Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State/Government Departments Listed as companies

Options
  • 19-08-2011 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Recently while searching the Kompass.com database for information on a new client i inadvertently came across a government department listed alongside other companies in the directory.
    This peaked my curiosity and further investigation revealed that many state departments were listed as businesses; such as the Revenue Commissioners, the Department of Foreign Affairs, the Office of the Taoiseach, the Department of Social Welfare, My Local County Council, The Gardai, The Courts Service and indeed most other State agencies/Departments. that all these state agencies were listed was perplexing to me. i cross-checked my findings on the Dun & Bradstreet website and got the same results. Having never had any business dealings with the state i am at a loss to explain why some of these entities should be operating as for profit companies and posting their credit worthiness on these sites.

My business is small and having been unpaid by some insolvent clients recently a friend advised that i first check out potential clients by use of a business directory so if there is a startlingly obvious reason for the above mentioned examples please pardon my ignorance as i would not in the past have had any cause to use such directories.
    Anyone able to shed some light on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

I've been told it has something to do with contract law. Although it's probably more about borrowing money. It seems that every government is listed on D&B in this way with major departments listed as well. It seems it's simply how stuff is done.

Seriously, ask these guys. boards.ie/conspiracytheories
    The conspiracy theorists love this stuff. It's all smoke and daggers to them ;)
    All sorts of weird and wonderful answers will come your way. If they don't confuse you too much, or scare the crap out of you, you'll get some answers

Failing that, someone in legal may know the answer, but they may send an invoice http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=633

• Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

jim90 wrote: »
    Recently while searching the Kompass.com database for information on a new client i inadvertently came across a government department listed alongside other companies in the directory.
    This peaked my curiosity and further investigation revealed that many state departments were listed as businesses; such as the Revenue Commissioners, the Department of Foreign Affairs, the Office of the Taoiseach, the Department of Social Welfare, My Local County Council, The Gardai, The Courts Service and indeed most other State agencies/Departments. that all these state agencies were listed was perplexing to me. i cross-checked my findings on the Dun & Bradstreet website and got the same results. Having never had any business dealings with the state i am at a loss to explain why some of these entities should be operating as for profit companies and posting their credit worthiness on these sites.

My business is small and having been unpaid by some insolvent clients recently a friend advised that i first check out potential clients by use of a business directory so if there is a startlingly obvious reason for the above mentioned examples please pardon my ignorance as i would not in the past have had any cause to use such directories.
    Anyone able to shed some light on this?

There are two possible reasons for listing them in business directory.
    1. Same reason they are in the phone book, so people can get information/contact details about them
    2. They are actually limited companies that seek to enslave us.

The CT forum denizens / Freemen types will go for the later, but the first options seem more sensible imho.

Advertisement