Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Build, what am I missing and where can I improve?

Options
  • 19-08-2011 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭

ou5oh4.png
    Apologies for the very large picture, is there anything I'm missing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

882455?AWSAccessKeyId=0R7FMW7AXRVCYMAPTPR2&Expires=1313747977&Signature=NMUNiVds6CfrwvKfbgXMHBRkpF8%3D
    Apologies for the very large picture, is there anything I'm missing?
    The picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

The picture.
    Damn, it was there when I posted :o

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

The picture.

Bazinga

Ok it's there now, sorry for the mishap.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭trev179

not as far as i can see anyway bud looks good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

A CPU cooler if you plan on overclocking the 2500K wouldn't go amiss.

A nonstock CPU cooler if you plan on overclocking the 2500K wouldn't go amiss.

Very nice cooler, does it fit in the case okay? Just curious.
    I've just installed it's baby brother NH-U9B SE2 in a HTPC/Gaming build myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Monitor fail. 27" @ 1080p. Nothing special about it. Might as well round the budget up to 2K and go for something like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

On account of OCZ's increasingly bad record, I'd go for the Crucial M4 instead. It seems to be the most reliable drive of this generation. The speeds don't look as good but you also have to account for OCZ's inflated figures.

You don't need an 850W PSU. 650-800 would do. Including overclocking.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

-Crucial M4 is a better SSD
    -Spinpoint F3 is a better Hard Drive
    -Ridiculously expensive RAM, when this or even this will give the same performance.
    -PSU is overkill, XFX 650W is enough
    -Heatsink is probably overkill, Mugen 3 is probably enough to max out on overclocking. The Noctua would be a bit quieter though if that mattered, though I wouldn't pay twice the price for it.

Very nice cooler, does it fit in the case okay? Just curious.
    I've just installed it's baby brother NH-U9B SE2 in a HTPC/Gaming build myself.
    I'm certain I've seen the cooler in this case before, it is a little close but it fits.
    Monitor fail. 27" @ 1080p. Nothing special about it. Might as well round the budget up to 2K and go for something like this.
    I didn't realise the monitor was only 1080, reading comprehension fail on my part, and I didn't realise that an IPS panel of that size was anywhere near that price, always assumed they were much more expensive, thank you.
    Monotype wrote: »
    On account of OCZ's increasingly bad record, I'd go for the Crucial M4 instead. It seems to be the most reliable drive of this generation. The speeds don't look as good but you also have to account for OCZ's inflated figures.

You don't need an 850W PSU. 650-800 would do. Including overclocking.
    Swapped the PSU and SSD, I also read more about the OCZ Agility and it seems there are some problems with it anyway.
    deconduo wrote: »
    -Crucial M4 is a better SSD
    -Spinpoint F3 is a better Hard Drive
    -Ridiculously expensive RAM, when this or even this will give the same performance.
    -PSU is overkill, XFX 650W is enough
    -Heatsink is probably overkill, Mugen 3 is probably enough to max out on overclocking. The Noctua would be a bit quieter though if that mattered, though I wouldn't pay twice the price for it.
    -Swapped, thank you
    -I didn't know the F3's were still in stock, thought they were discontinued or something.
    -How I missed RAM for that price I do not know, again, thank you.
    -If you guys say it's enough, then it most certainly should e, thank you yet again.
    -Upon checking about that cooler it seems you are right. Sound is not a problem as I have installed the Scythe Mugen 2B in a friend's PC and it is amazingly quiet, so I assume this one is also.

Thank you all very much, I'll post the current basket as soon as I commit the changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Not bad. Only one storage HDD though? Am I the only one here that uses more than 2TB in his machine?

Let me know how you find that monitor if/when you get it. I've been thinking about upgrading my U2410.

Also, you might want to have a look at this over the Xonar DX. It's more expensive, but it's what I've settled on, after considering the DX (and others) for some time. Waiting on cashflow to even out a bit before I can actually buy it though.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Not bad. Only one storage HDD though? Am I the only one here that uses more than 2TB in his machine?

Let me know how you find that monitor if/when you get it. I've been thinking about upgrading my U2410.

Also, you might want to have a look at this over the Xonar DX. It's more expensive, but it's what I've settled on, after considering the DX (and others) for some time. Waiting on cashflow to even out a bit before I can actually buy it though.

I think 1TB will last me quite a while, I have a 1TB drive in my current PC and with all my games on Steam installed I still have like 300GB of space left, and I don't plan to transfer them all over (waste of space when I don't play them all, even if I have the space for them).

