommend this once you're happy you can use it for all your training if no road bike. Nothing to say you can't just a road bike easier for group rides and wet long rides where it helps to access brakes and gears from one position.

For your budget, I'd recommend :
    Felt B series - B16/b14/B12
    Orbea Ordu Slr - maybe €2,700
    Giant/Trek also..

You could look at the second hand Market too to get a bargain - that's what I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭johnnyb1

Yes I have a road bike that I use for triathlons,my plan is to use it for training,the new TT bike il mostly use on the turbo over the winter and next season il use it in races and hopefully see a big differance in my:rolleyes: performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Gus1999

What size bike are you looking for Johnny? Would a 54cm P2C be of any interest?

Advertisement