Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

faulty netopia modem - unhappy resolution options

Options
  • 19-08-2011 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

After speaking with technical support it would appear my netopia is faulty.

The resolutions provided are explained in detail on the faulty power supply thread, but basically:

I can extend my contract by 12 months

I can buy a new modem off eircom for e50

Sort myself out.

Maybe I'm wrong to be, but I'm not happy with the above. We pay for our broadband, when the device eircom supplies to give us that broadband fails I would expect a replacement. I'm pretty sure we've that modem since we got broadband years ago so its not like we are going through them for fun!

I wont be taking the first two options, ill be opting to sort myself out, including looking into what different providers have to offer. Personally i think It would be silly to lose a customer over a modem, but maybe you don't agree.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

After speaking with technical support it would appear my netopia is faulty.

The resolutions provided are explained in detail on the faulty power supply thread, but basically:

I can extend my contract by 12 months

I can buy a new modem off eircom for e50

Sort myself out.

Maybe I'm wrong to be, but I'm not happy with the above. We pay for our broadband, when the device eircom supplies to give us that broadband fails I would expect a replacement. I'm pretty sure we've that modem since we got broadband years ago so its not like we are going through them for fun!

I wont be taking the first two options, ill be opting to sort myself out, including looking into what different providers have to offer. Personally i think It would be silly to lose a customer over a modem, but maybe you don't agree.

I appreciate how you feel witnessmenow,

eircom no longer have a policy where they give free replacment modems automatically, unless the modem is within 12 months contract, or a 12 mts continuation of this. This is the warrantee set out. Like most electrical equipment, televisions, phone, etc. At some point they will need replaced.

You'll find that most Internet, as well as other providers, will have similar replacement policies or perhaps no policy at all - as they don't provide them. I recently returned from Holland, where the comsumer will supply their own modem in the first place, or they can purchase one from the provider.

We may yet go back to those days when we used to repair things. Nowadays, we tend to scarp new phones,TVs, etc. just because they are bulky. I'm also old enough to remember my mom getting the kettle repaired in the Co-op.

Again, I understand where you're coming from and hope that you'll remain a customer with eircom.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Advertisement