I think 1TB will last me quite a while, I have a 1TB drive in my current PC and with all my games on Steam installed I still have like 300GB of space left, and I don't plan to transfer them all over (waste of space when I don't play them all, even if I have the space for them).

Fair enough. I suppose I could make do with a 1TB drive if I ported all my media to a home server, but I don't have enough to justify the expense (or extra electricity) yet.

By the way, if you do happen to like that sound card, Pixmania are the cheapest place for the Forte at the moment. €120.

Fair enough. I suppose I could make do with a 1TB drive if I ported all my media to a home server, but I don't have enough to justify the expense (or extra electricity) yet.

By the way, if you do happen to like that sound card, Pixmania are the cheapest place for the Forte at the moment. €120.

I would go for that sound card, but it's a bit pricey for me, as I'm not an audiophile (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

any thoughts on going z68?

if money is no real object, and for not much more money, you could go for a z68 gen3 (with pcie 3.0) which puts you in a great position when ivy bridge comes out.

HWVS doesn't stock either though :(

you'd be looking for an MSI z68 gd65 (or gd80) gen3.0

or the Asrock z68 extreme4 gen3.0

• Advertisement

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    any thoughts on going z68?

if money is no real object, and for not much more money, you could go for a z68 gen3 (with pcie 3.0) which puts you in a great position when ivy bridge comes out.

HWVS doesn't stock either though :(

you'd be looking for an MSI z68 gd65 (or gd80) gen3.0

or the Asrock z68 extreme4 gen3.0

I thought about it but since I have no need to use the integrated graphics or the SSD Caching I decided to stick with P67.

I thought about it but since I have no need to use the integrated graphics or the SSD Caching I decided to stick with P67.

No SSD caching? That drive would be great for it. 60GB for a cache to speed up your games / apps, and devote the rest to an OS drive. It is only about a tenner more for a Z68 board...

No SSD caching? That drive would be great for it. 60GB for a cache to speed up your games / apps, and devote the rest to an OS drive. It is only about a tenner more for a Z68 board...
    Hmm, I think I might get 2 60GB instead of partitioning one and do just that, I'll have to sleep on it though.

Actually the SSD caching works best with 20-30GB drives. If you have a 60GB drive then you are better off keeping as a stand alone drive as it will have much better performance that way. Its big enough to hold your OS + a few games/applications.

Actually the SSD caching works best with 20-30GB drives. If you have a 60GB drive then you are better off keeping as a stand alone drive as it will have much better performance that way. Its big enough to hold your OS + a few games/applications.
    Well, I planned to store most of my games on the HDD as it would take up quite a large amount of space (I have a large amount of games that I play regularly enough on steam), I might get a smallish SSD for a cache and a 60GB SSD for the OS if I decide to go that route.

You won't get better performance with a 20GB drive (assuming MLC); the reason you might see better results is that drives that small are usually SLC, which are faster.

You won't get better performance with a 20GB drive (assuming MLC); the reason you might see better results is that drives that small are usually SLC, which are faster.

No I wasn't trying to say you'd get better performance with smaller drives, rather that SSD caching makes more sense with smaller drives. With a 20GB drive you can't fit anything more than Windows on it (if even that) so SSD caching is awesome. Gives you a nice boost over a mechanical drive for everything you wouldn't be able to fit on it.

However a 60GB has enough room for your OS + most commonly used games + applications. If you were to use SSD caching then, you would suffer a drop in performance over using the SSD as a standalone drive. In that case its not really worth it anymore.

That's... confusing. You make it sound like you're using SSD caching on the SSD.

I haven't used it, so I don't know, but I suppose if Venom had the 128GB SSD, he could change the cache size on the fly, see what suits best.

That's... confusing. You make it sound like you're using SSD caching on the SSD.

I haven't used it, so I don't know, but I suppose if Venom had the 128GB SSD, he could change the cache size on the fly, see what suits best.

Sorry I'm tired, I'll try to make it a bit clearer :P

Basically if you use SSD caching you lose performance over a standalone SSD. Thats fine for small SSDs where you wouldn't be able to fit more than the OS on them anyway. However with larger drives where you can fit a significant amount of stuff on them you are better off leaving it as a standalone drive.

• Advertisement

Ah, I see. Point taken.

Then again, when you have 600GB of games, would it not be better to have them all sped up 2x, versus your five most-played sped up 5x? I suppose it's personal preference. I don't know enough about it to know how much either scenario would increase performance.

Advertisement